Post Thanks / Like

Just a clarification on ProPolish

Just making sure I`m clear on ProPolish:

I do know its a polish that cleans the surface, but does it have abrasives? Will it cut ANY? Or is it just to clean and contaminants from the surface?

Can you use it for trims to clean?
    Does it have Carnauba? If so, why?

Maybe I`m having a brain lapse, but I totally forgot what other processes I would use ProPolish :beat

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used it and it is a true polish. It doesn`t cut in the sense that DACP cuts. It adds gloss to the surface by burnishing with very fine abrasives. On my Jetta, with a relatively soft clearcoat, PP will remove minor surface marring. Remember, many products are designed for multitasking - polish/cleaner, polish/compound, etc. PP is polish/period. It can be used to clean paint in very good condition, but it is really a finishing polish to be used as the step before waxing.

Post Thanks / Like

Pro Polish

is non abraisive AFAIK (PB can confirm) - it is a solvent based polish and any fine scratches it removes would be due to the pad/product combo - it leave nothing but a totally clean and polished finish.

(woob I have some if you want to borrow it
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    What is AFAIK? Cool to hear, however why do some ppl recommend using it before SSRs? I can see after, as it will clean and prepare the surface for EX or a topper.

groe I got tons of products, but haven`t experimented much! hopefully weather will hold and I will use em all. I do need some teaching on application. Are you free next week? Spring break is great! :bye

Post Thanks / Like

PP

PP before SSR will give the a clean product free surface - so the SSR will do it`s job (As F As I Know)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey woob I might be free next saturday - weekdays I work till 6 ish

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm. Maybe we should call out zymolkk? He`s around. I think there are a few others around, but not as nutty as some of us. Actually, any DC member is nutty!

I will PM. :cool

Post Thanks / Like
    heh I know he lives near me (well other side o durham) - - a lil DC mini meet !

Boss_429
    I believe that PP does have some "micro abrasives" in the polish............. Steve can clarify.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pro Polish does not contain carnauba or fillers, but it does have some abrasives. You can control the amount of "cut" via your choice of applicators. Using a foam pad or microfiber will cause the PP to function like a mild polish. Switch to a cotton terry applicator or a smooth cotton towel and the PP becomes much more aggressive. I have personally seen Steve remove all traces of a 4 inch longer scratch, easily felt with a fingernail, with just Pro Polish and a cotton towel. I would never have considered using PP for that purpose, but it really worked.

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by awd330
    I have personally seen Steve remove all traces of a 4 inch longer scratch, easily felt with a fingernail, with just Pro Polish and a cotton towel. I would never have considered using PP for that purpose, but it really worked.
    WOW! I`d have trouble removing that with a pc and ssr2:bigscream

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by wifehatescar
    WOW! I`d have trouble removing that with a pc and ssr2:bigscream
    It was really amazing. I just stood there gawking at the panel, and I kept running my fingers over the spot to make sure the scratch wasn`t just covered up somehow. That took place months ago, and the scratch hasn`t reappeared.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by awd330
    I have personally seen Steve remove all traces of a 4 inch longer scratch, easily felt with a fingernail, with just Pro Polish and a cotton towel. I would never have considered using PP for that purpose, but it really worked.
    Most normal humans can`t do that. I`ve heard that his old nickname in the body shop was "Popeye".... forearms like tree stumps! Heard he could rub a hole in a door skin in under 2 minutes using plain water and a piece of cotton.
    :headbang :bigscream
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    How come if I leave it out the milky solution seperates from the clear solution? I will have to limit the PP ALOT if it can do those wonders!

Boss_429
    Woob,

You shouldn`t be surprised at that.............................. Think about this for a minute: If you were trying to sand a 16th of an inch off a piece of wood with "super fine" sandpaper, could you do it? Sure could, but it would take a long, long time, a lot of "elbow grease", and a lot of sandpaper. A medium, or heavy grit sandpaper would get the job done a lot sooner.

Well, it`s no different with a polish. If the polish has abrasives in it................ it will remove paint. If the abrasives are extremely fine, it will take more work, a lot more product, and a longer period of time to remove the paint. If the paint is "hard" paint it would seem like an eternity.............. but it would remove it eventually.

Does that mean one should take that route............. NOPE! (unless one is planning on joining the Olympics team)

To be honest, I`ve heard peope say that "Product X" didn`t remove my swirls...................... IMHO, what they meant to say was.......... Product X doesn`t didn`t remove my swirls easily, or as easily as they think it should.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Thread Information