Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the proper way of adding poorboy`s trim restorer?

hey ranney, and anyone else that knows, what do you recommend on applying the poorboy`s trim restorer to the small parts of the car? i think i did it sorta wrong, because it was getting really messy, and it was getting really late, so i colund really see. anyways, heres a close up picture of what my mom`s trim looks like. its pretty bad... (and i was just having fun with my new digital camera)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The best comment of my life.......

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

Post Thanks / Like
    it`s smooth, so a bit tougher. I take a small painters foam brush, apply, let sit for a bit, then go back with a MF and buff. Comes out good for me. Try it again and let us know.
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi zesty-man,

Hmmmm...I would recommend using a foam applicator pad to apply the Trim Restorer. By the condition of the trim on the car, it might take a few applications to allow the Trim Restorer to penetrate the trim. Also by the looks of the trim, there seems to be a white film or old wax on it. On the first application, you might want to scrub the trim lightly first with the trim restorer. Then with the next application of trim restorer let it sit on the trim for 5 to 10 min then buff off.

With Aloha,
    Ranney

Post Thanks / Like
    ah, thats what i was afriad of. foam applicators pads, i ruined two pads already, luckily they were cheap meguarie ones. heres a couple pics of what they looked like after i tried using them. keep in mind, i did about 5 inches, and it turned out like this

also, how do you "aim" your application when putting it on a foam pad? i constantly had problems with that, beause i kept putting the trim restorer onto the car`s paint. it sorta makes it hard that the trim restorer is so watery. the first time i tried it, i was careful enough, and it got on my hand, and now my fingertips feel smooth. anyways, heres what the applicators looked like after about 5 seconds of use on that beaten trim.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I have the solution for you newagain@ec.rr.com

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you have to thoroughly clean that rubber first....you should not be getting that much color off if it was clean....take an APC (all purpose cleaner) or Bold N Bright and scrub the trim well, then wipe off with a cotton towel....that surface is smooth from what I can see ...repeat that process until it gets real clean and shiny....

I also believe that Trim Restorer is not the product to be used there...it`s meant for grainy trim...
    when applying TR,(shake well), use a cheap foam paint brush, you can usually find them in a dollar store or an arts and crafts store, or a Walmart(paint dept) and use a couple DROPS on the tip and paint the trim, spreading it evenly.

good luck and tell us what happens
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm, scrub hard first with the all purpose cleaner...... actually, i do have the bold n bright, but isnt that for the wheels (i hope your trying to make a joke). anyways, ill try that this weekend to see how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    hmm... what products are meant for smooth trim like that? Most if not all of the trim products out there are meant for grainy trim.

Post Thanks / Like
    thats a really good question..., can someone answer that one for me?

Post Thanks / Like
    PB`s Natural Look is meant for smooth trim if I remember correctly. I know there are others as well but NL is the only one I have used - 303 maybe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Meguiars Trim Restorer

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    303 on smooth trim worked ok for me...lasted longer than TR
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    Products for painted finishes will sometimes work better on smooth trim. I`ve used the following with good results: Clearkote Vanilla Moose, Poorboy`s Polish with Carnauba, Poorboy`s Professional Polish, Klasse All In One.

For textured trim, I prefer to use Poorboy`s Trim Restorer.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes hard rubber mouldings can be best treated by cleaning thoroughly...Bold N Bright is stronger than Natural Look and will clean deeper while leaving protection. Many times a good chemical cleaner, like the ones stated above by awd330, will clean and bring back the smooth rubber pieces as long as they are not showing signs of drying up and cracking. If they are drying up and cracking there is little anyone can do but try very short term solutions.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Klasse AIO for hard plastics/rubber and it usually restores the trim. Put a small amount on a foam applicator pad and buff it until its clean smooth and black. You wont have to worry about getting it on the paint either.
    Ringo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information