Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Tire & Wheel Care

Tire & Wheel Care Whether you have hubcaps, clearcoated factory alloy, or custom wheels worth thousands, you'll want them to look their best. Metal polishing is also discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 08-23-2006

Default Help, All Wheel Mist left residue all over my brakes

I have a brand new Acura TSX 06. I used All Wheel Mist to clean my rims. I did not see anywhere on the bottle to avoid overspray on the calipers as well as the other brake parts. I now have a white residue all over my brake calipers. Ive tried everything to remove it but it seems permanent. Any ideas on how possibly to remove it?
Old 08-23-2006

Default Re: Help, All Wheel Mist left residue all over my brakes

Congrats. I have a 05 TSX. I don't use the wheel cleaner. I prefer car wash and an old mit for reasons like you just mentioned. Plus, the wheel cleaner removes any polish or wax that has been applied to the wheels.

Regarding the calipers, it seems that the chemicals in the wheel cleaner have reacted with metal of the calipers, which is not uncommon. You can take a rag with some WD-40 or other similar lubricant and wipe the oxidization off. It has worked for me in the past. Just don't spray the lubricant on the rotor or brake pads or get it on those parts. You will probably have to remove the wheel to clean up the caliper.
Old 08-23-2006

Unhappy Re: Help, All Wheel Mist left residue all over my brakes

Thanks for thew info Bama.

I did try the WD-40 but to no avail. The stain is really etched in there. Mothers should make it bit clearer about avoiding brake calipers. Im lucky they are not expensive aftermarket brakes.
Old 08-23-2006
Administrator

luxor311@aol.com,

Please see my e-mail to you regarding phoning our Chemist.

Thank you,

admin
Old 08-24-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxor311@aol.com
Thanks for thew info Bama.

I did try the WD-40 but to no avail. The stain is really etched in there. Mothers should make it bit clearer about avoiding brake calipers. Im lucky they are not expensive aftermarket brakes.
Sorry to hear. Maybe someone can help you out.
Old 08-24-2006

Wink Re: Help, All Wheel Mist left residue all over my brakes

Thanks Admin,

I will call tomorrow. I tried Some mag and Aluminum polish its cleaned the surface but I can still see the staining. It did help though.

Thanks for at least taking notice.
Old 08-24-2006
Administrator

You're welcome.

We're finding that some types of plating on such hardware can be affected by wheel cleaners in general -- not just ours.

While the platings look good when new, after a few washings and a good rain or two... add some caked-on brake dust (and it usually doesn't take long), they start looking dull in the end, regardless.

Best to talk to the expert about it.
Old 08-24-2006

luxor,

One thing I just do nowadays out of habit -- and partially to save on product -- is to spray a little cleaner on my wash mitt dedicated to my tire/wheel routine. Of course, my wheels are smooth 5-spokes and not that intricate, so it's not for everyone. And always wash cool surfaces -- a hot wheel, rotor or caliper wil discolor in a flash.

When necessary, I'll spray directly on the wheels, avoiding other surfaces, as every wheel cleaner I've tried tends to discolor the calipers, but them's the "breaks," excuse the pun. Dirty black calipers or slightly dingy seems to be the choice.

But with over 100,000 miles on my 'Tour, I expect them to look the way that they do. I'm thinking about trying one of those Duplicolor Brake Caliper painting kits just to pretend I've got some big Baers on my little SVT.