Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Tire & Wheel Care

Tire & Wheel Care Whether you have hubcaps, clearcoated factory alloy, or custom wheels worth thousands, you'll want them to look their best. Metal polishing is also discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 11-30-2007

Default tire dressing recommendation

I made a post on here a few weeks ago about applying tire dressing and the sling-off onto my car's paint and rims.

I was looking for some insight on what people use to give their tires that deep, wet look when they drive without suffering at the expense of sling-off that is aggravating to wipe off time and time again.

There are so many products out there, from gels, foams, sprays, and the like, and it seems like everyone prefers something different.

If I have to make an investment in a product I know will work, I'd rather do that than to buy something just for the heck of it.

For this particular product, I consider a few things important:

1. How easy is it to apply?
2. How much of a shine does it leave? For how long?
3. Can I be sure it will stay on the tire ONLY? (i.e., not sling-off onto my paint and/or rims)

Thank you.
Old 12-01-2007

Default Re: tire dressing recommendation

finally managed to find your old thread, so here's what i would suggest:
stick with your current product first and just refine your application techniques...e.g. maybe try lesser of the product next time and buff more often? or something like that. 'coz as you noticed, people use different prods, and as the saying goes: one man's junk may be one man's treasure...

I use the FX Tire Shine, it works well for me.
Old 12-01-2007

Rlestra,

I have an answer to the deep wet tire look that you want. It's comprised of two steps, though. I first start out with Mothers FX Tire Shine. I put it on an applicator sponge and smear a very thin coat of it on the tire. I do that until I cover the whole tire. I do that to all the tires and go back to the very first tire I did. Now, I get a water-based protectant (I use Armor All. Sorry, guys.) and I spray a spritz on my applicator sponge. Now, I dab it on to the tire. The tire will be very wet with the protectant. Just let it dry for about fifteen minutes and you'll love the results.

If you put just a very thin coat of FX Tire Shine, it will not sling.

The initial shine will probably last 4 days if driven daily and it doesn't rain. It can go up to about two weeks in the absence of rain while driven daily.

Grabby

I wish I could just detail everyday.

Old 12-01-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabby View Post
If you put just a very thin coat of FX Tire Shine, it will not sling.

The initial shine will probably last 4 days if driven daily and it doesn't rain. It can go up to about two weeks in the absence of rain while driven daily.

Grabby
Yep, that seems to be the case with all tire gels... keep it thin, remove any excess, and give the product some time to dry, bond, penetrate the rubber, or whatever it is they need to do before driving the vehicle.

I get about the same durability. No matter which product, if you drive in the rain, even for or short period of time, the stuff will be gone.

P.S. - Two thin coats of FX Tire Shine is pretty wet and glossy.
Old 04-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlestra5 View Post
I made a post on here a few weeks ago about applying tire dressing and the sling-off onto my car's paint and rims.

I was looking for some insight on what people use to give their tires that deep, wet look when they drive without suffering at the expense of sling-off that is aggravating to wipe off time and time again.

There are so many products out there, from gels, foams, sprays, and the like, and it seems like everyone prefers something different.

If I have to make an investment in a product I know will work, I'd rather do that than to buy something just for the heck of it.

For this particular product, I consider a few things important:

1. How easy is it to apply?
2. How much of a shine does it leave? For how long?
3. Can I be sure it will stay on the tire ONLY? (i.e., not sling-off onto my paint and/or rims)

Thank you.
FX Tire Shine is one of the best I have ever used.
Old 04-17-2009
Moderated User

I like Meguiars Gold Class ENDURANCE gel the best plus it has a nice grape smell
Closed Thread