Post Thanks / Like

In Praise of Griots

I have manners enough not to tout Griot`s on Dwayne`s Forum, but I just thought I would share this bit of info. Griots has gotten a bit of a bad rep, mostly due to the fact that they sell a $150 PC for $200. Fair enough, but ponder this- When I was starting out, I didn`t have access to this great Forum and all the knowledge here. All I had was a bunch of conflicting information about which model PC to get, which backing plate, which pads, heat buildup. It`s enough to make your head spin when you`re new to it all. So I decided to go for the Griot`s setup and i`m glad I did. No decisions to make - You get the PC with the big carrying case, a great 6" ventilated backing plate with the 6" counterweight and really good orange polishing pads. No conflicting info - orange pad for polish, red for wax. Now that I know about the stuff I still think it`s a great combo, and for the extra $50 I may have avoided damaging my paint with overly agressive pads or whatever when I thought lambswool was the softest pad you could use on your paint. In retrospect, I have no regrets and BTW - I still really like those orange pads!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good post...
    I found them late (after buying many products)and just compared their prices on many items..and wow,,,over priced...
    They have some great stuff...I get there magazine....but those prices push`d me over...it would be someone buying me something as a gift from there ....for me to get something..

Post Thanks / Like
    Griots... For the enthusiast!!!! We all have to make a living !!! They put out a nice catologue and if I ever can afford a 03 Ferrari I`ll buy my tools from Griots !!!!
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Although griots is very pricey, I cant say one bad thing about any of their products. Their undercarriage spray is EXCELLENT!
    I am mad that I spent almost $5 for two tire dressing sponges, then saw the same ones for 12 for $8 on another site
    We all have to learn somehow I guess

Post Thanks / Like
    Clean Dean,
    Aren`t the tools included with the Ferrari? I think they throw a driving jacket in, too.
    I doubt I`ll ever be blessed enough to find this out first hand!

Dave

Perpetual Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not everything is that far out on the price. The hardware is high, but most of the chemicals are fair and reasonable. Interior cleaner, Speed Shine, Leather Care, etc, are all within a buck (more or less) of everyone elses, and the Speed Shine is a lot less. IMO, there are actually some bargains to be had, if you comb through the catalog with a sharp eye.

Mosca

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used the speed shine with no regrets, it`s easy too use with great results, had a bottle fall and split at the neck, i reported this too them, and got a bottle free in return, even though that was`nt my purpose. Used the paste carnauba, good results, with very little residue.Not keen on all there products because of price, but some are worth it. Other products out there which are cheaper, and then others more expensive.

Shine? That's not a shine Cujo31's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like ACE, I LOVE the Orange pads from Griots. Those pads are only 11 bucks and last (so far) forever.. lol The Red pads are very nice as well.

Some things there are pricey but from what I have seen well worth it because of the CS you get and the quality of the product. I bought my 3 ft platform ladder there because no other place I looked had them. I love Griots ... and as most here know, its worth it to pay a little extra for great CS.
    John ( aka Cujo31 )
    Custom Car Care LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah- those orange pads are really nice. They are agressive enough to remove minor paint defects, but fine enough to use as a final finish prior to waxing. I can`t understand why those concave foam pads are so highly touted - Unless I have a specific paint defect, I basically use the weight of the machine as my only pressure. With a concave pad, it seems you are always bearing down. I also like the yellow Megs pad for application of 1-step products like Klasse or Polish with Carnuba. They call it a polishing pad, but it is much softer than the Griots. Just enough bite for mild cleaning action.

Post Thanks / Like
    I first got into detailing after i got a new car and a groits magazine in the mail. It made me think, i should take care of this investment, and i like a clean car anyways. So I ordered just about everything from them polish, wax, pc, dressing, pads, brushes,towels, clay, ect.. and i still use most of their products except the wax and polish because i found easier stuff to work with. Their prices are expensive but when you are new and don`t know whats out there, you can buy their products and they will work great without messing up your car. Like the pc and polishes for example, groits stated you can bear down as hard as you want and it won`t mess up your paint, I tried it and hes right the pc just moves slower and gets hot.

Post Thanks / Like
    That was exactly my point - Now that I know my way around I buy products from many sites, including Griots, but they really make it simple for the person that doesn`t know what`s what. One car wash, one wheel cleaner, one hand polish, one polishing pad... You just can`t screw your car up by making the wrong choices.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just look`d at my Griots magazine...(Its in my reading area of the house)...They really do have some great stuff....Dwayne may want to take a peek......but just too expensive....I fDwayne can get some of this stuff....and bring the prices down...hummmmmm
    jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I love the catalog. We have considered adding larger items but decided that detailing supplies is where we want to concentrate our efforts.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s nice stuff, but truth is, there is better stuff around for less money. The only thing I haven`t found are those cool orange polishing pads. Other than that, what for?

Perpetual Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try the Speed Shine quick detailer. It`s a fantastic product. $30/gallon, or $3.50 per 16 oz, it`s cheaper than any other QD you can name. (Or, you can get the 35 oz for $9.95).

It is one awesome QD, very slick, very "waxy", similar to Crystal Mist rather than Meg`s or Mother`s. Some people love the smell, some people don`t (I dislike the smell, a lot).

The guy makes a nice buck, sure. But you always get top notch products and service there. For some people, that`s more important than the price.

Tom

Thread Information