Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 01-20-2009

Lightbulb Winter Wash?

Has anyone noticed that we go to the car wash more than we do it ourselves in the winter. It might be just me but I noticed that today i dont do it much but when it needs to be cleaned in the winter I hate to do it but I go to the car wash instead of doing it myself. Also I notice that when i got my first car at age 17 I cleaned it at least once a week. But now that I have a different car and maybe that I am older I dont do it as much. Any thoughts?
Old 01-20-2009

Default Re: Winter Wash?

I have a garage so I use a rinseless product that I can do myself. I would never go to a car wash due to risk of damage (swirls, harsh chemicals on wheels, etc).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mkz onr2.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	1291  
Old 01-20-2009

^^

lucky!

Stocktasticgtidarkkkksig by edward.farmer, on Flickr

2010 Volkswagen GTI

DSG | Huffs | Interlagos Plaid
Old 01-21-2009

When I did the wash, it was around 50 F in the garage although I used halogens for supplemental light (brought temp up about 5F at the end). It was a much colder outside. You can use warm water and just dress warmly. My garage rarely gets below 40 F except when it is less than 20 F outside.

The moral is that you can detail during the winter months to maintain your car. I did a rinseless wash and waxed another car using Reflections (need to rewash and take some pics) around the same temp. I did not have any real issues with application or removal. I think "drying to haze" is more related to humidity as it is temperature.

You can get creative since it does not have to be in a garage either. Rinseless is actually faster than a hose wash since there is less prep and finishing (getting the hose out and drying since I spend more time doing walk around to remove water spots and touch ups with a hose wash).