Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like

Engine Detailing

Well I decided to go out and detail the engine of the 1995 Explorer EXT we own. Since it was a nice 60*, and the sun was perfect. Awhile back Natty was nice enough to send me a 1/2 gallon on Meguiars EK, and I gave it a shot today. After spraying in on with a sprayer that managed to actually mist that stuff, I hate Meguiars EK. It doesnt dry right, it leaves spots, and I ended up having to recover. So I wiped down most of the big areas to smear and dry the EK, and proceeded to touch up the bay with Stoner`s TS. Here are the results.

Before:

After:

http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Engine looks outstanding

Can you explain more on Meguairs Engine Kote I was thinking about getting a gallon until I seen your post

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work. How long would you say you spent on this?
    The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    New Again: Engine Kote is just too danged finicky. First off, the sprayer has to be absolutely perfect. Supposedly the only sprayer that even begins to work right is the one Meguiars sells, I have an equivalent sprayer and it still managed to glob and drip (which it never normally does). Engine Kote takes an extremely long time to dry and set, and when it finally does, its not a perfect spread. The idea of Engine Kote is to spray-it-and-forget-it, in all actuality, you spend a lot of time dabbing up pools of EK and trying to spread it all over the engine bay. While you are spreading it, the EK starts to get very sticky on the towel and your hands (not to mention the ungodly smell, liquid fertilzer smells better) and eventually it becomes unworkable.

Now, here is what I did. After doing that detail, I figured I would give Poorboy`s Bold and Bright a run for its money. I detailed the engine bay of a 1997 Saturn SL2 (sorry, no before pictures) it had oil all over EVERYTHING, and the power steering cap had blown off once before and sprayed that everywhere also. So imagine an engine bay covered in oil and PS fluid, and you are pretty much on the dot. The picture you see here is almost 95% all from the Poorboy`s BnB, Stoner`s Trim Shine was only used on some hoses (that you cannot see in the picture) that I was unable to reach with my hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job here is mine after i did it last fall. It has 44000 miles on it currently. Sorry the picture didnt come out so great. How do i make it smaller? I used Zaino Z-16 on all the hoses, plastic pieces. I have tried many products and this worked the best yet. Repels dust ( I work in a dusty environment and it does keep dust off) and doesnt run when it gets wet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Tassadar you did a great job

Heres another pic of mine
    Ryan

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im a big fan of the wet look, hence why I use the products I do. It lasts long enough for me to show it off for awhile, and about the time I forget about having a clean engine it seems to lose its ultra-shinyness. So its perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    So what again exactly did you use to clean off the dirt/grime from the engine bay? I understand that you used Poorboys Bold n Bright only to protectincrease shine and gloss. My question is what did you use to physically remove the contaminants//grime/oil?
    -Mike

Owner - Mike`s Car Wash & Detail

A New Standard of Excellence.

"Invest in a company that you know can be run by an idiot...because soon enough, it will be." ~Peter Lynch

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    My method is as follows:

1. Start with a cold engine
    2. Spray down with water
    3. Spray with Simple Green
    4. Scrub Simple Green with large tire brush
    5. Rinse
    6. Spray with Simple Green in major problem areas
    7. Clean these areas with various brushes depending on need
    8. Rinse
    9. Dry as much as my hands can reach (Very important, you will be surprised how much dirt is still on there)
    10. Let sit for a few minutes (Basically make sure the water is 95% gone)
    11. Spray with PB`s BnB
    12. Rub BnB in (use it lightly, this stuff goes a long ways)
    13. Let sit until BnB looks 95% dry
    14. Touch up problem areas with appropraite product (BnB for areas that you can reach, Stoner`s Trim Shine for areas you cannot)

Not too dificult, its actually my favorite part of detailing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice tassadar going to do that this spring for sure, Man I hate engine kote with a passion to. I have the zep professional high volume sprayer I left some engine kote in my garage over the winter only a bottle full gallon was in house although the garage never got to freezeing the engine kote turned to absolute jelleo I had to throw it out clean otu the sprayer and everything. Still cant get it to dry right in wheel wells without useing insane amounts of the product. I want to get some auto magic magic dressing thats water based. Is poorboys bold n bright water or solvent based. ?
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Tass -- those are some fantastic pics of your work. Excellent workmanship.
    [ 2001 Cobra ]

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    IM pretty sure its water based. I wan tto get some AM Super Dress-It and play around with that. Or perhaps some Megs W or S dressing and play around with it as well. I like BnB as you can tell, it has a lot going for it (I don`t like water based dressings for tires, so I will probably use it for engine only) however its a tad bit pricey for an engine-only application. So I need to find a replacement for when I manage to run out of 32 fl oz of the stuff

What combo to use next? jeff2417's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Start with it clean, keep it clean...

I use Herbal Essences shampoo, followed by a warm up drive around the block, followed by Megs QD for touch ups. Don`t use coating sprays...will make the job harder later.

:hippi

jeff.
    Sure, it`s shiny, but how smooth is it, and how does it look in direct sunlight?

What combo to use next? jeff2417's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ..and the booties on the reservoirs stop any leaks from getting the compartment nasty...
    Sure, it`s shiny, but how smooth is it, and how does it look in direct sunlight?

Post Thanks / Like
    Can`t argue with your results Jeff ... Where`d you get the booties?
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information