Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Windows, need help!

well, i keep getting more and more frustrated with my windows. everytime i do windows, both inside and out, in looks clean. however, whenever the sun hits the windows at a certain angle, it seems that theres always a place that i miss, and no matter how many times i do it, it seems theres always a place that i seem to miss. it stands out like a sore thumb.anyways.....

1.what product(s) do you use for windows? is there like a product that dominates in cleaning windows?
    2. does that certain product work on removing those nasty water spots?
    3. are there any waxes or polishes i can use on windows? or should i just use the regluar waxes that i have already?
    4. what does claying windows do?
    The best comment of my life.......

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    1-Stoner`s Invisible Glass seems to be the big one right now. Sprayway too. For a car, try to avoid ones with ammonia, as they may have adverse effects on tint. (I`ve used Spray & Wipe, it works. So do other QD`s. Some QD`s leave a "water beading effect" like Rain-X. S&W is pretty much just a really good cleaner.)
    Of course, the main thing that`s likely to be mentioned is Microfiber. And yes there is a difference, and you`ll likely be happier with one intended for glass rather than one for buffing paint.
    2-You can get glass polishes, although not as readily as cleaners. These work on mineral spots and such, but you have to be careful, as they can scratch plastics (fairly abrasive). They also work on the film that builds up on the rear windows of farm trucks that have bulk fuel tanks in the box. (No cleaner touched that-even with a bug sponge.)
    3-Polishes can be used. I`ve heard of sealants too. I`ve also heard that you shouldn`t use carnauba on glass. Personally, I`ve not used either. I tend to stay with products that are intended for whatever purpose I need, unless someone else has experimented first, then I might try it. I guess I just don`t want to have to figure out how to fix the experiments` results.
    4-Claying does the same for glass as paint. It pulls out bonded contaminents, leaving it smooth and possibly more clear.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm, ive heard of that stoner`s a lot. maybe ill give it a try. im trying to find something that really, really works for me. i want crystal clear windows. also, i was wondering, can you use stoner`s inside of the car too?

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah stoners is an aerosol product you can use inside and out - I remember when I was a kid there was a product called Glass Wax that was awesome!! used to give amazingly clear windows!!

I use Poorboy`s Spray and Wipe !! it`s amazing too!
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure you can!

Another thing I did with the insides was use a pro squeegee (no sponge on it). They fit between the dash and glass well, and the only real drawback I had was with the cleaner dripping off the windsheild onto the dash. Even that`s not too much of a problem. But as I have said before, most people will say use MF. It works.

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm, i have spray and wipe too, but i keep constantly missing places. maybe next time ill just drench the windshield. however, when doing the inside of the car i constant get problems of overspray

Post Thanks / Like
    I use stoner`s and it works great inside the car and out.
    In response to big leegr though, I think stoner`s contains ammonia - judging from the distinct smell from when I spray it on the glass. Smells just like windex original, which, on their website FAQ, says:

What ingredients are in Windex® Glass and Multi-Surface Cleaners?

Windex® Glass and Multi-Surface Cleaners contain detergents, solvents, fragrance, Ammonia-D®, and alcohol. They should not be used if ammonia is not recommended for use on surface. (Windex® Multi-Surface Cleaner with Vinegar, Windex® Outdoor Window & Surface Cleaner, and Windex® Multi-Surface Sparkling Orangeâ„¢ Cleaner do not contain ammonia or dyes. They are safe to use in these cases.)

http://www.windexglasscleaner.com/faqs.asp#1

Might be wrong though - any thoughts? =)

PS

It does also say that Windex is not recommended on paint, and that the windex with vinegar is recommended for autos over the original windex. (hmm there`s a thought, the vinegar might get rid of hard water spots too!)
    2004 Black Sapphire BMW X3 3.0
    =D
    http://bb.1asphost.com/joshw81/x3/

Post Thanks / Like
    You can still find glass wax around (in the States). One brand is by Gold Seal. It comes in a pink can and is often found in hardware stores in their household cleaning sections. One plus with the wax is that you can see where you worked and where you haven`t (it hazes) before buffing it off.

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm, windex. maybe i could try it, but i would prefer to try stoners. does premium auto care have stoners? im too lazy to check, and i have some chemistry homework to do

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeesh!!! I`m not trying to be a post whore!!! I just don`t see the replies before I answer previous ones. Honest!

As to the Invisible Glass, as read from the can:

Safe for use on most OEM and aftermarket tinted windows. Always check for compatibility before using on non-glass surfaces. Not recomended for use on polycarbonate plastic.

Contains:water, hydrocarbon blend, and hydrocarbon propellant

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Zesty with Spray and Wipe on the inside glass - spray it on a folded MF cloth - that way you can avoid over spay - then wipe off with a clean dry MF...comes out great!
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm, that sounds like a great idea. ill test that out come this weekend

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the members either on here or on Autopia had a good tip for cleaning glass. Clean inside with microfiber going side-to-side, then clean outside going up-and-down. This way you wont have to play the guessing game just in case there is some smearing that you missed.
    AUTOGLYM

Post Thanks / Like
    ah, a german. thanks for the advice. that sounds like a good idea

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve not read the other recommendations but I use Stoners Invisible Glass with a mf towel and I get fantastic results that I`ve never had before. I spray the IG on the towel and wipe. BUT......that doesn`t mean that I`ll not miss a spot! But that`s on me...my technique..not on the process. This process...IG on MF is the best I`ve found.

I use S&W daily on the outside windows and it also works great.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information