Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2002 Chevrolet Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Water Spots on Windows-Your Opinions Needed...

Ok here is the thing. My dad has a 97 Acura RL. He is not the original owner and the previous owner took pretty good care of it, but there have always been water spots on the windows. This morning I washed the car and then I clayed the back window. The glass got smoother to the touch, but the "hard" water spots were still there.

I looked through some older threads and a lot of them said clay, but that didn`t work. I`m looking for a solution that can be done by hand.

I also read a thread that said something about steel wool, but I don`t feel comfortable taking steel wool anywhere near a car.

Opinions and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try some poorboy`s PP, I used it to take the waterspots off of paint, I`m pretty sure it will be fine on glass. I`ve read those who use steel wool on their glass are left with micromarring.
    "A car doesn`t have to be the fastest or most powerful to be the love of your life" -Temperacerguy

2002 Chevrolet Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by eggroll
    Try some poorboy`s PP, I used it to take the waterspots off of paint, I`m pretty sure it will be fine on glass. I`ve read those who use steel wool on their glass are left with micromarring.
    Thanks for the response.

As soon as I posted this thread I felt like going outside, so I tried a few things:

1. Vinegar-Didn`t work

2. Mother`s cleaner wax-didn`t work

3. I even felt "dangerous" and tried a little goo-gone.

Forgive my ignorance, but could you elaborate on Poorboy`s PP? I`m still kinda new hear and I don`t know all of their products.
    EDIT: Just noticed you`re kinda new here also. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    PP (pro polish) is a chemical cleaner, it works for a lot of things, I have used it to remove wax stains from trimming, oxidation very minor swirling and waterspots. Kind of Like AIO w/o protection, and it is liquid in form.
    "A car doesn`t have to be the fastest or most powerful to be the love of your life" -Temperacerguy

2002 Chevrolet Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by eggroll
    PP (pro polish) is a chemical cleaner, it works for a lot of things, I have used it to remove wax stains from trimming, oxidation very minor swirling and waterspots. Kind of Like AIO w/o protection, and it is liquid in form.
    Oh Ok Thanks. I`ve been kicking around the idea of ordering a few things from them to try out on my car, so I`ll keep that in mind.

I'm back YIPEE Refreshed! The Chee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have some terrible waterspot that has etched into the windows as the previous owner didn`t take good care of them. A few days ago my order for P21S/s100 Multi-Surface Finish Restorer which I intended to use on my grille as there are some waterspot there, it removed them without a snitch. I tried them on the windows, yes it removed them but need some elbow grease as you can imagine we have some hot ass sun all year long baking them into the windows. Since they are all over the windows as well as windscreen, I didn`t try to get them all off as I don`t intend to use up my tube of Finish restorer just for that.

SO I`m going to try out poorboy`s pro polish instead (soon,very very soon, poorboy will COMPLETE me )

ps: I also used it to clean the exhaust tip coated with black diesel residue which I have been neglected for a year and a half. It came out nicely I must say

Btw, don`t forget PAC has 10% off when you use the coupon code:naughty .

Alternatively, you could check out motorcitypoorboy , he`s got some kickass website
    A man has got to recognize his limitations, and then learn how to adapt within those confines. Then go out and conquer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Use Autoglym Car Glass Polish and the glass polishing kit from properautocare.com. It comes with a 3" backing plate for the porter cable DA polisher and some special pads. If you don`t have a PC, colkercompany.com has a special chemical for removing water spots. I use this acidic cleaner to remove spots on neglected glass, however, do not use it on the windshield (you can follow this link...http://www.colkercompany.com/glass_restoration.html). Tiny scratches on the surface of the windshield causes by the wiper blades will allow this product to damage the laminate in most windshields causing it to become cloudy. I use the Crystal Clear 550 - Glass Clearing Agent for automotive and commercial window applications. For auto`s I would recommend diluting the cleaner with water per the instructions.
    "I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." - Sir Winston Churchill

I'm back YIPEE Refreshed! The Chee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by overtheedge
    Use Autoglym Car Glass Polish and the glass polishing kit from properautocare.com. It comes with a 3" backing plate for the porter cable DA polisher and some special pads.
    Just a note about Autoglym Car Glass Polish, I have this as well, but it does nothing against the waterspot on my windows when using cotton towel, on the other hand it might work with the help of PC:dunno .As for Crystal Clear 550, seems kinda pricy and you have to buy in gallon size, yikes! shame that it couldn`t be used on the windscreen, as there`s a layer of film I`m trying to remove as well.Cheers for that overtheedge, I`ll try PP first, if it doesn`t work, I might have to get this

Do update us on what you try out 91LSMAN k .

Later
    Chee
    A man has got to recognize his limitations, and then learn how to adapt within those confines. Then go out and conquer.

2002 Chevrolet Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will keep you guys updated-just have to decide what to try out.

The Crystal Clear 550 sounded great until I realized I would have to buy so much.

Thanks for the ideas guys-keep em comin!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by The Chee
    Just a note about Autoglym Car Glass Polish, I have this as well, but it does nothing against the waterspot on my windows when using cotton towel, on the other hand it might work with the help of PC:dunno .As for Crystal Clear 550, seems kinda pricy and you have to buy in gallon size, yikes! shame that it couldn`t be used on the windscreen, as there`s a layer of film I`m trying to remove as well.Cheers for that overtheedge, I`ll try PP first, if it doesn`t work, I might have to get this

Do update us on what you try out 91LSMAN k .

Later
    Chee
    $32.50 is really not that bad. Just think about what you have spent on car cleaning products over the years. Also, I need to mention that it is best to apply this produt to a cool surface out of direct sunlight. Shoot, by a gallon, split it up into smaller bottles and sale some to your friends.

The autoglym GP works great with the PC and the special pads. I agree that with a terrycloth alone, it does not help much.
    "I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." - Sir Winston Churchill

Post Thanks / Like
    How about trying 00 or 0000 Steel wool???

Post Thanks / Like
    be careful with acid cleaners on glass i messed up some glass last week and im going to find a new way to remove waterspots so ill be following this post . im not proud that i messed up someones glass but ill share good and bad experiences here so you dont do the same thing..i got some bad advice from a pro and it was a learning experience ..
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bigron62
    be careful with acid cleaners on glass i messed up some glass last week and im going to find a new way to remove waterspots so ill be following this post . im not proud that i messed up someones glass but ill share good and bad experiences here so you dont do the same thing..i got some bad advice from a pro and it was a learning experience ..
    Always be careful with any product that contains acidic cleaners. I have been using this stuff for years and it`s very mild and it is intended to be used on glass. Follow the directions and if you are uncomfortable using this sort of product, don`t use it. I have not had any problems in the 2 years I have been using it.

Chadwick's Auto Detailing membim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is nothing wrong with using #0000 steel wool on your glass.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use acid based products all the time on glass without any problems ... here is what I use on the car and on the house windows (yes I do windows)
    I go to the local janitor supply store and buy a quart of acid based toilet bowel cleaner
    In the shade ...
    I put a small amount on a paper towel or small cloth and very carefully wipe it on the windowLet it sit for a few minutes
    Wipe off with a wet but not dripping paper towel or cloth.
    Wipe again with a dry cloth
    Clean the window with whatever you normally use.
    This works extremely well, but you must be careful ...
    The acid can burn your fingers and it can also damage any metal it might come in contact with.
    Someone mentioned in an earlier thread that he used an acid based wheel cleaner.
    If in doubt always try a small are first.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information