Thread: Scratch X?

Post Thanks / Like

Scratch X?

I just finnished detailing my car and was using scratch X to try and get some light scratches and some water etching off the hood.

this was the what i did.

Clayed
    Cleaner
    Scratch x
    Glazed
    Waxed

Using all Meguiars Gold Class.

I used my PC (Borrowed a friends Dewalt) but still wasn`t able to get some of the scratches and etching out of the hood ... and had a heck of a time removing the scratch X (was i doing something wrong?

Edit: Also after finnaly getting it all cleaned While removing the glaze i was noticing that it was leaving a haze after removing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Focusedonsound . . .Well, first off, Scratch-X can be a pain to remove. You have to work it in, let dry then it should come off fairly easily. You can use a QD to help with the removal. I use it occasionally only for very light scratches. My first choice is 3M machine glaze (39003) with my PC. Great job on scratches.

Getting the hang of scratch removal using a PC comes with experience. Once you know how a product works (with the right pad and speed) removing scratches is easy. Just stay with it. Before you know it you`ll be removing those scratches like a champ.

Removing the haze - try using a product like VM with the yellow pad (Megs) on a 4 setting. May take a few tries but they`ll come out. Haze is usually the result of using a scratch remover with a PC. That`s why a follow up with a glaze is necessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scratch-X shouldn`t be used with a pc but rather only by hand. Has somoething to do with breaking down of the polymers and the results are not good. I just read this in fact tonight in a post by Mike Phillips over at showcargarage.com.

I use Scratch-X by hand primarily for quick touchup of isolated scratches and as Dr Groove said, work it and let it dry and then I remove with a mf. I`ve not had any problems removing it or it leaving a haze when done this way.

Hope this helps.
    If the wolf howls by the light of the moon in the dark of the night...

Post Thanks / Like
    When you say (DRY) how long should I wait ...10 -15 min?

The haze didn`t show untill after using the GLAZE ... (Did I not let it set long enough)

Also another question. I just got home tonight and after spending a good part of the day working on my whole car I was still happy with the end result .... UNTILL ... I had to pull another car into the drive way and noticed once again a slight haze in the back Bumper....

I looked closer and it wasn`t on any other panel of the car other than the back bumper! Which I thought was weird.

On a side note ... After I finnished detailing the car I went and showerd and got ready to go out for the night. (About an hr had passed) and being that My G/F wasn`t ready just yet thought let me just go over the car quick with some QD (megs final inspection)

So that is everytihng I have done to the car.... 1 last thing...I know black is a tough color (its a pain just keeping it clean) But in the past I have noticed that the car looks best After I have detailed the car ... and give the car a quick wash (megs gold class soap) Is there any reason for this?

One final question There are a few areas of the car that have over laping panels (2000 Ford mustang) side scoops and I can`t get all of the wax out of these areas. Do you have any tricks for getting this off?

Thanks for all the help

Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn`t take long for it to dry sufficiently enough to remove. I work it for a half minute and then remove. You should only be using a very small amount.

I`m not sure I understand about when your car looks it`s best.

Any product you apply, like a polish or swirl remover, you definitely want to be sure it is entirely removed before the next product is applied. Otherwise you are going to get that haze in some spots. I`ve had it happen to me.

As for the wax in the panels, I would have to see a picture of the area you are talking about, but a soft toothbrush can be good for this type of thing or a soft paint brush with the bristles cut down somewhat to give them some better stiffness. Put some tape on the metal part of the paint brush to protect angainst scratching the paint. The bristles can help remove some of that wax in hard to reach places. Soft paint brush bristles though.

As for the slight haze on the bumper, I don`t know why only there unless you just missed that spot only.

Dr Groove said it right when he mentioned about learning the product and how to work with it. That really is a big part of it all.
    If the wolf howls by the light of the moon in the dark of the night...

Post Thanks / Like
    focusedonsound i always mask off all trim nowadays it takes a little time but you wont be trying to get products off of trim ..i like the blue painters tape it comes off real easy .. i buy a 10 pack at home depot 28.00.. also some dressing will hide that stuff in the mustang vents
    back in buisness baby

Thread Information