Post Thanks / Like

What comes after DACP?

If using DACP with a PC on a car, what should come after it? Another Megs prodcuts like SFP...or would a PB SSR be just as good? And if the PB SSR is as good, which one should I use (SSR2 or 1)?

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on how rough or well polished the surface is. I`d probably move to the SSR1, then the Pro Polish then EX or EX-P, then Natty`s...if you want the wax look.

Any Swirl remover will dull the surface slightly so you need to bring back the maximum shine possible by using products with diminishing cutting agents. DACP, I`m told, has more cutting agents than SSR1 so you`d add luster with the step to SSR1, then add more luster by moving to the Pro Polish or Polish with Carnuba and then you`d move to preserve that polish by using a sealant or wax. I prefer sealant...EX-P.

That`s the process....gradually bringing the surface to maximum luster and then preserving that luster.

My best friend owns a body shop. Last year the hard tonneau cover on my new truck got keyed so I went to him to fix the scratch. He was busy so he had me do the work and I was scared to death when I used the SSR3 and it left the surface extremely dull. I was really upset!....until he explained that the process of cutting the surface deep enough to even out the scratch was naturally going to look like it ruined the finish. All it needed was to be polished. He had me go from SSR3 to 2, to 1, then polish and then sealant. It`s a process. Just be careful with the heavy cutting stuff. You can cut through the paint.

Well....that`s way more than you asked. Ask a detailer what time it is and he`ll tell you how to make a watch.
    Last edited by JimS; 03-04-2004 at 05:29 PM.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since the DACP is a somewhat abrasive product, I wouldn`t think you would need to follow it with another abrasive product.
    Depending on what you plan to use as a finish product, I would probably go with a cleaner/polish, then put on my wax/sealant.
    Klasse AIO, Poorboys PwC, S100`s SEC are three I have used with good results. 4 Star UPC gets good reviews as well. I just haven`t used it.

Charles

Edit: As I read this it doesn`t sound right that DACP, Dual Action Cleaner/Polish should need to be followed by anything other than your final wax or sealant.
    Meguiar`s says that the DACP "leaves a customer pleasng deep gloss shine". :dunno
    Last edited by CharlesW; 03-04-2004 at 05:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CharlesW
    Since the DACP is a somewhat abrasive product, I wouldn`t think you would need to follow it with another abrasive product.
    Depending on what you plan to use as a finish product, I would probably go with a cleaner/polish, then put on my wax/sealant.
    Klasse AIO, Poorboys PwC, S100`s SEC are three I have used with good results. 4 Star UPC gets good reviews as well. I just haven`t used it.

Charles

Edit: As I read this it doesn`t sound right that DACP, Dual Action Cleaner/Polish should need to be followed by anything other than your final wax or sealant.
    Meguiar`s says that the DACP "leaves a customer pleasng deep gloss shine". :dunno

Well....maybe I was thinking of some other product that I read was slightly more abrasive than SSR2. ?? I"m certainly no expert.

C`mon guys. Straighten me out. I think Charles is probably right and I`ve just been straightened out. :doh

Post Thanks / Like
    It might leave a customer a pleasing deep gloss shine ... but it is not shiney enough for me ... I always follow up with #82 SFP and sometimes #3 Machine Glaze. Now that`s a pleasing shine. IMHO
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JimS
    Well....maybe I was thinking of some other product that I read was slightly more abrasive than SSR2. ?? I"m certainly no expert.

C`mon guys. Straighten me out. I think Charles is probably right and I`ve just been straightened out. :doh
    You are probably correct on the DACP being more abrasive than SSR2. The thing with Meg`s abrasives is the fact that they seem to break down and leave a finished surface.
    I have never used DACP, so I probably should just shut up and read what some of the DACP users have to say.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on a few things for me. If DACP is worked properly, Charles is right, you can go straight to wax or sealant. It also IMO depends on the pad used, if you use a cutting pad, expect to follow up with something else.

If I use DACP with a rotary, I follow up with speed glaze or SFP with the PC. When I first started using a rotary I would use DACP with a rotary, then use DACP with the PC. I was trying to make sure that if I left any swirls behind while using the rotary, I would remove them with the PC.

Final thing it depends on IMO is the color of the car and your own persoanl goal for the paint. On silver I am sure you can use DACP and go straight to wax or sealant without thinking twice. On black, the finish can definitely be improved upon after DACP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well what i got from this thread is that (on darker cars) DACP should be followed up by sometihng less abrasive (like SSR1, or SFP). While on lighter cars, depending on the pad, DACP can be followed by a wax or sealant?

How does this look for a dark colored car: (black)
    DACP
    SSR1
    AIO
    s100

or

DACP
    SSR1
    SFP
    NXT

What are you guys regimine for swirls?

Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest benefit of using DACP is that while you use it, the abrasives degrade, they get smaller and finer, and if used properly, you shouldnt need to use another follow up polish. You have to use it, until its gone, with the exception of a fine haze, which is easily removed. I usually follow up with a glaze, VM, then proceed to seal. You can use DACP, and remove while theres still a thick haze on the surface, and then follow up with SSR 2 or SSR1, but your defeating the purpose of its intent, Dual Action, Cleaner, Polisher......Poorboys is good stuff, im sure you could get the same results with a couple passes of #2.....proceed with number 1, follow up with your fav sealer......

Regime for swirls, dependant on severity....Ive used 3M SMR, PB #3,2,1, DACP, BF UPC, PUPC, Wizards compound....It really depends....
    Happy detailing........
    When it`s you car, every detail matters...........

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 2drtahoez71
    Well what i got from this thread is that (on darker cars) DACP should be followed up by sometihng less abrasive (like SSR1, or SFP). While on lighter cars, depending on the pad, DACP can be followed by a wax or sealant?

How does this look for a dark colored car: (black)
    DACP
    SSR1
    AIO
    s100

or

DACP
    SSR1
    SFP
    NXT

What are you guys regimine for swirls?
    Your plans are pretty close to my normal full detail for our vehicles. Keeping in mind that they won`t be real bad to start with, so It isn`t a real difficult job.

For a very dark blue, almost black mini-van and a red `81 Corvette:

Meguiar`s #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 - PC with a polishing pad.

Klasse AIO - Sometimes by hand, sometimes with the PC and a polishing pad. I do intend to try a finishing pad with the AIO in the near future.

4 Star UPP - Sometimes by hand, sometimes with the PC and a finishing pad.

For a Bright red Grand Prix:

Meguiar`s #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 - PC with a polishing pad.

Poorboy`s PwC - PC with a polishing pad

S100 Carnauba - By hand
    or
    NXT - PC with a finishing pad.

So many products, so little time. :crazy

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks guys....ive been doing a lot of research on SMRs and I think im getting the hang of em. Now I just have to order them, and get out there and use em

Post Thanks / Like
    Cant go wrong with PB`s 1-2-3 punch !
    When it`s you car, every detail matters...........

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife`s black mustang has scratches and swirls on her fiberglass spoiler. Can you use DACP on the spoiler or maybe SSR1 or SSR2 without damage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by andriver
    My wife`s black mustang has scratches and swirls on her fiberglass spoiler. Can you use DACP on the spoiler or maybe SSR1 or SSR2 without damage?
    I wouldl think it would be just like using SSR`s on other painted surfaces.

Post Thanks / Like
    EACP comes after DACP
    :lol
    You have activated my special ability....

Thread Information