Post Thanks / Like

Not so good at detailing...need some help

Ok, i have a problem with swirls on truck (its black). the truck never really had any swirls in i first bought it used but recently it has been swirling pretty bad.i have changed my washing habbits hoping that is the problem, but first i need to get rid of the swirls. I have tried meguiars swirl remover and then a profesional swirl remover from a local detail shop. Both products reduce it, but you can still see the swirls pretty bad in sun light. I Have a porter cable da polisher and i think i need to try the DACP. Im only concerned about using the DACP because im afraid of going through the paint, will the dacp do that? I was also told that after i use the dacp to use a swirl remover, then a glaze, and then a finishing wax. Then they told me after i get it to where i want to use a non abrasive wax with a hard shell to prevent the swirls from coming back. Im planning on buying the DACP tommorow along with a non abresavie hard shell wax. so any tips would be appreciated

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome
    Black is a swirl magnet
    I use DACP to get rid of my swirls, I use it with a Rotary, Makita. I use a cutting pad.

I am testing Poorboy swirl remover products now...

If they are really bad, i will need to do a few pass`s because I don;t want to burn threw the paint.
    Technique, right products and tools can fix swirls.

Do you have any pictures??
    jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to DC and the wonderfull world of black cars. For swirls on black its a way of life, but you can reduce them down with your PC.

I`d start with claying the truck after the wash using QD spray. Then get some Poorboys SSR2 and use your PC with a cutting pad. Then go to PB Polish with carnuba using the PC and a polishing pad. This should pull most of the swirls, if you want to get rid of them all you will need a rotary.
    After this you can use a glaze that will fill in most of the swirls that are remaining. Then I`d either go to a good paste wax or a sealant . The sealant will give you added protection if you choose this route, then let it set up for 24 hours before you apply wax or another coat.
    Hope this helps!
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Mod Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    DACP and the PC great combo.. I just used this combo today and successfully removed rubbing compound swirls. Nice thing about it was the PC with polish pas and DACP didn`t micromarr any other areas of the panel. Just for good measure I followed with #9.

Start less aggressive then move up. It might take the polish pad and dacp 2-3 passes to get the desired results. I work the polsih in unitl it the haze is gone and produces a shine on the paint. I don`t work in past that. It should take 30-45 seconds with the PC for a 2X2 section.

You could try the cut pad, although I`ve read not to use cut pad with pc. It will cut quicker. You could then follow up with polish pad and dacp again.

I don`t think going through the paint is a big problem with the PC.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    well i just used the dacp today and it seems like i got all the swirls out. the only problem is the paste wax im using made the paint smudgey and is real tuff to get off. im gonna let the wax sit a little longer and i think it should come off fine. but so far it seems like the dacp did a awesome job, even though i probably should have gone over it one more time (i just got burnt out from doing it once)

Post Thanks / Like
    Well i used the dacp today, and let me tell you what a difference. the finish is so much better now. Here are some pics, i don`t have any before though, but it wasn`t that bad before

http://67.181.237.183/hosted/truck98...l/IMGP0124.JPG

http://67.181.237.183/hosted/truck98...l/IMGP0126.JPG

http://67.181.237.183/hosted/truck98...l/IMGP0128.JPG

http://67.181.237.183/hosted/truck98...l/IMGP0140.JPG

Mod Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great!

Post Thanks / Like
    sweeet job. the only problem is, those pics are SUPER SIZE!!!! how did the waxing go?
    The best comment of my life.......

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

Post Thanks / Like
    after i let it sit overnight and then took some clean diaper clothes it all come off easily

Thread Information