Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Question What to use under UPP?

I have some UPP on the way, and was trying to clear up some confusion about what I can and cannot use under it.

I was hoping to use my P21s GEPC after washing and as a cleanser step before applying 2 or 3 coats of UPP. The paint is fairly new (2003 model year) so it really doesn`t need a ton of help.

Will the GEPC under the UPP not work? ie, will the UPP not bond to the GEPC?

And after layering the UPP on, I can top it with carnuba, right?

thanks.

lucky

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    UPP is a very versatile product.

GEPC should not have any problems under UPP, and yes, you can top it with jsut about anything.

I have seen Trade Secret, P21S, and Souveran over UPP. P21S is of course the clear choice (no pun intended) for a darker color, but Souveran seems to do better on lighter cars.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Upp and #81 Hand Polish Work Just Fine

Post Thanks / Like
    ray, your link didn`t work for me...care to sum up?

Lucky

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Upp and #81 Hand Polish Work Just Fine

Based on Ray`s (and Mike Phillips and 2hotford`s) recommendation I would give Meg`s Hand Polish a try. Also PB Pro Polish and the crowd favorite, Klasse AIO come to mind.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to try all those...

but it doesn`t get to my question, which was:

is it possible to use P21s GEPC under UPP...

I am really working with what I have on hand, and don`t have time right now to buy more products before I need to use them...

so based on that...am I safe? Will it `crosslink` or will the GEPC get in the way.

thanks

Lucky

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Tassadar
    UPP is a very versatile product.

GEPC should not have any problems under UPP, and yes, you can top it with jsut about anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    My initial reaction would be not to use P21s GEPC under UPP. GEPC seems to me that it is more of a very light duty SMR/oily glaze than it is a paint cleaner. In my experience GEPC leaves a bit of petroleum distillate sheen behind.

One way to know for sure is to just try it. You should get a minimum 8 weeks of beading on the UPP and the surface shold be slick after washes even weeks after initial application. If not, then I would guess the GEPC interfered.

Maybe Dwayne can help out with this one?

Natty
    Natty

Post Thanks / Like

Natty - Dwayne agrees...

Sorry Tass...

Dwayne noted that GEPC does leave a film, thus making it less than desirable as a bonding agent for UPP...I have decided not to chance it, and since the layers of UPP will be done on my beach holiday, I have the time to experiment. Although I have to say, I did not notice any oilyness when I used GEPC in the past.

therefore, my process will probably be Wash, GEPC, wash (I would insert a clay here and instead of the GEPC + Wash if I can find it ahead of my trip), and then layer on the UPP topped with P21s Carnuba.

thanks, all

Lucky

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bleh, I was just replying.

I am sitting at job where I man a desk, occasionally answer a phone, and relay information to someone 10 ft away. Its boring as heck, but no different from being at home, oh except for the fact that I am getting paid $6 an hour. Not as much as detailing, but hey, its $$$.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why doesn`t everyone fill out their profile so people can tell where you are located???

Lucky:
    I don`t know where you are located, but...., rather than have your UPP experience be other than what it could be, I could send you enough AIO to use under the UPP.
    FWIW, AIO is what I think you should be using for your polish under anything. Sealant or wax.
    PM me if your time schedule would let it arrive soon enough to do you any good.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotta Love AIO they should redesign SG to make it so its a little more easier to use like EX or atleast I hear havent tried it myself yet.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Natty - Dwayne agrees...

Originally posted by Lucky
    Sorry Tass...

Dwayne noted that GEPC does leave a film, thus making it less than desirable as a bonding agent for UPP...I have decided not to chance it, and since the layers of UPP will be done on my beach holiday, I have the time to experiment. Although I have to say, I did not notice any oilyness when I used GEPC in the past.

therefore, my process will probably be Wash, GEPC, wash (I would insert a clay here and instead of the GEPC + Wash if I can find it ahead of my trip), and then layer on the UPP topped with P21s Carnuba.

thanks, all

Lucky
    Great to be able to speak to guys like Dwayne and Poorboy. Who else knows their products better and how best to use them!

FWIW...why not clay after your first wash and before the GEPC? The GEPC removal will be easier after a clay as there will be no paint gnarlys for the residue to catch on. Just my observation.

Kudos to CharlesW....heck of an offer there Charles.

Natty
    Natty

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Natty, you ever going to get around to sending me that extra product of yours?

Post Thanks / Like
    At the first chance I get. A little thing called work always seems to interfere with my free time.

Seriously Tass, If I can`t get to the P.O. tomorrow I`ll just give it to the wife to drop off.

Natty
    Natty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information