Post Thanks / Like

Floormat help...

My floormats are getting a "spot" where they are looking slightly worn where my heel rests (and swivels to go from brake to gas etc...). Other that that, they are perfectly clean and nice looking. I have had floormats before that have had a plastic type of heel pad that stopped that area from getting worn and flattened and was wondering if there is:
    1) any way to revive that area; does shampooing help that?
    Which shampoo should I use?
    2) is there anything to buy or make that will protect that area
    and not look bad?
    3) Any way to attach/rig a plastic type of protector?!@#?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing can stop that. That is exactly why you have floor mats. Now you just need to replace the mat instead of the whole carpet. They are meant to be disposable and not last forever. If you keep it brushed and clean it often then you can stop it from getting all matted and nasty looking, but after awhile there will be a hole there. You can`t stop the normal wear and tear on that part of the carpet. The carpet is the protector. You don`t need a protector for the protector. Then what do you do when the plastic shield wears out? Get a protector for the protector of the protector? lol Just get a new mat if it has worn out. That`s why you have them. If you keep them brushed and clean then you can usually get a good 5-7 years out of OEM mats.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Just to add a little to Jingr`s suggestion.
    Don`t buy parts store or discount store mats.
    Buy the ones made for your vehicle from your dealer.
    OEM mats:
    1. Don`t cost a lot more than most of the parts store or discount store mats.
    2. They fit.
    3. The colors match.
    4. They are usually better quality than most aftermarket mats.

You can also get some pretty high quality aftermarket mats, but be prepared to pay a pretty good price for them.

Also, buy the new mats before the old ones are in too bad of shape.
    Use the new ones in summer and keep the old ones for winter use.

Charles

--
    Post Thanks / Like
    You could also get rubber floor mats. Thats what I have. I use thin ones, but if I lived where it snowed, id get thicker ones (ones that can hold more liquid inside of it). The main reason why I like having rubber floormats is that they are a lot easier to clean than the carpet floormats. I suppose that these are "protectors of the protector" lol. All ones opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.weathertech.com/

Here is a link for high quality rubber mats for about all cars. I have them in my new Murano and love them. They catch all the dirt and save the rugs big time
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Wherever there is a mullet... I'll be there.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like you said, get a set with the rubber part where your heel goes. You can get mats like that at Target. I don`t know if you can get OEM ones like that or not.

I don`t think covering your mats with other mats is necessarily a good idea. I can see using those rubber bucket mats if you were going to be tracking in mad amounts of dirt or snow or something.... I can`t see having them in a car that is usually pretty clean anyway. Just replace them and keep them brushed. That will prolong their life, but their life will still come to an end someday.

2002 Chevrolet Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use the stair attachment from my mom`s carpet shampooer to really deep clean my floormats. In between that though I use a smaller hand held shampooer that I got last Christmas, but no matter how much you clean floormats you will eventually need to replace them.

Thread Information