Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 03-15-2006

Default Time between "phases"?

Hi folks. Waxing newbie here.

My black car is over 3 years old, has been totally outside for 2 of those and the surface really is starting to look dull. I've been looking forward to doing a complete waxing for a long time and planning on using Mother's "Phase" system (although for phase 3, I'll be using a non-Mother's carnuba/polymer blend).

My question is how long do I wait after completing each phase? After using the Pre-Wax Cleaner, can I start imediately on to the Sealer and Glaze, and then imediately after that onto the waxing?

Thanks for reading.
Old 03-15-2006
Administrator

Default Re: Time between "phases"?

Glencie,

Welcome!

You can follow Pre-Wax Cleaner immediately with the Sealer & Glaze without any issues; and so on with your final product.

Work methodically, body panel by body panel. Say if you start Pre-Wax Cleaner at the driver's side headlight, work your way around. Then start Sealer & Glaze at the same place.

But with being outside for 2 years, you'll really want to consider the Clay Bar Paint Saving System first.

And whatever you top with, you'll want to make sure it's not an aggressive cleaner wax, or you may remove your Sealer & Glaze.

Depending on if you're planning on a hand application, or if you have access to a machine (and what kind), you may want to consider a different approach -- especially if you want to remove any spiderwebbing you might have.

Tell us more about your finish problems, and if the vehicle is now relegated to staying outside.
Old 03-15-2006

Default Re: Time between "phases"?

Thanks for the quick response!

Didn't think about clay. I will use that. It's been kept in a garage for the last year and will likely be that way from now on. The only other variable I know to describe are the visible swirls all over.

I'll be doing this all by hand. The final wax will be Meguiar's #26 "Hi Tech Yellow Wax" which doesn't have a cleaner element. I like what I'm reading on the net about it for black cars.
Closed Thread