Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Tire & Wheel Care

Tire & Wheel Care Whether you have hubcaps, clearcoated factory alloy, or custom wheels worth thousands, you'll want them to look their best. Metal polishing is also discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 01-18-2013

Default How to strip Back-to-Black tire dressing from tires?

How do I completely strip my Michelin tires of previous dressings? I used Blechy Wite and Mothers Wheel and Tire Cleaner but I can still see running/drip marks from previous application of Back-to-Black tire dressing. I have used FX before and it came off very easily. I like B2B's finish so it's what I prefer now, but applying it again today didn't hide the running/drip marks therefore my tires kind of have a mottled look. Please advise.

Also, one of my brand new bottles of B2B tire shine refused to spray. Yes, I made sure it was "on" and played with the spray pattern selector to no avail. Luckily I had another bottle on hand.
Old 01-19-2013

Default Re: How to strip Back-to-Black tire dressing from tires?

I am surprised that a tire dressing can stain a tire in a way something like Mothers Wheel and Tire Cleaner could not remove I wonder if it was there but unnoticed before you applied the B2B tire dressing.

What kind of brush did you use?

I would suggest trying using a terry cloth or microfiber towel (something dense nap) to scrub it well with Mothers tire cleaner. I also recommend wearing gloves.

Last edited by abnot; 01-19-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-19-2013
Administrator

If you have running and drip marks as you say, you probably applied it too heavily; but frankly, I've never seen this before so it could be a unique occurrence.

Post a photo if you can; or email one to us.

We'll talk offline and get you the fresh bottle with a new sprayer.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 07-18-2013

I've been just reapplying B2B whenever I wash my truck. Usually it's time to reapply the dressing by then. I normally use Mothers Tire/Rubber Cleaner prior but sometimes I just spray B2B after the tires have completely. I drive the truck a little to sling out whatever water is left (especially between the cosmetic ribs on the wall of these Michellin LTX MS2's). After spraying B2B I let it sit several minutes and then wipe the tires down to even the dressing out. Looks great. I do have to follow up with the wiping after a couple of days since some of the product that's built up in the ribs along the tire wall do sling.
Closed Thread