Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 02-02-2007

Default Back to Black

I'm detailing my Wifes PT Cruiser today, first nice day in a while.

Its paint and trim is perfect, looks new except the gray plastic bumpers, they are faded.

I have been using Protectant and Duration on the trim and the black trim looks like new but the gray is starting to look bad.

Wondering if I could use Black to Black on the Gray plastic bumper, or would it make it worse.

Don't want to make it black just make the gray look better.

Thanks

kbshadow
Stockton Ca
Old 02-02-2007
Administrator

Default Re: Back to Black

kbshadow,

Back-to-Black would be ideal.

Apply a heavy coat before you polish/wax and let it penetrate while you're detailing. This will also help prevent any accidental polish/wax staining.

Apply more Back-to-Black throughout the day as necessary (it may take 2-3 applications over time).

When you're done waxing and removing product, then do a final light buff on the trim with a microfiber or plush cotton terry towel -- use a little extra buff on your steps or they may become slippery when wet.
Old 02-02-2007

Thanks Admin.

Just finished, did 2 coats and buffed the heck out of it, turned out like new.

Should have done it a long time ago.

Actually did not think I could ever bring it back to like new.

kbshadow
Stockton Ca
Old 02-02-2007
Administrator

You're welcome!

When you think about what those pieces cost to replace, I'm surprised so many owners let them get oxidized. Of course, it's always easiest to do nothing. I was talking to a gentleman the other day who said it cost $1700 to replace those pieces on his Expedition... compared to the cost of a bottle of Back-to-Black and a little bit of time, I think I'd be applying Back-to-Black on a regular basis.
Old 02-03-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
kbshadow,

Back-to-Black would be ideal.

Apply a heavy coat before you polish/wax and let it penetrate while you're detailing. This will also help prevent any accidental polish/wax staining.

Apply more Back-to-Black throughout the day as necessary (it may take 2-3 applications over time).

Admin

Just wanted to say it turned out better than I thought it could.

New, The bumper was very dark gray and had faded to a splochey light gray, looked awful.

After three apps it was back to a like new dark gray, just like it was new.

I don't under stand it because the back to Black is white but it renews the plastic to original color.

Also I getting old and have some gray hair, do you think I can use Back to Black to get rid of the gray and look younger.

Thanks again.

kbshadow
Stockton Ca
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2007

I found that door rubber trims of my 2.5 years car does not get serious oxidized because I had applied Protectant at early stage. My 1 year old car door rubber trims get oxdized bcos I did not apply anything. I will apply Protectant tommorrow. I tend to use Back to Black only if Protectant does not work. Not sure if this is right thing to do, as Back To Black is thick and takes more time to even them.
Old 05-26-2007

Once you apply Back to Black, does it make sense to apply a protectant? I assume you use the protectant as protection unless you want to restore something.

Does Protectant have cleaning or restorative properties (like make it shiny, etc)?
Old 05-26-2007

Al.
Use the 'Search' facility in this forum and read about it. There's a lot of good information here about this product.
It's a penetrating type of product. It's not wipe on wipe off. You have to give it time to actually penetrate.
I find if you apply it using a terry cloth, and then allow plenty of time for it to penetrate, and then buff away with a clean terry cloth, not a MF. Use some grunt when you buff it off.
Then, if you wash your car each week, just check. Every third wash you should be reapplying your Last Step Product to your car's paint, whatever that might be, and at that time I would check and maybe apply the Protectant at that time.

So Back To Black penetrates and restores the vinyl from grey back to black, and the Protectant just protects.

Back To Black has no cleaners in it that you might think of in the same vein as a paint polishing product.
It just penetrates.
Main thing to remember. Give it time to 'do its thing.'

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 05-26-2007

I did see your other posts on how to apply Back to Black and I actually saved them. The results were great.

My question was whether I should apply Protectant on an occasional basis to extend the effect or would I just end up applying more Back to Black if the effect is more than 30 days.
Old 05-26-2007
Administrator

It can depend on the finish, but use Protectant when and where you can as it's generally easier to apply and less expensive.

When Protectant doesn't seem to be enough to keep the look you like, then use Back-to-Black.
Closed Thread