Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 03-17-2010

Default garage dust built up.

I have a 2001 camaro SS (show car) that gets driven once or twice a month.I dont have a car cover at the moment. I live in a condo and have maintenance/gardener guys who usually come by at random times and blow dust into my garage. it really ****es me off because I'm left with a dusty car. the car is usually clean,just dusty.Now my Q's is are dusters safe on paint? i heard that alot of them can scratch up the paint. So i always end up just rewashing the whole car.kinda sucks because the car is usually clean like i said and I really want to avoid washing the car since i have alot of chrome/polished pieces underneath the hood.thanks!

Luis
Old 03-17-2010
Administrator

Default Re: garage dust built up.

Welcome to Wax Forum!

We might suggest you first seal the garage -- hardware stores and building centers have plastic moldings with rubber-edged trim that can seal the door from the outside on all three edges, and for the bottom you can get door-edge or threshold seals, depending on the style of door you have.

As for dusters, we recently have begun to use the wand-style wool dusters, which are commonly used in the household. Some online detail supplies also sell them. The very fine wool hairs can be misted with a little Showtime to gently grab and lift away dust --- and you can rotate the want as you sweep across the surface.

Once the loose dust is gone, you can also go over it with a plush towel and Showtime if you like.

A good friend, the owner of the Impression, uses these quality wool wants, and if you figure it's good enough for his Chip Foose-built masterpiece, it must be a good way to go.

You can quickly wash the wand under running water and comb it out to dry -- very handy!
Old 03-17-2010

cool. so always keep the duster mist before using it. some one had told me to just wrap a terry towel around the duster,but wouldn't that scratch the paint if the towel is dry?thanks alot.

p.s i did buy the weather seals,but apparently they didn't cover the gaps fully.

2001 Camamro SS-#1789
Sunset orange metallic
SoCalMuscle - Muscle Car Enthusiasts of San Diego[/url]
Old 03-18-2010
Registered User II

I would not use a terry towel. If your car is black like mine, you just might see little swirls/scratches caused by the towel. (maybe I had cheap towels) I use a duster, not Mothers, but dusters are safe. As mentioned, mine is not Mothers but if you buy the "other" one, make sure you follow the directions about letting the paraffin wax dry out or you will end up with streaks on your finish.
Old 03-18-2010
Mothers® Polish

The most important part of using a Duster is holding it above the paint surface so the strands barely make contact with the paint surface.

Bearing down, with pressure, is a guaranteed way to induce marring to the surface.
Old 03-18-2010

the problem i have with my duster is that it leaves streak marks as if it were to be wet.

2001 Camamro SS-#1789
Sunset orange metallic
Old 03-18-2010
Mothers® Polish

About the streak marks - did you leave it on newspaper for a few days to remove the shipping oils?

Do you use any pressure with it? Try elevating it above the paint surface so the ends of the strands just barely touch.
Old 03-18-2010
Administrator

Keep in mind that waxed dusters can't be used on a hot surface -- this is where a pure wool duster comes in handy.
Old 03-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest T. View Post
About the streak marks - did you leave it on newspaper for a few days to remove the shipping oils?

Do you use any pressure with it? Try elevating it above the paint surface so the ends of the strands just barely touch.
no. leave it on newspapper for a few days? I've never hered of that method.thanks again for all the replies.

2001 Camamro SS-#1789
Sunset orange metallic
Closed Thread