Wax Forum

Wax Forum (http://www.waxforum.com/index.php)
-   Paint Care (http://www.waxforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Right product for job? (http://www.waxforum.com/showthread.php?t=783)

Altimus Prime 06-08-2005 09:43 PM

Right product for job?

Hello all! I'm glad I found this forum. I got a question.

I have a silver 2000 Nissan Altima. I need to know if Mother's California Gold original formula cleaner wax is the right product for the job I need to do, and if I've got the right stuff to apply and remove it.

My car came with an Auto Armor package that included paint protectant. For five years, I had access to its paint cleaner/renewer. The paint is still smooth and shiny, no dulling or rust, but I'm now out of the Auto Armor product and need to use something else.

Silver is very forgiving, but there is some minor surface dirt that washing won't remove, along with some faint water marks (from rain?) and a few superficial scratches here and there.

So, I want to clean and protect. I get the impression the cleaner wax is just what I need. Is it? While I could do a two-step - clean, then protect - doing it in one is of course a time and energy saver. I'll be doing this myself, by hand.

If it is the right product, what's the best way to apply and remove it? I have a couple microfiber applicators and a super plush terry cloth. Will those do?

I don't want to get too long, but just to add - the car is a daily driver, it is garage kept and it's washed (regularly) by me, by hand.

admin 06-09-2005 02:45 AM

Re: Right product for job?

Altimus Prime,

Welcome!

It sounds like you've got the right idea.

It sounds like you could use a clay bar to remove the surface contaminants on the the paint. Along with the Showtime lubricant (which is also a great instant detailer), our Clay Bar Paint Saving System kit includes a sample size Original Formula Carnauba Cleaner wax which is enough to do an average car.

You might need to address severe scratches with a scratch remover product (and we have a good one), but you can spot treat areas that need extra attention after waxing -- just be sure to re-wax those areas after removing or minimizing the scratches... that is, if you are averse to getting the scratch remover until you desperately need it.

You may wish to invest in some extra microfiber towels to also remove the wax, but plush cotton terry will work fine. You can't have enough clean towels, but if you don't, be sure to shake frequently.

Our products are very consumer-friendly, but for extensive tips on application, you might try reading our Detail guide at:

http://www.detailguide.com/

And for a video reels on how to use the Clay Bar as well as the Cleaner Wax, see the "How To" section here:

http://www.mothers.com/reelworld/

Please let us know if you need some more help!

Altimus Prime 06-09-2005 06:46 AM

Thanks for the reply.

The surface contaminants don't seem that bad to me. There's a speck here or there that won't remove with regular washing. None of the scratches are deep - just surface stuff. As for the water marks, most of the time I don't even see them, unless lighting conditions make them visible or if I'm looking at the car at just the right angle.

Will the cleaner wax be able to remove the water marks?

Right now I just have the one towel. Sounds like I should get another. I used to use cheese cloth - was that good or bad?

Larry A 06-09-2005 07:43 AM

Clay will remove all the dirt and crap out of your paint. After 5 years you will have some on your paint.If you buy a clay kit you will also get a small bottle of cleaner wax with it. Another good choice for a wax would be FX, it also has a cleaner in it.

Altimus Prime 06-09-2005 08:44 AM

BTW, I bought the can paste of the cleaner wax, not the liquid. I have no aversion to using paste.

Altimus Prime 06-13-2005 10:43 AM

I did my car this past weekend (Saturday) and it came out pretty good. Thanks for the help!

Bama 06-13-2005 10:49 AM

Good to hear. Nowdays, with the new synthetic formulations a lot of folks are disregarding the carnauba waxes. However, the carnaubas still have their place, and Mother's has some of the best carnauba waxes on the market, including the cleaner/wax. The cleaner/wax is great for daily drivers and people who don't have a lot of time.

Altimus Prime 06-13-2005 10:57 AM

It did a good job of removing the few surface contaminants on the paint. Its got a nice smooth feel to it now, and looks really good. I doubt it looks like a five year old car!

The only things that gave me some trouble were these black specks, which may have been tar. I was able to get rid of most of them.

I was able to do the whole job inside a garage, and was able to let the car sit for a few hours before venturing outside. It had rained while the car was inside. The road was dry when I left, but there was a really wet fog, and water was condensing on the windows, and I could see some drops rolling up the hood.

The car looked OK the next day, and today. But should I worry about the moisture messing up the job???

I went over the hood and trunk top surfaces twice. I intend to go back and do the roof a second time after the next wash. I figure those upper surfaces take the most abuse.

Bama 06-13-2005 11:40 AM

As long as you had the wax removed before you ventured out, then there should be no problems with the wax. Of course, no body likes to have their vehicle get wet or dirty right after they wax it.

I like to pay more attention to my roof, hood, and trunk lid also because they tend to attract more contaminants and more solar exposure. Another coat after the next wash probably wouldn't hurt on those areas. However, since this product is a cleaner/wax, it will remove some of the wax already on the vehicle due to the cleaners. But two coats will ensure a uniform application. If you want to layer the wax, you may want to use the Original Pure Carnauba to top the Cleaner/Wax. It is a pure wax with no cleaners, and you can apply it as often as you like without affecting (removing) the wax already on the finish.

Altimus Prime 06-13-2005 12:27 PM

I had totally finished the job - wax on, wax off - :) - and the car had sat for a while before I went out.

That brings up a question - does wax need or benefit from time to "set"?

Yeah, I would have preferred not having that wet fog, but the car looked perfectly clean the next morning, so it didn't mess anything up. At least I was able to wait out the rain and wait for the road to dry.

Bama 06-14-2005 06:48 AM

Forrest or one of the Mother's guys would probably be the one to answer this question, but I don't know of any Mother's waxes that need to "set up." Once the product has hazed, it is generally ready for removal. A good way to check the wax is the swipe test. After the wax as been applied and hazed, take a mircrofiber or plush terry towel and with one finger make a swipe across the wax. If it comes off clean and easy, then it is ready for removal. If not, you need to wait a little longer. Usually by the time you wax a section and get something to drink, the wax is ready to remove.

Forrest T. 06-14-2005 07:14 AM

Wax does not need to cure or set.