Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 04-09-2005

Default where to get micro fiber cloth

i cant find it at canadian tire..does anyone kno where i get some to to use showtime
Old 04-09-2005

Default Re: where to get micro fiber cloth

If you can't find quality microfiber locally I would reccomend ordering some online. I have had good luck ordering microfiber from http://www.dbmicrofiber.com/ Or on the left hand side of this Mothers website you could click Retailers, then Internet and many of those e-tailers sell quality microfiber.
Old 04-09-2005

theres so many? which one is for the car
Old 04-09-2005
Mothers® Polish

The best quality microfbers come from Korea. For drying, use an 80/20 blend.

For buffing wax off, a 70/30 plush is great.
Old 04-09-2005

i need something to use with tha quik detailer
Old 04-09-2005
Mothers® Polish

70/30 plush would be my suggestion.
Old 04-09-2005

wat u mean by 70/30 plush
Old 04-09-2005
Mothers® Polish

The blend is 70/30 of the 2 components, and you want a thick, plush towel instead of a thin one.
Old 04-09-2005

03Coupe,

The blend of fibers you're looking for is Polyester and Polyamide... in this case, 70% Polyester and 30% Polyamide as Forrest recommends.

They're nice and soft, like a baby's bottom... and they'll treat your car's finish with care.

Just stay away from thin, cheaply-made blends of other fibers (often Nylon)... they often either don't last, or they're not ideal for this particular purpose... or both.
Old 04-09-2005

thanks..is that stuff just called micro fiber cloth>
Old 04-10-2005

Canadian Tire does carry Micro fiber (spelled Micro Fibre in Canada). They sell green ones for windows, yellow ones (no nap) for "polishing," a big blue one for drying, and 5 packs of blue and white ones for general purpose. The 5 pack are made in China and are 70/30 blend. They are ok, but not of the highest quality. They also tend to leave lint for the first few times. You may want to wash them a few times before using them, if you get these.
If you've never used MF before, you may be surprised at how the cloth "grabs" your skin when you're holding it.
As to other retailers on Canada, Wal-Mart has a variety of mf (some in Automotive, some in Cleaning, some in the Bath section), Zeller's has a few (Automotive and cleaning sections), Super store has some (in the cleaning and bath sections), as well as a few others that may not be as national in presence.

Also, make sure you remove the tags before use. They can scratch the paint.
Old 04-10-2005

i jus picked up a mirco fiber cloth from walmart ..i kno it supposed to be 70/30 but its 80polyster/20polyamide is that gonna be ok
Old 04-10-2005

I'm sure it'll be just fine, though aficionados might say otherwise.

At some point you just gotta try one.

As you shop a little more and get an assortment, then you'll hopefully learn the ones best-suited for each task and why, simply by using them.

I like a big waffle-weave for initial drying after a wash, in part because it's bulky and easy to wipe a big area.

I like medium-sized thick plush ones for just about everything else.

I like thin soft ones for the dash and areas that it's hard to get around... and around my computer and whatnot.

I don't remember much the blend of fibers of which towel as I have quite an assortment, but I know I have a bunch of real nice (and expensive) 80/20s, and they really seem to stand up.

Take notes and save tags... or if you're like Forrest, make an Excel spreadsheet that's linked to the Atomic Clock as well as the National Weather Service and you'll really be able to track what's best and how it wears and how many washes they withstand... etc., etc.

Enjoy!
Old 04-10-2005
Mothers® Polish

I gave up on the Excel spreadsheet - I use a relational database now - it's faster.

No one likes a smarty.
Old 04-11-2005

Anybody know where I can get some good 9" micro fiber buffer bonnets? All of the places I checked just had the 6" ones, like for the Porter Cable.

And why does everybody use the Porter Cable sander/polisher? My 9" orbital buffer is pretty easy to use and hold. The button can be locked on, and I just let the weight of the buffer do the work. I just guide it around. Don't really have to hold it tight, like a sander. Just wanted to know if I'm missing something.
Old 04-11-2005

The Porter Cable DA polisher is more versatile than a ROB. The PC has variable speeds and with the hook and loop system (Velcro®) you can change pads, which allows you to go from heavy cutting (major swirling/scratches) all the way to last step product (waxes/sealants) application. I have read of people using Velcro® on their ROB and using DA pads, but then you are still stuck with only one speed. I used to use a ROB and (IMO) I got really good results with it. Made cars look much better than they did before. However, I like using the PC more.
If you like using the ROB and get good results from it, then keep using it! I know people that have just about every new fangled gadget available, yet they don't have the skill/patience to do a job as well as someone else, even if that person may be using only a couple of tools. Another analogy is painting. Some people buy all the different sizes and styles of brushes, paints, canvases, etc. but can't turn out as high quality of work as someone else who may be using only 1 brush and some basic paints. In other words, use what you like.
Old 04-11-2005

Just purchased an eight pack of detailers choice microfiber cloth from Walmart. 70/30 blend.
Closed Thread