Wax Forum

Wax Forum (http://www.waxforum.com/index.php)
-   Paint Care (http://www.waxforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What Products for my Harley? (http://www.waxforum.com/showthread.php?t=4668)

WARG 05-26-2012 11:14 PM

What Products for my Harley?

I have a 7 year old Harley Fatboy that is my baby. It has always been garage kept and is under a cover. The paint is in good shape except for the occasional ding from the road, etc. I am looking for some products to really bring out the shine in the burgundy paint and spiff up my old girl.

I have been looking at the clay bar system, then the 3 step wax system to follow up and the Showtime Instant detailer in between washes. Also looking at the Mothers chrome polish for the chrome (and a lot of it). Is this the best route? And should I top off with the Reflections Top Coat or a spray wax?

I'm new to the clay bar and I'm all out of my other products so I want to buy some good stuff without breaking the bank. thanks in advance.

Here's a pic:
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...DSC_0671-2.jpg

ffboy 05-27-2012 03:06 AM

Re: What Products for my Harley?

Nice! It sure has lots of shiny metal bits. From the pictures, it looks like it is all chrome, but also looks like some of the shiny metal parts may not be chrome, but something similar in looks. For those, California gold chrome and/or metal polish are 2 options.

Chrome polish has cleaning agents, as well as protective polymers so using top coat may no longer be needed.

For the painted parts, Step2 micropolishing glaze and step 3 pure carnauba or top coat, and regular maintenance with showtime detailer, FX spray wax or reflections spray wax

abnot 05-27-2012 03:44 AM

Nice looking Harley.

If your plan was to top the chrome with Top Coat or spray wash, that should not be necessary. The chrome polish will clean and apply some protection to the chrome.

WARG 05-27-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffboy (Post 27529)
Nice! It sure has lots of shiny metal bits. From the pictures, it looks like it is all chrome, but also looks like some of the shiny metal parts may not be chrome, but something similar in looks. For those, California gold chrome and/or metal polish are 2 options.

Chrome polish has cleaning agents, as well as protective polymers so using top coat may no longer be needed.

For the painted parts, Step2 micropolishing glaze and step 3 pure carnauba or top coat, and regular maintenance with showtime detailer, FX spray wax or reflections spray wax

I have read a lot and it just makes my head spin and there seems to be a lot of Mothers products that do the same thing or atleast overlap. All the shiny parts are chrome, and then the frame engine guard, etc. is black powdercoat. I'll use the chrome polish on the chrome and the wax system on the painted/powdercoated parts. You mentioned skipping step 1. Is there a reason for this? I thought with the paint being 7 years old, the whole process, including clay bar would be beneficial but I'm the one asking for advise so I'm all ears...thanks again guys.

I was thinking: clay bar/steps 1,2,3 maybe 2 - 3 times/year
Steps 1, 2, 3 only after the other washes

Also, you mentioned a spray wax or showtime detailer for regular maintenance. Can I use this on the chrome as well just as a touch up? For those times I'm doing a quick detail in between washes.

Forrest T. 05-27-2012 03:55 PM

Welcome. That's an outstanding photo, BTW. I only wish I could work a camera as well.

I'd suggest washing, then clay, following by Step 1 Pure Polish (Pre-Wax Cleaner). Follow with Step 2 Micro Polishing Glaze (Sealer and Glaze) and then Step 3 Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax.

Picking up a bottle of California Gold Spray Wax and using it to maintain the finish after (or instead of) washing each time is a good idea. Think of it as an instant detailer on steroids - it'll add some protection, and help extend the life of the wax.

I'd only use clay and Step 1 Pure Polish once a year unless some unforeseen problem comes up that you need to address. Use step 2 Micro Polishing Glaze every other time you wax, before using the wax.

So, if for example you wax once a month, every other month use Step 2 Micro Polishing Glaze before applying the Step 3 Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax. If you wash weekly use the Spray Wax each time after washing.

And yes, you can use the Spray Wax on the chrome for your in-between detailing needs.

WARG 05-27-2012 04:38 PM

Thanks Forrest. That is a very simple routine and simple is good for me, LOL!. The picture is a result of good equipment (Nikon D60 SLR with a good lense) and good lighting (close to dusk). It's not due to my ability, trust me.

thanks again!

TonyfromOz 05-27-2012 06:42 PM

Man, and I thought that my six spoke alloy wheels were a bit fiddly to clean.

That's a lot of Chrome.

Tony.

WARG 05-27-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyfromOz (Post 27541)
Man, and I thought that my six spoke alloy wheels were a bit fiddly to clean.

That's a lot of Chrome.

Tony.

It's not too bad actually. A good spoke brush helps. That's an 18" wheel in the pic but I have a 21" on the way. It should be easier to clean.