Post Thanks / Like

Edge 2000, SSR2, PP, EX-P, Viking Polish Applicator

I had a rock hit the hood this winter and I had filled in the chip with paint but had not taken the time to sand it down and polish it out until today.

I used 1000 grit and then 1500 to sand down the paint that I used to fill the hole the rock left. After sanding it flush I went to work with the Edge 2000 and SSR2. The snap on pad worked just great and in just a few minutes with my Makita rotary the sandpaper marks were all but gone.

I turned the blue pad over (it`s the polishing pad but I didn`t want to use a cutting pad....too scared of the rotary) ...turned the blue pad over and applied some PP to the other side and polished out the remaining marks left from the 1500 and the SSR2. I followed by applying the EX-P by hand.

I`m tickled!! There is virtually no sign of the chip and it was all the way to the metal and very noticeable. Now you would really have to look hard to find it. Since I`m a novice amatuer I still get quite a kick out of being able to fix these sorts of problems by myself with the right tools and the quality products DC has taught me to use. The Edge 2000 "quick change" pad worked great and cleaned up easily. I`m going to order a custom combo pad blue (polishing) on one side, white (finish) on the other.

Later I tried out my extra Viking polish applicator in a different usage. I`ve been using an old cheapo wash mitt to apply Bold N Bright to the tires but it gets so messy that I hate using it. I decided to use the Viking blue foam applicator....the one with the foam "knob" to hold onto. Bingo!! What a great way to apply tire shine products!! The knob kept my hand out of the product, off the tire and clean while doing a great job of applying the BnB smoothly and evenly leaving me with a great finish on the tire.

I love the Viking "knob" applicator...only $1.99 at Auto Zone and it works great with polish and sealant application as well. I think it`s by far the best applicator available. With the "knob" it`s very easy to hold onto and I`ve dropped all the others several times. Since that was my extra I went to Auto Zone and got 3 more.

Sorry I`m computer stupid and can`t post pictures. Not much to see anyway. There was a big chip....now there`s not!
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad`s car has a few (well maybe more) on his LHS and he didnt do a very great job filling it in. Do you think I might come close with your results by only using touchup paint, sandpaper, PC and SSR`s? If so, I sure hope I win the PoorBoy monthly giveaway!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by filipzin
    My dad`s car has a few (well maybe more) on his LHS and he didnt do a very great job filling it in. Do you think I might come close with your results by only using touchup paint, sandpaper, PC and SSR`s? If so, I sure hope I win the PoorBoy monthly giveaway!
    I don`t know why not....if you just follow the process.

I did have to put more paint in the chip yesterday before sanding because the paint I put in back in January didn`t fill the hole. In order to get the chip to look good it has to be higher than the surrounding paint. That way you can sand it down flush.

I used a very small block to sand with. Maybe about 1" x 2". I cut off the end of a paint stir stick. Use very short strokes and sand until there`s shiny spots around the chip. Then switch to 1500 grit to sand out the 1000 grit scratches. Then the SSR2, Polish and EX....or whatever.

Having a rotary is not a must. It can be done by hand with quite a bit of rubbing. If I were doing it by hand I`d use SSR3...it`s pretty aggressive and I didn`t want to use it with the rotary given my amatuer technique and the prominent position of the chip making it very likely to show up like a huge zit on your nose.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I have noticed with touching up areas.
    The touchup paint seems to shrink as it dries. Because of that, I usually allow several days, maybe even a week, between layers of paint. After a day or two the blob is often lower than the level of the surrounding paint.
    Just my experience, your results may be entirely different.
    :dunno
    Charles

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job Jim I`m sure that chip was really bothering you and now you have your baby back in the condition you love
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CharlesW
    One thing I have noticed with touching up areas.
    The touchup paint seems to shrink as it dries. Because of that, I usually allow several days, maybe even a week, between layers of paint. After a day or two the blob is often lower than the level of the surrounding paint.
    Just my experience, your results may be entirely different.
    :dunno
    Charles
    I`ve only done a couple of touch ups but I think what I`ve seen matches your experiences Charles.

Back in January when I originally filled the chip I thought I put in a LOT of paint and I thought it was higher than the rest of the hood. But....when I started sanding yesterday I found that about 1/2 of the chip was lower than the rest of the paint....so..I had to stop sanding and apply more paint.

Being impatient by nature and too immature to wait I aided the paint drying process with a 500 watt halogen light. Hope it doesn`t shrink this time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Poorboy
    Nice job Jim I`m sure that chip was really bothering you and now you have your baby back in the condition you love
    Thanks Steve.

Not quite the condition I need it to be in. Now I need to repaint the hood. Sometime this summer that`ll get done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the repair Jim - feels good doesn`t it?

Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim,

Did you top the touch up paint with a clear coat or just used paint the color of your car?
    Hogan

Thread Information