Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question When to Change a PC Pad

Just wondering at what point do you want to change out a PC pad? Just starting using my new PC (7424) with Edge Pads.

Do you use the same pad for an entire job? (1 pad pure product use I know this)

But I want to know that as you add more product to the pad after each section, is there a saturation point of build up that occurs that you want to use another clean pad?

I know I`ve gone over some seals and glass rubber moldings despite how careful I am it happens. I notice the pad will pickup some of the black off the rubber but I keep moving on or I notice that the pad begins to take on more smooth look as product starts to build up on the pad. Is this a bad thing?

So far it does not appear to have any effect on my work. Just thought I`d get some feedback from those have done this longer.

Talk-to-me. :phone:
    The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since this has gone unanswered all day, I thought I would take a shot at it.
    As an enthusiast detailer, I seem to have no problem using the same pad for the entire vehicle. As you mentioned, different pad for each product. One for swirl remover, one for polish/cleaner, one for wax/sealant. Actually, I think I could do several vehicles with the same set of pads. I do use Meguiar`s pads, but I doubt if that makes any difference.
    If you are having product buildup, possibly you are using more product than necessary. :dunno

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Charles ... I usually can do a vehicle with one pad. I have found that if I use to much product (especially Meg`s #9) things tend to get gummy.
    Also, I have washed my pads after each use and I have just let the product dry and then put it on my rotary ... I then work from the center out with a soft tooth brush to clean out the pad.
    I personally haven`t seen any difference in performance from either cleaning method.
    I still will only use one product (or similar product) per Pad ... even after cleaned.
    Note: I do not get good results with the toothbrush and trying to spin the pad on the PC.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t noticed any gumming yet. And so far I`ve only done one car in any given day. Just getting started. So it`s good to know that a pad can be used on multiple vehicles. I do wash after every use and let them air dry. I read some where maybe autopia to use Laundry soap and let the pads soaks for 5-10 minutes in warm water and then kneed the pads to remove excess product. Rinse with warm water and roll the pad up like a buritto to wring out excess water and product ...let air dry.

I`ve been following the instructions from the PC article that was posted and also on several web links that were posted here.

Anyone else have anything to add??????

Post Thanks / Like
    I just re-read my post and it sounds confusing ...
    Instead of washing .. I have let the pads dry with product on them ...
    Later I will put them on the rotary and use the tooth brush ...
    Sorry ... Sometimes my fingers get ahead of my brain ... and I am a terrible typer.

Post Thanks / Like
    The laundry soap method works pretty well and breaks down the product, but not the foam as far as I can tell. The key is let them air dry.

I know what you mean about the typing and the brain. The fingers are always a few words behind the ol` thought processor. When I read some of these posts I think "Wht teh F did he say" and those are my own. I`ve started re-reading before submitting my replies. Starting with this one. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    I use one pad for the whole truck. I then hand wash it in the sink with Dawn, rinse REAL good and let it air dry or spin it dry if I need it dry soon.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I follow JimS method.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a comment on washing pads.
    Several people have had problems with the velcro backing coming loose from the pad after washing. The first reports I read were Meguiar`s pads, but I have since read that other manufactirers have had this problem as well.
    1] I use Meg`s pads
    2] I wash them after each use
    3] I have never had a problem with the velcro backing and some of my Megs` pads are 16 months old
    4] I don`t use hot water, I use warm water
    5] I don`t twist or distort the velcro baking any more then I have to
    6] When washing them in my warm water and Dawn solution, I apply pressure to the pad against the bottom of the sink to create the agitation required
    7] The same motion is used to rinse and to remove the excess water when finished
    8] They are then air dried

FWIW, I`m pretty sure that Meguiar`s really doesn`t recommend washing the foam pads. Just brush off the dried product and use them again.:dunno

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Charles,
    Meguiars is where I got the idea to put the dried pads on my rotary and remove the dried product with a tooth brush.
    If I wash them though I use the same method that you do.
    I sit the wet pads velcro down on top of a soda can and lay a paper towel on the top to keep off any loose dirt while they are drying.
    Didn`t mean to change the topic of this post ... Sorry

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CharlesW

FWIW, I`m pretty sure that Meguiar`s really doesn`t recommend washing the foam pads. Just brush off the dried product and use them again.:dunno

Charles [/B]

Hmmmmmm. I kinda like that idea. Just take a marker and label the pad...PP or PWP or EX, etc. Hmmmmm. I`m not lazy I just like to "conserve" energy :-p
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just one more suggestion. There is no need to use hot or even warm water. Just mild soap like car wash soap (no solvants) and wash by hand. Immediatly squeeze dry. Do not let them sit wet for any lenght of time! This only helps to break down both the foam and glue. If you follow these instructions you will wear the pad out before the backing ever comes loose.

Thanks for trying the Edge pads, and you can also find lots of useful information on The Edge Pads on our website www.edgepads.com

Aaron

Post Thanks / Like
    Aaron,
    What is your suggestion ... do you wash or remove product after dry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Always wash! Chemical left in foam will degrade the foam, Its proven! It only takes a minute to wash out a pad. I am not saying you cannot use one pad for one chemical but cirtainly clean that pad out of the old compound, polish, and foreign debris that cirtainly accumulate in the pad during use. Remember that you are basically removing a microscopic amouts of paint, and you don`t want that paint staying in the pad abrading the next finish you work on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all fo rthe input, and to Aaron our resident Edge Pad rep. This has been helpful and I hope everyone has found this information to be some of the best about using foam pads.

KimWallace- I don`t feel you changed the subject at all. It has all been very valuable and stayed on track with using and mainting foam pads. A topic everyone needs to more information on especially those of us who have just purchased new ones. They don`t really come with a good set of instructions outlining how to use them to detail.

ONE-MORE-Question...This one is one I struggle with as well.
    What speed(s) should be used with what pad?
    Does it depend on the product? Polish and a white pad at speed 3/4 on a PC 7424? This is what I guess I`m looking for next. What are the operating speeds and when should you increase or decrease the speed?
    Hopefully this makes sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information