Thread: Help me please

Post Thanks / Like

Help me please

I was doing a scratch removal on a black mercedes today, and I wet sanded too much:wait Now Im stuch between a still exsisting scratch and a quarter sized primer spot:wait I covered it with a paint marker and told him the paint had to cure over the weekend. I have four days to find a solution.:wait He has no idea. Please help me!!!:boohoo

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you insured?
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Wherever there is a mullet... I'll be there.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its called "touch up". Sand the area down and then repaint it. Wetsand that again and paint again. Keep doing that till its level and blends in. You can clear coat it or not. I sure hope he doesn`t take you to task on it. You might want to check around at local paint shops and get estimates and offer to pay to have it done right. They will probably just airbrush it or something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I agree... we need to properly put new paint in this section.
    Too much has been taken away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, I dont have insurance as of now, but I will after this stunt. I will try to touch it up myself, and if worest comes to worst, Ill pay a body shop to fix my mistake

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with "da fuzz", but you should let the owner know your mistake. If he finds it on his own, it could get ugly. Fix it and tell him the truth.

I think just about every detailer, body shop etc. is going to make a mistake at some point, but it`s how we fix it. I`d rather deal with an honest business that owns up to it`s errors and makes it right than to deal with someone shady.

JMHO....
    Ringo

Post Thanks / Like

Mistakes...

Phil... Recently I was working on the interior of a 2002 Mercedes S500 and I could not get a piece of the center console open for cleaning. I was trying as gently as humanly possible to open the piece without it breaking and what do you think happened !!!! Murphy`s Law !!! It broke :bigscream :bigscream

I completed the interior and requested that the owner see the damage I caused. I offered to have the piece replaced at my expense and he informed me that the piece was stuck for some time and that he would have it fixed and told me not to worry about it.:kneel

Hopefully your situation has a similar ending. I can understand your concern I am sure that the piece of trim that was damaged was at least a couple of hundred bucks to replace. Good Luck and let us know how it turned out.
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the same thing on my Jeep I stopped telling people that I could remove scratches at the time.
    After trying the fill wet sand fill wet sand I decided to go to a body shop. FUZZ is right the guy kept the car for a day and air brushed the area and its gone. You can still see it some what but you have to know its there. Cost was well under a 100 and worth every penny to me
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice guys. Im realising more and more how valuable DC really is to me.

I am still confused about what I should do. I went to Pep boys today and got a bottle fo touch up paint (it matched the year and mercedes model paint type) . Im really tempted to give it a try.
    The way I see it right now, how much worse could it get?

Wherever there is a mullet... I'll be there.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aaaack!! Don`t do it!! You need to use Mercedes touch up paint. Go to the dealer and get a bottle that matches the color exactly. That DupliColor stuff is not an exact match. You need to do this right. If it was a 10 year old Civic or something then you wouldn`t have to worry so much. This was a much more expensive car and the owner is going to expect it to be perfect because they are sacrificing more to own it. Maybe not more in the overall relative scheme of things, but he certianly will notice if you touch it up with a paint color that doesn`t match 100%. Take this one to a pro, dude. Trust me. Touch up is not something you want to learn how to do on a client`s Mercedes.

Thread Information