Post Thanks / Like

Cool Like A Virgin II

Yep, another Newbie!
    I decided to register to see all the good pix, and, of course, to ask questions. First, let me explain the title: My family fleet has included at least two cars for over 30 years, and I`m just now on my second can of Turtlewax. `Nuff said?
    Last year my 2 sons left for college, and the OL insisted on each having a reliable (read: late model) car. One day, I noticed that everybody had a better ride than the old man! I decided to rectify this injustice by ordering an Infiniti, black on black.:jump
    Now, this will be a car worth babying, and I plan to keep it nice. When it comes in, I plan to give it a handwash, followed by a sealant and a finishing wax. So, the $64 question is, what products to use. I would like a deep, old-fashioned mirror shine.
    Intended use will be 40 miles weekly highway, 10 miles local, and maybe 3-4 trips of 200 roundtrip miles or so per year. Biggest problems here are UV, atmospheric pollution, and bugs. I am hoping to get by with a weekly handwash and a wax every 3 months or so. Will this maintain a good shine, or am I dreaming?
    As always, DC rules!
    :mohawk
    Make mine DC!

Post Thanks / Like
    Stick,

Stick with Klasse AIO and UPP and the bugs will come off nice and easy during the weekly washes. Use 303 protectant on the inside to protect from UV.

Klasse AIo - Klasse All-In-One
    UPP - Ultimate Paint Protection

These are opinions, having said that, use what you are happy with and will use often, that is the best way to ensure continued results.

-Matt
    ------------------------------------------
    Matt - A part timer!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    If its a 3 month full detail, get a sealant for sure. I would recommend on a slight clay duty (claymagic bar). If you want a deep and darker black, try Meguiars NXT Wax (:wait no I don`t think its an insanely good product, but its cheap, local, and gives some nice results) Make sure to prep!

Hope I could help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great! Thanks for the comebacks. Having seen Ray Jicka`s results with NXT on his black SUV, I was about convinced that this would be my first try. I believe I saw it yesterday at the local Walmart. I am still reading up about the various sealants, however, to see which looks most likely. My guess is that the sealant is the key to overall durability.
    Now, I have a thought for a new thread.....doesn`t it make sense that you would want to use the carwash product from the same manufacturer as the topcoat? After all, you wouldn`t sell a carwash that would eat your own wax, would you?
    Make mine DC!

Post Thanks / Like
    Stick - I have a 1992 G20 with 150K on it. Doesn`t use a drop of fluid of any kind! (Except gas.) Also new to this detailing game, I detailed it this weekend and other than dozen or so stone nicks that need touch up, it looks great. It produced a pretty good shine even after 8 years of nothing but drive through car washes (discount priced with fill-up!) I wonder what it would look like if I kept it clean all along the way ...
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Thread Information