Post Thanks / Like

Update on "They burned my paint."

I posted a thread here a while ago entitled "Help! They burned my paint" only to find out through further investigation that it isn`t actually burned. (Rookie panic) It is swirled.

I`ve tried to fix the problem myself, with limited results. I got a Griot`s catalog and went order crazy. I bought their car wash, paint cleaning clay, speed shine, fine hand polish, carnuba wax, best of show wax, various applicator pads, various cotton and microfiber cloths, etc.... In other words, spent a poop load. Spent about 12 hours in the garage with her (the S4) and nearly ruined both of my shoulders in the process. MAN, did it look nice in the garage light! But when I took it outside the next day (whincing in pain just trying to move my arms) and got it in direct sunlight, the swirls were still there. Not as bad though. I`d say there was about a 50% reduction in swirls.

I`m going to return my Griot`s stuff, except the towels and try something else. I`m not saying Griot`s stuff is bad, I just want to find the BEST product possible. I don`t want something that does a pretty good job.

So, what to use? I read some folks on this site talking up Meguiar`s NXT tech wax, so I bought some to give it a try. I also purchased their NXT spray way for touch up quick waxes and their Scatch X. Meguiars calls the Scratch X a swirl and scratch remover. I`m guessing that it`s basically a filler of some sort. I also plan to buy a PC (that`s correct for a Porter Cable orbital?). But what steps and products should I use to poilsh the car?

I`m reading things in threads that I don`t understand. Like different polishing pads or finishing pads, using #34 before or while applying NXT, different speeds on the PC for different needs... Given that I`m new to all this, it`s confusing. But the fact remains that I need to do my car and I need to learn.

So can anyone suggest?:
    1. Do I use Dawn to remove current wax?
    2. What polish should I use? And what speed on the PC should I use? What pads should I use?
    3. How should I remove the polish, by hand or with PC?
    4. Should I apply the NXT with the PC? And should I use this #34(?) along with it?
    5. How should I remove the NXT, by hand or with PC?
    6. Any other recommendations for the inexperienced?

Think of yourselves as professors and I`m the eager student. :jump School me.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Im not so sure that washing the car will remove your wax and what you have previously already done. Im thinking wash the car and maybe some Dual Action Cleaner Polish (DACP). Should clean up what is already on the car and remove some of the swirls that you are talking about. Then I would follow up with some #9 swirl remover. Should get the really fine swirls out and leave your car ready for waxing. There are also plenty of other products that work great like poorboys SSR line and there Pro Polish. I was able to find the Meg`s stuff locally and alot of people like the results. I see you use a PC so you may not be able to get all the swirls you are talking about just depends on how deep they are, how abrassive your pads are, and always start with the least aggressive and work your to the more aggresive pads and products. I would thing DACP with a green edge pad maybe yellow to start with. I wouldn`t go any further than the yellow pad though since your new to it. The PC should be able to remove some of the imperfections (how well is debateable). Sorry for the length. hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just my thoughts and some products that have worked well for me to get rid of swirls ...
    1. Skip the Dawn and use a good car shampoo ... Lot of people like Meg`s Gold Class ... I love 4*
    2. With a PC set on at 5-6 and a Meg`s Yellow Polishing pad ...
    A. buff Meg`s #83 DACP until it produces a dry haze and wipe off with a MF
    B. Buff Meg`s #82 SFP until the product looks almost clear on the paint ... DO NOT BUFF DRY
    and remove with a MF
    C. With a Meg`s finishing Pad and the PC set on about 4-4 1/2 apply a very thin coat of NXT
    and remove after the drying time (I wait about 1 hour) with a MF
    Some people go directly from DACP to NXT but I feel I get extra shine from the SFP.
    Use a dedicated pad with each product.
    I might apply the first coat of NXT by hand to make sure I get into all the tight areas.
    D. After 24 hours apply another coat of NXT and sit back and enjoy.

Oh ... I have only used a light mist of #34 on my pad when first starting top apply the NXT. Once you get going it goes on great.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the ignorance, but what`s an MF? And what is #34? What do you mean, "do not buff dry?"

Thank you for replying.:-p

Post Thanks / Like
    MF is a micro fiber towel
    #34 is Meg`s Final Inspection which is a quick detailing spray that does not contain silicone or wax.
    Some products you buff until they are almost dry or until they turn into a light haze. DACP is one of those products that need to be buffed that way ... #82 on the other hand seems to work best if not buffed to the point of hazing or drying out, because it then introduces new swirls into the paint.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kim:
    Not to confuse the issue too much, but do you feel the Meguiar`s #82 Swirl Free Polish works better than Meg`s #9 Swirl Remover 2.0?
    The only reason I ask is because of the packaging. The smallest quantity of #82 he can get is 32 oz. The #9 is available in a 16 oz. bottle. 32 oz. will last a hobby detailer a looong time if used only on their own cars.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Charles,
    I have used both ...
    As far as the end result they are about the same ...
    So yes, get the #9 Swirl remover.
    I just like using the other better
    Personal taste!
    Thanks for pointing that out ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Efso: Did the detailer offer to correct the problem besides asking for an opportunity to correct it himself? Would he allow you to go to another detailer at his cost? I would threaten to report him to the Better Business Bureau if he has lousy customer service and satisfaction.

I have Meguiars #9 right now. I am thinking of getting the Swirl-Free Polish though. I think it is probably one of the most versatile products on the market. A more aggressive pad or a second application should be all you need for the toughest jobs. DACP scares me a little bit. Both SFP and DACP are professional products so they do have quite a bit of bite.
    "Aerodynamics are for people who don`t know how to build engines" - Enzo Ferrari

Post Thanks / Like
    Rosso,
    The detailer did ask for the opportunity to fix the damage. I simply don`t want the moron to touch my car again. The dealer is willing to look at the car and reimburse me if I want to take it somewhere else. But it`s such a friggin hassle. I`d have to take a couple hours off work, drive to the dealership, sit and debate/convince the sales manager that, yea, it`s not horribly damaged but it`s still not acceptable (A point that`s harder to make now that I`ve acted too quickly and lessened the swirls). Even if that takes only two hours, and they give me $100 bucks to pay a detailer to polish it, it ends up costing me more than a hundred bucks because of the lost time at work. So, I kinda just want to skip that step. Besides, doing it myself gives me a chance to restore some of the enthusiasm and that emotional attachment that I lost by going through this ordeal. Spending time with the car, polishing it, buffing it and seeing the results is quite theraputic for restoring sentimental value.

Is Meguiars #9 more or less abrasive than their swirl free polish?

And is that YOUR Ferrari???:bigscream

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I understand how big a hassle it would be to try and obtain a refund. Yeah, stick around here and learn some tricks of the trade. So what if your car has a few swirls, it can still be shiny from a few feet away. Most cars have some swirls anyway.

No, it`s actually Ken Griffey Junior`s Ferrari. The SFP is about the same level of abrasiveness I hear. However, I don`t think it has as many fillers in it which is a good thing if your really want to know if the swirls are gone.
    "Aerodynamics are for people who don`t know how to build engines" - Enzo Ferrari

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a black A4 and from what I`ve been reading on Autopia, Audi paint is very tough to remove blemishes from. As a matter of fact there is a thread over there posted by a guy who has a swirled up black A4. He`s in the process of seeing what to do.

As for me, the products I`ve gathered to use in the event of their necessity include the yellow,orange, white and black Lake Country Pads, I just bought the 1z polishes, and I also have DACP, PI III MG, Menzerna IP and FP and several others

From what I`ve been reading, the 1z polishes work very well on Audis, you can take a look at the threads by Accumulator also over on Autopia.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Thread Information