Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Garage floor sealers

Anybody have any ideas on what to use for a garage floor sealer? I was thinking of getting that battleship gray epoxy type sealer from Home Depot. Any experiences, good or bad? And ease of installation?

Thanks,
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    there is also anthor one where you just lay down a big rubber sheet but I cant remeber the URL its fairly expensive but avalible in like 15 different colors and you just shape it to your garage. The floor paint it ok it wear`s off in some area of heavy traffic area`s.
    www.exotiXboard.com

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    The epozy type sealants are great. I`ve never used one of the floor mats things but they look like they would be a great alternative. I think dwane sells one even. Just be carefull when sealling the floor. You will be getting it wet so if you have an already finnished concreat floor you may wish to had some large grain sand to give some tration.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a rubberized coating that a lot of airports use in their hangers. Its amazing stuff, you can get jsut about anything on it, and wipe it right up without staining. Downside though, its about $18,000 for 100x100 ft.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like

Good Stuff

I have the 2 part epoxy coating on my floor and it is the stuff home depot sells. I have the two part, not the paint. It is the stuff you buy in kits, they have grey with speckles and tan with speckles. I bought two kits to do a two car garage and I really like the look of the product and the longevity has been very good. Makes for a very easy and quick clean up. I just spray down the floor with the hoze. I generally do clean it every few weeks or if I get some of the silicone based tire gels on it (makes it rather slippery). The speckles you see are dry pain flakes that you sprinkle on the floor right after applying a section. It was easy to apply, just mix the two cans, stir it good, let it set up in the cans for a little while, then apply with a roller. Doing a section at a time I would put the speckles down after each section. The speckels give a nice appearance and also help with slip resistance when walking on it wet. Would recommend getting the surface prepped really well. Kit comes with a cleaener and it worked well for me. Only draw back is you need to keep a car off of it for several, days. I would recommend keeping cars of it for three days and then covering it with card board where the tires sit for a week or so. This worked well for me, I will post a picture when I get home.

-Matt

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like intresting stuff. What kind of price did it run for?

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Check this out. Very cool!

http://premiumautocare.com/papadgaflpr.html

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like

Home Depot Stuff ... Price

If I remember right, it was about $60 USD for each kit and I had to use two kits for my garage foor. The price was acceptable for me.

-Matt

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds decent. Do you remember the square footage of your garage?

Post Thanks / Like
    MattS,

How gritty is the two part epoxy coating that you have. I`m looking for something with some traction but I want to be able to mop the floor rather than spray down the floor of the garage. I just have too much equipment in my garage to spray water.

Post Thanks / Like

Answers

Tass .... will go measure it this evening and post back.

95YJ ..... the surface has "reasonable" texture to it. It is not slip resistant like sand paper, but it does have some resistance. I think I would have been a little happier with more sli resistance, but if it is wet, I can mop or spray and I do not slip by walking over it, but at severe angles with pressure, it can slip a little. I have not fallen yet and I work pretty aggressively.

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen various floor coverings like Dwayne sells (California Car Care sells several also), but I find the price to be rather high. The Home Depot epoxy I found is about $40 for the gallon (enough to do my garage, I believe). I hadn`t thought about slip resistance, but it might not be much of an issue as my weekend car will be in the garage, and it doesn`t go out into the winter weather at all, and rarely in the rain. You could probably aways sprinkle down some sand or something as the epoxy sets to give a little better traction. I am just trying to avoid staining the concrete floor with oil or anything.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anybody know what waterparks use to coat their concrete with? That stuff has to be good, its covered in chlorinated water all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its a Rubber Based product. Some of the stuff is also concrete based thats why its all ruff.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like

Some info ....

Dimensions:
    20` X 20` == 400 sq. ft.

Pictures to follow
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information