Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

NXT Swirl Removal Abilities...

I did a 2000 Lexus something or other this morning. A guy I know bought it at auto auction for his wife. Anyway, he wanted me to give it a quick once over so it would look good when he gave it to her. I debated about what I should use on it. I just got the Wolfgang products on Friday so I was half tempted to try that out. But I was really interested in what NXT would do for swirls. Its that pearl white color that Lexus has, so the swirls didn`t really show up that well anyway. If you got it in the sun just right then you could see them. It was pretty bad. I figured this was as good a test bed as any. If it did remove some swirls then I would notice it for sure.

Since it is white it is really hard to take pictures of the swirls. I did the best I could though. I worked the NXT on the hood with a PC and a red Meguiar`s pad. I probably worked it in for about 3 to 5 minutes. The time stamp on the pictures is 6 minutes apart, so I`m sure I worked on it for a few minutes at least. From what I can tell, the swirl reduction is in the 50% range for this vehicle. I don`t know if they are removed or just filled. All I know is that there is significantly more space between the swirls than there was before. It may be as high as 60-75 percent reduction, but I think its on the lower end of that scale.

I took the best pictures I could so you could see what the camera sees. Hopefully it helps. The car looked fantastic, of course. NXT really looks good on pearl. Very glossy. It doesn`t have the glow of PPG like I would like to have used on it, but it was accpetable enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    That one was the before. Here is the `after`. You can see a reduction in swirls even though the angle wasn`t the same. You know what its like working on a white car in the sun. I could barely see the LCD on the camera to take the picture. lol NXT does work pretty well in the sun, however. The surface of the car never got hot, but the sun was out all morning. It was a fine day for detailing.

Boss_429
    That`s a pretty nice reduction in swirls for a wax............ that`s for sure!

Post Thanks / Like
    The second picture still has some glare from product that wasn`t buffed off completely. I see that now, of course. I was snow blinded while I was taking the picture. lol The second picture makes it appear that more swirls are removed than actually gone, but it is really close to what it actually looked like. I detail with polarized sunglasses on and I can usually see them much better. I`ve got pictures taken from behind a polarized lens that show it a little more accurately, but not by much. These really show you how many swirls you could see and then close to how many there were after. The spread of the spiderweb is much smaller after. I think that is the biggest part of it.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jngrbrdman
    ...I was snow blinded while I was taking the picture. lol ...
    On a bright day, I find that experience as one of the tougher issues to deal with when working with white vehicles. Moreso than any other color including silvers. I get where I miss spots while removing product.

Did the NXT "darken" the white? I had plans to buy NXT to use on a couple of vehicles which sit outside 24/7, but was deterred by a comment about darkening lighter colors. I stuck instead with the AIO/4*UPP combo, which is just fine.

Boss_429
    Jngrbrdman,

Yep................ for the market that NXT is intended for, I think that is a nice feature. Even if it only hides some of the spider webs for a short period of time, I`m sure that the average consumer will appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    It did darken it a little bit. Just enough to get some reflections out of it. Not enough that anyone is going to notice or even anything that you could photograph. I don`t think that the darkness is permenant either. The blue truck I detailed on Monday lost a lot of that initial `wow` factor by Friday. The dust attraction on the vehicle wasn`t bad, and that is just another plus side for the product. It still looked reflective, but it lost that plastic fake looking gloss that it had on the first day. I`m guessing that is the oils evaporating or something. Its an interesting product that I really can`t make my mind up on yet. Its worth using for now. Until I find out that it only lasts for like 2 weeks in the summer or something like that... lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Another great informative review from you :mohawk

I used NXT on a white car last week also, I applied it with a PC and Megs yellow pad and I noticed that same swirl reduction. Anyway, I used it on most vehicle except the roof. I had applied there AIO+SG and as it was still beading I decided to put there just a coat of #16.

I don`t see differences in darkness between the roof and the rest of the car, and after days of rain they both bead equally.
    Portuguese details detalhe.net

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a before and after of Mom`s black camry. No prep, just NXT via PC and a polishing pad.

Before

After, sorry the picsa are not exactly the same. The sun had moved a bit and my angles aren`t exactly the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jngrbrdman: Awesome write up dude, thx for sharing.

Im thinking is the NXT did in fact reduce the webbing by 50%, then mayeb if you used a high quality paint cleanr before the actualy application of NXT the swirl reduction would have been even more significant.

But judging from trh NXT use alone, the results are impressive.

-Mike

Owner - Mike`s Car Wash & Detail

A New Standard of Excellence.

"Invest in a company that you know can be run by an idiot...because soon enough, it will be." ~Peter Lynch

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by EBPcivicsi
    ...No prep, just NXT via PC and a polishing pad.
    Your choice of polishing pad vs a finishing pad for a LSP piqued my curiosity. Why one vs. the other?

I believe NXT fills rather than removes swirls/scratches (am I right?).

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mr. Clean
    Your choice of polishing pad vs a finishing pad for a LSP piqued my curiosity. Why one vs. the other?

Interesting.
    Jngr used a cutting pad in his example that starts this thread.
    EBP used a polishing pad.
    :dunno
    My application was with a finishing pad and seemed to work fine.

Just a guess, but maybe because the two vehicles that Jngr and EBP worked on had major swirl problems to deal with, they felt the more aggressive pad would help.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mr. Clean

What Charles said was correct, I used a polishing pad because I felt it would do a better job of maximizing NXT`s ability to hide/remove swirls.

However, I have used a finishing pad with NXT on a prep surface and found the pad to load VERY quickly. It also seemed to take more product than normal for even coverage. Since then I have applied it with a polishing pad.

I will try it with a finishing pad again to see if I can duplicte my results.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the red pad for the same reason. I figured that NXT could use all the help it could get. My question is how it works if you try doing this by hand? The amature shopping at AutoZone armed with a PC would be a rare beast indeed. This is marketed for people who are going to apply it by hand. I think on my next car I`m going to do this same experiment on the hood with the supplied applicator and see how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am average Jane shop at Autozone type, for the daily driver. By hand this gave me shiny results and seemed to reduce my scratches /swirls by about 50 percent which that`s a noticeable improvement, I was smiling. Would have been better if I clayed, polished and then used it, but I doubt many people shopping chains would either unless they`ve tried mothers 3 step or deep crystal steps. They`d probably try it by itself like me. Personally I am going to try clay/polish/nxt next month. For me joining here DC, I`m open to trying other quality stuff like poorboys and UPP once I get to bottom of the NXT, but before joining DC, what was at the stores was all I heard of. P.S. No matter how hard I tried to spread thinly by hand it didnt glide off like it glided on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information