Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Gas, $2.45/gal, yikes

I know this is really off topic, but with the rising gas prices, I`m trying to find a way to get ahead at the pump.

Currently, our gas prices in HI are about $2.45 for premium and about $2.20 for regular. Costco sells its gas at $2.12 for premuim and under $2 for regular but the lines are long (approx. 10 min. wait).

I have two questions that I hope someone can help me with: 1) Is there a difference between Costco`s gas and Chevron`s gas?; and 2) does the grade of gas (i.e. premium v. regular) make a difference in gas mileage. When I spoke with the attendant at Costco, he said that Costco gas does not contain all of the same additives as other gas, but does contain Costco`s own additive. As for the mileage thing, I read a letter to the editor today where the writer claimed to get an additional 13 mpg on premium in a Buick Park Avenue. I`m extremely skeptical about his results, but I have found that premium might get me another 2-3 mpg, but I`m not sure why. When I crunch the numbers, it almost seems like it`s a savings to put in premium over regular. Any comments or thoughts?

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I talk to truckdrivers all the time. I was told discount gas stations buy what`s available. A discount station could have a "name" gas as well a cheaper brand (a no name). He said he never goes "name" brand gas and has never had any fuel or engine problems due to gasoline. I`m talking fuel for vehicles not truck fuel. The mechanic who works on my cars told me it`s a waste of money to put premium in a car that does not specify premium gas only. He did say that a tank of premium in my V8 chevy engine once a month would help keep my fuel injection clean but that I didn`t have to. I never pay attention to miles per gallon because it wouldn`t change anything for me/us.
    Last edited by rabbi; 05-19-2004 at 03:46 PM.
    "I`m staying out of it."

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m old school, so I put regular in my 5.0 all the time. It did ping, but only when I really put my foot in it, so I kept that to a minimum. I guess with a V8, I never noticed the difference when I put in premium on mileage, but with my Honda Civic, I`m starting to notice a difference, not really in performance, but in mileage. I initially thought it was driving habits, or change in weather, but when I saw that article in the paper, I started to consider whether grade of gas has something to do with the increase in mileage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guess it`s time for you to quit all those V8`s and use more economical engines like the ones we do. I guess you`re saying you pay $2.12 for one gallon of regular, well, I`m paying 1.05 euros ($ 1.25) for a litter of it (about $4.76 per gallon).

So, stop complaining and wake up for the real world!
    Portuguese details detalhe.net

Post Thanks / Like
    jgv has a good point. The U.S. usually has the lowest gas prices by far than any other country. We are spoiled...but I like being spoiled....
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Post Thanks / Like
    Premium gas is a waste of money unless your car is designed to use premium. Cars with higher compression motors benefit from premium but most modern cars only require unleaded.

Post Thanks / Like
    andriver is correct. Performance engines that have high compression or use forced induction require higher octane ratings to prevent detonation.

here is an interesting link some may like to read:
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    I once read, back in the early 90`s, that Shell passed Mercedes gasoline test - for their premium. However, the lower octane gases of Shell were not tested but had the same cleaners and such in them. The Mercedes test requirements had to do with keeping the fuel injectors clean as I recall. Not all gasolines had such ingredients or to a degree that met Mercedes requirements. For what it`s worth. Who knows what has changed since that dated article.

As for complaining about gas prices here in the US, I suppose we complain because this is where we make and live out our lives. We complain about rising healthcare costs, inflation when it is a problem, our politicians and so on. This I am sure happens in other countries quite naturally as well. We have much to be grateful for here in the US. This doesn`t negate our right to complain though. If a right to complain is based upon the requirement that you have the worst of a situation, more so than any other country in the world, then complaining would be quite specific and isolated by situation. Simply not reality. Most things in life are quite relative. Nevertheless, it could be far worse and for that we can be very grateful.
    If the wolf howls by the light of the moon in the dark of the night...

Post Thanks / Like
    Just remember, gas prices are all in your head.....we really are fortunate here in the States.

However, my truck shopping has lead me to an F-250 Diesel ($1.53/gallon)
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe somebody needs to start shooting at oil company big-wigs instead of the peons. They are the ones deriving the benefits so let them be the ones to have to dodge bullets. I`m pissed off....thouroughly.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Professional Detailer detailbarn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know about all the spoiled comments , our prices have always been lower becasue we used more gas. If it continues to rise at this rate it will cause alot of people serious problems. Personally I can`t take the hit of $2.00 a gallon but I`m being forced to. I drive well over 200 miles a day for work and I don`t get a gas allowance so if it hits $3.00 a gallon I`ll be looking for a new job.
    Doug Lucas
    The Detail Barn

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be in the premium only catagory ;( -
    You have activated my special ability....

No Woolpad Butchers Here! EZ Boy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big fat deal. Unleaded in Oz is humping around at about $5/gallon and we still strap superchargers to our Gen3 350ci`s - because we can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by detailbarn
    I don`t know about all the spoiled comments , our prices have always been lower becasue we used more gas. If it continues to rise at this rate it will cause alot of people serious problems. Personally I can`t take the hit of $2.00 a gallon but I`m being forced to. I drive well over 200 miles a day for work and I don`t get a gas allowance so if it hits $3.00 a gallon I`ll be looking for a new job.
    I`m in the same situation as you, although I only do 120 miles per day. The recent .40 cents price increase costs me an additional $600 per year for commuting. I`m sure it won`t stop there though.

I`m wondering what the typical commute is like for Europeans. Do commutes require high mileages? And I was under the impression that the public transit system in Europe is pretty efficient. Europe is a lot more condensed that the United States, which I would think means less driving.
    Maybe that`s why gas costs more there, less gas is used so it needs to be priced higher?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by EZ Boy
    Big fat deal. Unleaded in Oz is humping around at about $5/gallon and we still strap superchargers to our Gen3 350ci`s - because we can.
    :yeah
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information