Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up NXT Tech Wax impression

Wow....I`m very impressed what Meguiar has done for their polymer based products to compete with the other brands.
    With Mike Phillips` introduction, I was lucky enough to try out some of Meguiar`s new products which I did not have much faith in after seeing how some other polymer based products, Zaino and Blackfire, performed.
    After washing our Ti Grey S60R, I gave it a routine UPP paint cleaner before I put anything else on the paint. Granted, the paint is still nice and clean, I didn`t think it needed any polishing. I first tried Meguiar`s COLORx, not knowing much about this product, I decided to use it prior to Tech Wax based on the description of it. The very first thing I noticed was the nice scent of it. Like I said, not knowing much about the products, I was not sure what to look for in the result. The metallic flakes and depth shines through in a very translucent fashion, which was a good thing.
    Then I started applying Tech Wax with the foam applicator it came with. Wow...it has by far the best scent, to me at least, of all the other polymer based sealant I`ve tried. The texture of it was pretty similar to Zaino, thicker than the latest version of UPP. Again, I did not research much on the products before I tried it on the car, so I just waited same half hour that I would with UPP before I buffed it off.
    The result was pretty interesting...it almost gives the very similar carnauba look from UPP, but it still has more the typical polymer acrylic look, which is not exactly a bad thing if you top it off with some carnauba wax on it later. I`d say this product can definitely blow Zaino away if it has the same durability. Plus, at close inspection, it seems to give out a "thicker" acrylic look than Zaino. Overall I`m very pleased with the result.
    I`m not sure if this means I`d ditch UPP and switch over to NXT Tech Wax, but I know I might be using couple layers of NXT next time before I put on UPP.

Oh another good thing, it doesn`t smear at all. Very easy to work with even though I used their foam pad instead of DAPC with finishing pad.

Thank you Mike. :cool

Post Thanks / Like
    NXT is not layerable because it contains cleaner, right?

Post Thanks / Like

D`oh...no wonder it went on and came off without any streak. Well, guess there`ll be only one layer of NXT before UPP. Actually that`ll make the life a lot easier then.
    I still wonder how they achieve that thick acrylic look.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought it only contained fillers and not any cleaners?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CobraKyle
    I thought it only contained fillers and not any cleaners?
    I actually thought the same thing?

Boss_429
    The cleaning ability of the NXT is very minimal.................... but it is there. I believe Meguiar`s intent was to have some light cleaning/polishing performance in the NXT to help remove light scratches, and increase the adhesion of the product.

Not really a bad thing if you think about it................ a light cleaning or polishing is good every once in a while. Eventually, after a few washings/QD`ing the paint is going to pick up some dirt and contaminates that the washing/QD`ing won`t remove. A wax with a bit of cleaning ability will help get the paint clean again.

That`s probably one of the reasons that I like Poorboy`s EX, and PWC.............. they both clean and protect nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Kai

D`oh...no wonder it went on and came off without any streak. Well, guess there`ll be only one layer of NXT before UPP. Actually that`ll make the life a lot easier then.
    I still wonder how they achieve that thick acrylic look.
    I think that many times when we "layer" we are actually just providing a more complete coverage of the product we are using.
    However, 2 coats of NXT or UPP always look better than one and with UPP, 3 coats looks better yet.
    Go ahead and add one more and see what you think.

Post Thanks / Like
    You know the craziest thing...

I was just trying to find out if one layer of UPP would look better over NXT, and I was very disappointed. By putting another layer of UPP over it, it now has more of an UPP look to it than NXT`s acrylic look.

I know it may sound crazy, why would I prefer typical polymer acrylic look over "almost-carnauba" look UPP? For some reason I actually found how NXT gives a darker and more 3D look to the finish from its thick acrylic look which seems to work better than my all time favorite UPP on our Ti Grey volvo.

Now, I`m not sure if NXT can top UPP`s durability, but I sure start to like NXT look better.

We tried this on my cousin`s 04 silver A4 Avant, and the shine would just jump on you like nothing else we have tried. This car; however, already has 3 layers of UPP before wash, so.....

It`s really a tough call....

UPP goes on so easy and comes off easy, too. Last much longer time than other polymer based products I`ve tried, including Zaino.

NXT gives the car this new look that I`ve never seen before with just ONE application! And I LOVE how the Tech Wax smells!!

I just like to be rebel and tell others, "I use 4 Star UPP, better look than Zaino, and you don`t belong to the secret society to know about it." :rockin
    Maybe I`ll just secretly use NXT in the meantime and tell people it`s turtle wax.

its naturally curly...... 6cyl's_of_fury's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mate, if the NXT floats ya boat then go with it! Its your car so as long as you are happy with it, then who cares what others think? I liked it on my black car and my mates gunmetal grey, but wasnt all that fussed on a red and a white car while others I have seen love it on red...go figure?

But, I have to ask
    Detail your car, do it. No seriously, do it.

The Black Beast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve tried NxT but I find it does not do so well on my Metallic Grey - almost seemed to mute the flakes - NxT has some Mild cleaning ability as da boss stated so if you did plan to layer I would do an inital application with the PC then by hand for additional layers. NxT definatley darkened my finish and I think that is what interfeared with my metallics..I think for dark solid color cars it`s great.
    You have activated my special ability....

Polisher of Shiny Things
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you liked it.

I also really like the NXT Tech Wax.

Just took 2nd place out of 75 entries at a car show over the 4th, and honestly, the shine on my SVT Cougar was far times better than most other cars there.

I ran it like this:

Wash - Meg`s Deep Crystal
    Clay - 4 Star Clay & Lubricant
    Wash - Meg`s Deep Crystal
    Cleaner - UPC
    Meg`s NXT - set 10 minutes, then buffed off.
    UPP x 1 - set 20 minutes then buffed off
    UPP Ultimate Gloss Enhancer

Only had time to get 1 layer of UPP on before the show, but likely I will add another coat or two here shortly.

The NXT seemed to work better by removing it just after it hazed over, oddly enough; and the UPP locked in the "enhancements" that the NXT brought out of the paint.

Can you see where I`m heading with this?

The NXT got the paint to "pop" more than the UPP could alone, and the UPP over NXT added a silky smooth and highly reflective topper. So I had the best of both worlds!

This was on a Dark Metallic Blue/Purple Paint if that says anything.

I surely think that the NXT has a permanent home in my detailing arsenol. Very happy with it thus far.

The Spray wax and Protectant however, I could do without.

83 SVT Cougar
    95 Tbird
    89 Saleen Mustang

Obsessed?

- Yeah, ain`t it cool!

Post Thanks / Like
    try the protectant on your tires - about the only place I will use it but it gives and awesome shine there! If they could just change the smell - ugh
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright, I finally got to take some pictures of the new NXT result combine with UPP and some TS and Paste Wax.

The result is very stunning, but I just don`t know how to take good pictures. I don`t know if you would even be able to tell the difference from the crappy pictures I`ve taken. The first one was done with just few layers of UPP only, nothing else.

Here`s one showing the acrylic shine

Last two trying to show the metallic flakes

I think fotki just resize it a bit too small, the pictures came out fine from the hard drive. Maybe I need to find a new image hosting site that doesn`t resize that much.

The rest of the album is here: http://public.fotki.com/Huangfamily/detailed/
    Password: NXT
    Enjoy~!
    Last edited by Kai; 07-07-2004 at 12:23 AM.

What combo to use next? jeff2417's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Uh...can`t see much in the pics here or on that site. Seems to be in the dark...

jeff.
    Sure, it`s shiny, but how smooth is it, and how does it look in direct sunlight?

Thread Information