Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 12-05-2007

Default Severe Oxidization

My 95 Geo Prizm has ridiculous oxidization on the hood, top and trunk. I've noticed it in a lot of other red prizms from that year. Does anyone have any advice about a product or combo of products that can make a dent it?
Old 12-05-2007

Default Re: Severe Oxidization

Try some Mothers Pre Wax Cleaner and...

Lots of terry cloth or MF applicators.
Lots of good MF towels.
Lots of elbow grease.

If it is Single Stage paint, you'll see it in the applicators and towels. You'll have to change them more frequently.

P.S. If, and when you get the oxidation removed... keep it protected with a good wax.
Old 12-05-2007
Mothers® Polish

I would guess it's a single stage paint. As Detail Guy suggested, notice if your applicator turns red color during product use.

If the oxidation is severe, Pre-Wax Cleaner will not be enough to remove it completely. Try PowerPolish with a random orbital buffer to do a better job.

Follow up with a good paint care product - I'd suggest our Carnauba Cleaner Wax in paste or liquid.

BTW, the paint may be too far gone to restore. Pix would help.
Old 12-05-2007

You could be right about that, it's pretty bad. I'll get a picture to post (for entertainment value if nothing else).
Old 12-06-2007

Default Re: Oxidization

jmcgrane,

If you could describe the situation more or post a couple of pictures, we'd be able to help you out better.

Grabby

I wish I could just detail everyday.

Old 12-06-2007

Here is a picture that shows the worst of it. The other side of the car has some oxidation but nothing like the hood.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2007

I've seen worse, but that is pretty bad.

As Forrest said, you may need to use a polish like Power Polish if you have a buffer. As Forrest also said, you might not get it all out no matter what you use.

Good luck.
Old 12-06-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgrane View Post
Here is a picture that shows the worst of it. The other side of the car has some oxidation but nothing like the hood.
It almost looks like someone tried to use compound on the hood and let it dry since there circular marks on the hood but it could be an optical illusion.
Old 12-06-2007
Mothers® Polish

It's 12 year old single stage paint that's been neglected for some time.

I'd try the PowerPolish and a random orbital buffer. But, even that may not remove all the oxidation.
Old 12-06-2007

jmcgrane
I was wondering if I might ask a big favour here.
I was recently at a training night here in Australia where, after the Mothers 'rep' gave the product run down talk, he then demonstrated some of the products on a 1991/2 Red Toyota Camry, almost the same red as your one, and seriously, not quite as bad.
Now I have some idea of the work that Mothers products can do, but this demonstration just made my jaw drop.
The great pity of the whole night was that, through my own stupidity, I had the wrong setting on my camera and the bulk of the photographs I did take were all but unusable in any way. I actually tried to recover some of them, but not very successfully.
I've included 2 really average photographs here to try and indicate just what really happened.
These photographs do not adequately show what the work actually accomplished, but it does give some idea when taken in context with this text here.
See the first photograph, the one of the hood, this sort of shows how bad the oxidisation was. You can see the streaks and the dullness of the paint.
The second photograph shows the trunk lid. Now here is where the guys showed the difference. Before the night actually started, some of the guys who work in the Runaway Bay AutObarn who hosted the night worked on HALF the trunk lid.
All they used was Mothers Pre Wax Cleaner, a round yellow foam applicator and a microfibre polishing cloth, not a good one like the Mothers ones, but an average MF.
They worked on this section only, and applied and worked the Pre Wax Cleaner to this half trunk area three times, really working it in.
They applied nothing over the top at all and just left this as it was. I took photographs, regrettably unusable of this half section work, to compare the worked area to the original state, and that is what made my jaw drop.
Just looking at the unworked section, I would have (quite confidently too) said that nothing could be done to bring that back at all, and not actually having seen the work, I was still partly skeptical that this was all that had been done.
Then Gary, the Mothers rep worked on the other half section, also only using the Pre Wax Cleaner. Admitted, he used the Mothers Wax Attack, and only made a couple of passes but after wiping off with the MF, the result was (literally) unbelievable.
The second photograph is the best one I have of the area after work at both times. It's a marginal photograph I know, and doesn't show much.
If I had not have seen it, I wouldn't have believed it. Looking closely, I could see that it was not as good as the section previously worked, but the idea that another two applications would bring it up to that level was realistically able to be believed.
Now, my perception here is that this oxidisation has not been totally and utterly removed. True, a layer of the oxidised paint has been removed and the underlying colour has come back to its former colour, but the impression that I would like to stress here is that once really badly oxidised as this, (and yours) is, then it will become a matter of continuing maintenance to keep it that way, as the dullness will return.
However, with work, the Pre Wax Cleaner can recover the paint to a degree, and that then protected by the Sealer and Glaze and then the Carnauba, the job might be a little easier.

Now, here's the task I'd like you to do for me, (and you, and the guys on the forum.)
I'd like you to get the Pre Wax Cleaner, an applicator, a microfibre polishing cloth and your camera.
Pick a section of the hood, say half of the drivers side closest to the windscreen and work on it with three or four applications, just that area, a couple of feet by a couple of feet. Take a photograph of the area before you start.
Once finished, take a couple of photographs and post them.
The results will not only astound you as you watch it happen, but the other guys here who come in to ask what can be done.
Then, just continue with the work.

This is no magic bullet, because work on your part will be required, but just wait when people who see you in that red car see the work you've done. The looks on their faces will be enough.

Again, I hope you don't mind my asking you to do this, as I'm sure the guys would like to see what can be done.

Oh! Just one tip. Take the photographs during the day, and in some good light, not like I did, at night and then flunked out when that was all I really wanted to show from the night as the most astounding thing.

Tony.

Attached Images

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Closed Thread