Thread: Tough Guard

Post Thanks / Like

Tough Guard

Anybody have any experience with the Tough Guard paint sealant? It sounds too good to be true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Were can I read about it or what are they claming. Let me guess you never have to wax your car again?
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    You supposedly don`t have to wax for up to 5 years. The testimonials on THEIR website sound great.

www.toughguard.com

From what I`ve seen, you can ONLY buy through them (no retailers sell it).

Post Thanks / Like
    Their testmionials mean jack to me. I have a real hard time believeing that you don`t have to do anything for 5 years. Looks like a lot of hype to me. The ad says your car looks show room clean, never have to wax your car. You wash the car less, (what does the dirt slip off?)

Anyway I`m sure that the sealant is good but 5 years is a bit over the top
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    They tried to pawn this off to me at the Harley Dealership. IF there is a "rejuvination" or "maintenance" product, you are essentailly waxing/protecting your vehicle. Just buy some Poorboy`s EX and you`ll be good to go with some $$ to spare. :lol
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    I tend to agree with you both. It`s pretty pricy stuff and I`ll need more than testimonials from the manufacturer`s website to convince.

Thanks for your input - the $$ I save I can use for beer and more car care products like Beemerboy! :beer

Post Thanks / Like
    If you do a search over at roadfly.org/detailing, someone (Mike, I think) was doing a small test a little while ago. He compared Crystal Guard, Tough Guard, and Zaino. Throughout 4 weeks, if I remember correctly, he thought Tough Guard was just a bit better in most aspects than Zaino (Crystal Guard wasn`t doing well). He stopped updates though, I think because of lack of interest. I think Tough Guard might actually be good, probably not five years though, but what is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tough Guard sounds a lot like 5 start shine, or that other acrylic stuff that GEM makes. No way a product would really last 5 years and keep your car looking perfect.... if it really worked that well, car wax companies like maguires (big $$$ corp) would probably be leading the way and shutting other companies down for lack of $. Besides which, after 1825 days does it all of a sudden fail? chip, yellow or crack?

Lets put this ino perspective.... if i pay 10$ a year for carnauba wax. over 5 years I spend $50.00
    If i was to use toughguard brand i pay say..$50.00 over 5 years...

I think the reality is that we all know acrylic is like putting a shell on your paint (not neccessarily a good thing), they probably bank on the fact that the average person keeps a car like what 3-4 years?
    So they can make just as much in one sale as others can in 5 sales, and bank on you trading in your car so you`ll never give it a 5 year test....

I`d bet if it really worked that well, car makers would use it to reduce the number of paint claims under warranty..... sound more realistic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds somewhat like Simoniz...their system 5...says it has Teflon and they are the only authorized company to have the rights to use Teflon with their products...and is insured by Great American Insurance for 5 years. Some dealers are doing a bang up job selling this product.

Thread Information