Post Thanks / Like

Getting PC, Which Pads?

I need another tool like I need a hole in my head, and my wife is probably going to kill me, but the thought of a new PC in my hand is just too tempting.

So I`ve been looking around and it looks like CostalTool is as good as any place to get the 7424. But what I`m confused about is the pads. From CT the 7424 comes with a 6" H&L pad and counterweights. Nice deal.

I like the Edge pads from PAC, but it uses a 5" H&L back. Hate to have to buy another back.

Then Proper has their DA-KIT with a 6" back and various pads. And it uses a flexible backing plate, which I assume is a little easier for contours.

Or, the Lake Country pads (6" again) seem very nice and popular. Plus they seem to cover the edge of the backing plate better.

1) Is the 6" backing pad the best/easiest to use, or should I go with the 5"

2) Is the flexible backing plate better?

3) With the LC pads, they seem to cover the backing plate better. Is this a better pad?

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to DC man! I am about to buy my PC stuff.

Just to let you know the CT kit comes with both the 5inch and 6inch backplate. (6/5 ounce CW also). I am not confident on buying the CT backplate since I have heard the plate can wear out after a few uses.

1) 6" backing plate is hard for 6.5 pads. Easy with 5 inch pads. Depends on the design. I do know the Edge wrap around pretty safely.

2) Flexible I guess is just easier for curves. Same action I believe

3) Covering the backplate doesn`t mean its better, it just covers. You have to look at the foam that is acting on the paint. LC pads are good, I think its the best pad to trust on the market. But I personnally want to go with Edge cause I have a large customer service field to select and the new DA pads are stronger, better velcro design, and somewhat cheaper.

Check out TOL for cheap pads right now. Hope I could help

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think the Coastal Tool kit comes with a 5" plate. I believe it has the 5" and 6" counterweights, but only a 6" plate.

The redesigned Edge DA Durafoam pads are about 6.5" across, so a 6" plate will be okay with them. The original Edge DA pads were slightly smaller.

Flexible vs. non-flexible plates are a matter of preference.

The CMA kit includes private labeled Lake Country pads. The 6" LC pads don`t cover a 6" plate as well as the redesigned Edge DA pads. It`s the 7.5" LC pads that have the recessed plastic piece that surrounds the edge of the backing plate.

My 2 cents -
    The Edge DA Durafoam material is the most durable and easiest to clean. The 6" LC variable contact pads are the easiest to use for a newbie as they limit splatter. The 7.5" LC Advanced (curved edge) pads give the operator the most control, but they require a little more practice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup Marj is right. It only comes with the 6 inch backplate:
    http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...584+1089355123

I choose Edge. I will see the LC pads another day.

Thread Information