Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 08-11-2014
Registered User II

Default Mother's vs. Meguiars. How did you decide?

Why did you decide on Mother's as your choice?
How did it beat Meguiars for you?
Price? Quality?

Or do you use a combo?
Old 08-11-2014

Default Re: Mother's vs. Meguiars. How did you decide?

That is like asking do you like Coke or Pepsi - it is a loaded question. Both make good products. Personally, my time is limited, and Mother's products tend to be very user friendly, which saves me time. Plus, I have rarely used a Mother's product that didn't either meet or exceed my expectations.

Last edited by Bama; 08-12-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-11-2014

That's a good question. When I got my first new truck I happened to start out with Meg's NXT wax. I think what converted me to Mothers was the Claybar kit and subsequently the 3-step UWS products. From there I was enticed by how Mothers packaged their various products which, to me, simplified what I was looking for (brand and application). Without a doubt though, this forum educated me about other Mothers products. I think I've used every non-pro product so far. Great results. One of the coolest things about Mothers is, as Bama hinted above, is that Mothers has products to suit your needs. In my case lately, I have the choice of single or two-step products because I just don't have the free time I used to. Previously, I would spend a whole week of my vacation to do full clay-bar, UWS and interior detail. Now, my free time is limited to when my children are asleep, in which case, I have many single-step or two-step combinations to choose from.
Old 08-12-2014

I've used both, I have both. Both came at different times and different product types. Forums and reviews helped a lot, some products I found mothers being far easier to use (like the consumer level pure polish and micro polishing glaze), FX Synwax (liquid and paste, nothing is easier to use), CG Synthetic, reflections top coat, VLR and Reflections leather care, but the spray waxes aren't as effortless to use (but to me, better suited as a wax as you dry).

Meguiars, some of the aggressive paint cleaners, glazes, or combination of the 2 isn't as easy to use, but is quite potent. The spray wax (yes, ultimate spray wax) not only smell good, but leaves a really deep shine and is quite durable and easier to use in my opinion. Some of the liquid waxes have good depth, but can be difficult to use in that it occasionally smears, something mothers synthetic waxes rarely does.

Both brands have strengths and weaknesses.
Old 08-13-2014

Both products are very good . I dont think it makes that much difference. I myself like Mothers better.
Old 08-13-2014

I have and use both til this day. It depends on the mood I'm in. I usually alternate between what I use.
Old 08-14-2014

Yes, why choose when you can get both? Kidding aside, I do use both and will continue to do so even if I do get other brands. Can't go wrong with Mothers or Meguiars...
Old 08-14-2014
Registered User II

Years ago, I started out using Mother's three step..lots of hard work by hand, time consuming, but good results. Then I got lazy and found Meguiar's ColorX, a one step product, and it did just as good a job on my silver vehicles. Then I bought a new black car, and began learning about detailing....proper washing, two buckets, claying, polish, and wax, and went back to Mother's. Still a lot of hard work, so I tried Color-X as my polish again (very easy to work with) and top coated with Meguiar's M16 wax. Looked terrific on a black car and seemed to last forever. Then they stopped making M16. So now besides my regular polishing with Mequiars ColorX (until they stop making IT), I use their Ultimate Paste Wax as a top coat. Longevity is not as good as M16, it is easy to buff off, and it sure makes black "pop". Mother's makes good stuff, but unless I am convinced Mother's makes something as good as M16, I am afraid I will stick with Meguiar's. Actually I think all the wax companies make inferior products now due to VOC laws. Today's waxes are not as durable and smell silly (Meguiar's stuff smells like vanilla ). They are easier to buff off, but to me, that means they do not last as long. M16 was a large B to buff off, but it seemed to bead endlessly. Auto wax should not smell like vanilla. I do miss the smell of petroleum in the morning.
Old 08-14-2014

Paradox, have you tried Mothers Step 3 Carnauba paste?
Old 08-14-2014

FYI ultimate paste wax is a synthetic wax. I would compare it to Mothers California Gold Synthetic Paste Wax. M16 being carnauba based I would compare it to Mothers carnauba. Mothers Carnauba in my opinion is on par with Meguiar's M26 with M26 having a slight advantage in looks for me. Can't go wrong with either one.
Old 08-15-2014

Back in 2005, I had an, umm, 'original' problem I needed help with, and a visit to my local AutObarn here in Australia resulted in the store owner recommending me to a certain Mothers product, and he also directed me here to the Mothers Forum, where I asked the questions and received excellent help. I then made an initial purchase of a range of Mothers products, and I've been using them exclusively since then.

I have never felt the need to use any other product, because everything I have need for are products Mothers has.

If it 'aint broke, then don't fix it is an adage I find apt here.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 08-15-2014
Registered User II

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnot View Post
Paradox, have you tried Mothers Step 3 Carnauba paste?
I believe I have. I used to use the 3 step process, and was pleased with it. Perhaps it has gotten even better since I last tired it. I might try the Step 3 paste though. Hopefully when I finish waxing, my wife wont think I have been out with a woman. That vanilla smell in Meguiar's is really over powering.
Old 08-24-2014

Talking Re: Mother's vs. Meguiars. How did you decide?

The second summer I owed my 2009 Ram 1500 I was living out in Colorado. I took a ride to the mountains to check out some of the states terrible fishing! I didn't think of it much at the time but I was driving behind a truck that was putting a layer of oil and sand on the road. Never seen that before back east! So the next day I go to wash her and the oil and sand created a grit like 80 grit sand paper on all the under body! Still didn't think much of it until I got out of the car wash, went home tried washing by hand, it didn't put a dent in it! I was pretty ****ed that the county would do that to their roads ruining all the vehicles. So I went to Meguiras and no help or suggestions, turtle wax no help or suggestions! So I called Mothers ans actually talked to a humane being! He suggest the clay bar system and said it will take some work but will not hurt the paint! And recommended the cleaner wax after it was gone. So the next Saturday it took over 8 hours just on one side and had to buy another clay bar to complete the other side on Sunday, another 8 + hours! It did the job and I never looked back at Meguiars again. Mothers rocks as far as helping out and suggesting what to do! I thank Jim who was the guy I talked to at Mothers back then and kept in contact with him since!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	1294
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	1899   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0041.jpg
Views:	1413
Size:	569.6 KB
ID:	1900  
Old 08-24-2014

Mothers and Meguiars both make great products. For me, Mothers offers ease of use (especially their waxes and paint cleaners). One can't go wrong with either, in my experience, both companies gives great help on how to keep one's cars looking its best.
Old 08-24-2014

In my experience, no one can go wrong with either. Both are proven products, both have their strengths and weaknesses. I however, found that mothers is very user friendly. Case in point? The FX synwax (especially the liquid, I believe nothing on earth is easier to use), CG synthetic (almost as easy as FX liquid), Reflections Top Coat, and CG carnauba cleaner wax. Step 2 micro polishing glaze, definitely the easiest I've used.
Old 08-24-2014

I strayed away from Mothers for a little bit and went with Meguiar's. When Meguiar's came out with their ultimate line that is. The ultimate compound and ultimate polish is what sold me as they offered more correction than the Mothers 3 step using a DA. What brought me back to Mothers was the introduction of Professional Paint Restoration System (
Part# 08612, 12 oz. Professional Rubbing Compound, Part# 08712, 12 oz. Professional Finishing Polish).

Finally something that can compete with ultimate compound and polish.

Both companies offer lots of options and one can't go wrong with either one.
Old 08-24-2014

Yes, Agree with you totally regarding Ultimate Compound. Quite aggressive yet relatively user friendly. Mothers step 1 pure polish to me seems to be considerably milder, which I find just as important since I do some detailing wherein I want something that deep cleans, removes old wax, brightens up paint and prepares the paint for that all important wax.
Closed Thread