Post Thanks / Like

fused on specs of pollen or dirt...

Hi,
    Have dk green Dakota. There are thousands of small light colored specs on the paint and tinted windows. I can feel them under my fingers when rubbing it over the paint/glass. They scrape of with a little effort with my finger nail

I removed most of them off the tinted glass using a razor blade.

What do I do for the rest of the truck?

Washing didn`t do anything. Will a PC and some product work. (Please say yes, I need more of excuse to get one)

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a job for a clay bar. It should pick off all those little things and any other impurities as well. As for the PC- you don`t need an excuse. Once you try machine detailing, I doubt you`ll ever want to polish by hand again. You can probably take those specs off with a PC and some Meguires cleaner/polish, but I think clay is preferable. I like to use each product for what it was made for and does best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you really think a clay bar will do it. This stuff is on there but GOOD. When I say they scrape off w/ my fingernail, I mean that it takes several seconds to scrape them off.

I guess it is worth a try.
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Had similar spots all over an old explorer. I ended up scraping them all off with my fingernail. I think I tried a clay bar, and it wouldn`t touch it.

Post Thanks / Like
    If your finger nail could remove them better would do a clay bar. Do a side by side comparison with a tar spot and you`ll see.
    Portuguese details detalhe.net

Post Thanks / Like
    What about bug and tar remover or 3M adhesive remover? One of those should work. It sounds like the bigger problem is how you`re going to prevent it from happening again after you get those specs out. Sounds to me like you`re going to have to get that paint super-slick to minimize recontamination. There`s your excuse for a PC!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking more about this and I think you may be able to get the stuff off with Goo-Gone, which is an oranged-based adhesive remover. It is quite mild and the cool thing is, it won`t evaporate quickly so you can wipe some on and let it sit and work for a while before wiping it off. I would wash the vehicle first to minimize the scratching when wiping the GG on and then wash again after. I guess it will strip any wax on the car, so be prepared to wax also.

Thread Information