Post Thanks / Like

New to detailing, chemical health question!

Hello,

I just got a summer job detailing the interior of cars at a local detailing shop. During work today I noticed that the fumes in the shop got pretty strong. I was just wondering if there are any health effects when working around all these chemicals in a shop, can they cause any long term health problems. The main chemical I work with is just a vinyl/leather dressing although there is a lot of other stuff floating around the shop. Thank you in advance and sorry if this is a stupid question!

Markabcasn

Post Thanks / Like
    get the MSDS sheets for the products that are being used and see what they say and protect yourself accordingly. ive used some water based dressings that iritate my eyes and ive switched to another one
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like
    get the MSDS sheets for the products that are being used and see what they say and protect yourself accordingly. ive used some water based dressings that iritate my eyes and ive switched to another one
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like
    You can always use a mask while doing the cars. I would do what bigron is saying look at what the manufacture is saying about proteting yourself.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting question...I`d make sure the shop is well ventilated as lots of fume is petroleum based. But I think manufacturers are suppose to follow the newer air quality standard so the products are not suppose to release too much VOC (volatile organic chemicals) into air.

I`ve always wondered about this... If the polish is strong enough to remove grimes and tars (for example Klasse AIO), would that be too harsh for our skin since we don`t wear gloves when we detail cars?
    swirl marks = enemy

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the detail shop do paint work without a booth? I know alot of shops that do. Just a suspicion because I don`t know of many detailing products that are fumy in nature. Maybe a few solvents, but they are typically used sparingly.
    I`ve been busy but I`ll try to make some time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just as an aside, if you wear contacts it may be better to wear glasses. Not only will they offer a little splash protection (very little), but more importantly some of the polymers in contacts can absorb the chemicals/fumes and cause longer lasting irritations or injury.

Thread Information