Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Trim Degradation

I have noticed (now and in years past) that dressing trim seems to cause a degraded look to the trim when NOT dressed. For example, I have some black plastic mud guards on my truck. Had them for three years now and recently I noticed that the finish was looking just a bit dull compared to other black trim on the truck. So, I sought out info on the forum here and ordered some BoldnBrite. I put some on the mud guards and it brought out the color I was looking for. Well, I ran out of my BoldnBrite (actually I diluted the few ounces I had left with some water to try a satin finish on a dash) and just left the mud guards to dry after washing. They now look even worse UNDRESSED than before. I`ve only been dressing them for 4-5 weeks. It`s like my trim has become dependent on the dressing.

What gives?
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting that I have found over many years different plastics seem to fade at different rates and sometimes a good scubbing with an APC will bring them back. Then sometimes it seems not to do anything but get more dull....I think it`s in the material itself.....some plastics must be dyed better than others....

only comparison I can think of is when we were shopping for a leather couch...this was before the twins...lol, and they showed us that some hides were dyed right through the material and if it got scuffed or scratched we would see color...but the cheaper couches had dye only on the surface and the rest was hide...

so what`s my answer...i don`t really know
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good analogy. This is something i also have noticed as well as done myslef. Many plasic parts on vehicles. Especialy american cars. Are died or even painted black after being molded in a primer grey color. Most euro cars have black pieces that are black through and through. Your best bet is to keep em dressed or to get some nice plastic die or even some satin black spray paint.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like
    maybe your just used to the nice deep black look and now that its not dressed it doesnt seem right?

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try picking up some Forever Black from Dwayne. Seems to be the best thing to restore a good black look short of paint itself. if you do use it, please tell us (or atleast me) how it turns out. Forever Black has been something I have seriously given thought to investing in.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    303 Works good on the not so severe stuff.
    www.exotiXboard.com

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Tassadar
    Try picking up some Forever Black from Dwayne. Seems to be the best thing to restore a good black look short of paint itself. if you do use it, please tell us (or atleast me) how it turns out. Forever Black has been something I have seriously given thought to investing in.
    It is what it says. FOREVER black. Unless you use some laquer thinner. Only thing is the forever is only for the product not the trim. Just as was stated earlier trim paint and die can and will fade over time. Forever black is simply a trim die. Forever black lasts longer than any dressing though.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like
    Im guessing it doesnt run off greasy after it rains or other. ?

Would 2 coats make it last longer. ?
    www.exotiXboard.com

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once it`s dry it will not run. I don`t know how much multiple aplications would help. The reason plasitcs that are just died after being moleded fade is that plastic is not very absorbant. Most of the die just sits on top. Multiple aplications MIGHT help get more to soak into the plastic but I`ve never tried.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like
    What about Back to Black from Mothers?

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I highly do not sudgest Back to Black. Its an absolute PITA to work with, and I usually end up spending a good hour getting rid of smearing.

Responding to Koop here:

I would rather have the dyed paint. On my car, all of the parts are a yelow resin base. So when the trim fades, it shows yellow. Right now I have a small spot on the rear bumped thats going to need some dye sooner or later.

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Tassadar
    I highly do not sudgest Back to Black. Its an absolute PITA to work with, and I usually end up spending a good hour getting rid of smearing.

Responding to Koop here:

I would rather have the dyed paint. On my car, all of the parts are a yelow resin base. So when the trim fades, it shows yellow. Right now I have a small spot on the rear bumped thats going to need some dye sooner or later.
    I thought you had a mustang They never came with plastic bumpers.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Back to Black, I think it has great results, but you need to be careful because it does smear other thigns easily.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh boy do they ever. The rear and front bumpers are definately plastic or similar. They both have a yellow resin base, and before I got some paint problems fixed, it was downright ungodly.

I need to get some sections truely repainted, infact, I need every body panel replaced, and a full paint job. Too bad that its basically impossible to find a place that will do a baked on paintjob.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    That smearing Godfather, is why I hate it. Its so easy to smear it, that its almost not worth it. Plus after heavy buffing, it barely looks like you have even dressed it. Im probably going to sitck to PB Trim Restorer from now on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information