Post Thanks / Like

Different way to quotes jobs??

Please give me your thoughts on this idea of a way to charge customers. Let`s say you charge $70 for an interior detail which consists of the following:
    Vac seats,floor, headliner,visors trunk
    clean and UV protect rubber seals, vinyl, leather, plastic
    all interior glass
    spot treat stains
    clean and polish door jambs
    lubricate door hinges
    fragrance

Now the client knows what the least amount is going to be(in this example, $70). After looking over the vehicle you determine that it is going to take you longer due to it being somewhat dirtier than a normal $70 job, do any of you say to them"Well sir at the most it will be $xxx"($100?)?
    I was just thinking that this way he knows what the least and the most he`s going to be charged without locking yourself into a set price where it`s possible that you might end up losing money due to it taking a lot longer than a $70 job.
    Obviously you point out the reasons why the price might fluctuate and of course you would be honest about the time and effort it took to complete the job.
    I really am curious if anyone else quotes in this manner.
    It sounds like it might work towards everyone`s benefit(especially mine)
    I got burned today. Ford winstar-6.5 hours- $80. No tip :angry
    This got me thinking on quoting jobs a little differently.
    Thanks everyone

--
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`m just starting out on my business right now and this is what I`m doing.

When I first talk to a customer over the phone or in person (without seeing the vehicle), I say that I charge based on the size and condition of the vehicle, and that the average cost is $X.

Then when I see the vehicle, I will add a bit if its extra dirty, or a larger vehicle, or I will take a bit off the price if it will go really quickly.

I do make sure that a final price is agreed upon before I start working though.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I`m talking to the customer over the phone I ask a few questions and then give a range of (in my case) $150.00 to $200.00 depending on the condition of the car. I have learned that you can hang yourself quoting site unseen.

When I see the car I then go over it and tell the customer, just what the real cost is.

TREESTAND
    Is right do not start or do any work until you have agreed on the price.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Before you decide on what price to charge for your services, you’ll want to have a better understanding of how your customers will measure the value of your service. When you provide your services at the customers’ location, you provide a value by saving them time. Time that would have been wasted if they had to take their car to a detail shop. You allow them the freedom to go about their daily routine at their own home. You are providing a convenient, valuable, time saving service. When your customers measure value, they’re looking at the entire experience. Of course they want a good quality job, but they’re also interested in other things such as; ease of making an appointment, whether or not you arrive “on-time” and finish “on-time”, friendly yet professional explanation of services, etc. These are all factor that play a part in how a customer will measure the value of your service. In most cases, a good customer is one that is interested in a high level of quality, not necessarily a low price. One that will understand the value of your service. Maintain a high level of quality and you’ll be able to charge a profitable price for your services. Lower your prices and you’ll begin to lower your standards. Not a good thing! It`s always a good idea to provide your customers with a level of quality that they will not normally get from other detailing businesses.

As far as different ways to quotes jobs; you could always just quote your highest price and work down. That`s how I do it. I always start out with my List Price, which is $225 for a mid-size car. Once I either see the vehicle or have a good understanding of its age and condition I sometimes decide to offer a Discounted Price.

Another factor to consider is the size of the vehicle. A small compact car usually takes about one half hour less time to detail than a mid-size car. A full-size luxury car usually takes about one half hour more time to detail than a mid-size car. From a marketing standpoint it’s important to let your customers see that your prices reflect the amount of time that you need to spend on a particular size vehicle. The owner of a small compact car will appreciate the lower price. While the owner of a full-size luxury car will understand the higher price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank- thanks buddy. You get $225 to detail a midsize interior? That`s great money! What does that include and how long does it take you?
    Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, I only offer one complete detailing package which includes the interior and exterior. The $225 is for a complete detailing of a mid-size car which takes about four hrs to detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank- Maybe I misunderstood, but you said you start with a price of $225 and then if you think you should change the price you work down (but never up). Then you said owners of full-sized luxury cars understand if you charge more. How do they know you`re charging more if they pay listed $225?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tom4444
    Frank- Maybe I misunderstood, but you said you start with a price of $225 and then if you think you should change the price you work down (but never up). Then you said owners of full-sized luxury cars understand if you charge more. How do they know you`re charging more if they pay listed $225?
    I think he was referring to the $225 for midsize car. I would imagine he has a set price for different size vehicles.
    But I could be wrong `cause I ain`t Frank :wha

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes the $225 is the List Price for a complete detailing of a mid-size car. These are my List Prices as they are based on the size of the vehicle.
    $205... Compact Car
    $225... Mid-Size Car
    $245... Full-Size Car

$225... Compact SUV
    $245... Mid-Size SUV
    $265... Full-Size SUV
    ---------------------------

Examples of using a lower Discount Price:

1- If a customer has a mid-size car that`s either in very good condition or less than a year old, I may offer them a Discount Price of $195. That way they`ll save $30 and I`ll have an easy job(less time) and still end up making about the same hourly rate I would normally make doing an average car.

2- If a customer makes an appointment to have two cars detailed, I may offer them a multi-car Discount Price of either $205 or $215. That way they end up saving some money and I get to detail two cars.

It is my feeling that it is always better to work the price downward from a List Price to a Discount Price, rather than using the strategy of setting a low price and then going higher when it`s more work. Hey, nobody likes paying more, regardless of what price you charge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the clarification.

Thread Information