Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAD scratches

Post Thanks / Like

BAD scratches

today i was doing my aunty`s car, and i saw these really bad scratches on her hood. ive known theyve been there, but i didnt realzie how big one of them was. anyways, i think i made it a few months ago with a microfiber, before i started using ranney`s microfibers. whatever it is, it wont come fof the paint. i tried running it over with DACP, and SSR1 and nothing. anyways, heres a couple of pics. doesnt really show it that well, but what the heck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The best comment of my life.......

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

Post Thanks / Like
    heres another pic, it shows you how long the scratch actually is
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn`t look like the scratch is deep enough where your fingernails can feel it. If that is the case, the next step would be a rotary with a polishing pad first. And if that doesn`t do it then a cutting pad.

With Aloha,
    Ranney

I'm back YIPEE Refreshed! The Chee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn`t look like it`s from MF towel, as the scratch is too long.I don`t think you would wipe from the top of the hood all the way down . Do you use california water blade btw?
    A man has got to recognize his limitations, and then learn how to adapt within those confines. Then go out and conquer.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have some scratches like that on my hood. It was from me using terry towels and handwashing them when I was newb. I didn`t get all of the wax out, and it hardened and I marred up my hood. Mine are still there as well, I think they are too deep to go after. Maybe the towel picked up something. They look like they came from the towel because the scratches are curved in a hand motion way.
    "A car doesn`t have to be the fastest or most powerful to be the love of your life" -Temperacerguy

Post Thanks / Like
    I had some pretty bad scratches on my Honda (worse than yours). I had pretty good results with a PC and SSR3, followed by DACP, followed by SSR1. There were some areas that I could have skipped the SSR1 (I think) but, I got some pretty good results and my scratches were `way` deeper than yours.
    Cliff Claven is my hero
    2007 Silver Accord EX
    1999 Silver F-150 XLT

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm, at one point i did use terry towels, but i find it really awkard that its only in one specific place.

california water blade: dont use it.

as for the scratch itself, it isnt deep at all, in fact i thought it was just a surface scratch, or some kind mark or something. however, i found out otherwise, that it wouldnt come fof wtih DACP nor SSR2. im starting to think that it may actually be under the clearcoat, but im not totally sure. i just find it totally weird that after everything i try to do to it, it still has no effect.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had worse scratches that I`ve gotten out with a pc. I suggest using 3M Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound (Fine Cut) #39002. It can be used by hand or machine. Apply it with a Meguiar`s burgandy pad. Set your pc at 5 or 6 and hang on. Follow the 3M stuff with DACP on a polishing or cutting pad and you should have a pretty decent end result.

Tom :cool
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Glorified cleaning lady M23Accord's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tguil
    I`ve had worse scratches that I`ve gotten out with a pc. I suggest using 3M Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound (Fine Cut) #39002.
    Funny, I`ve never had good results with that 3M product. I feel it should be called Ultra Fine cut instead. :-p

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by M23Accord
    Funny, I`ve never had good results with that 3M product. I feel it should be called Ultra Fine cut instead. :-p
    I press down REAL HARD on my pc and think "big boy" words while I`m hanging on tight.

Tom:cool
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Polisher of Shiny Things
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tguil
    I`ve had worse scratches that I`ve gotten out with a pc. I suggest using 3M Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound (Fine Cut) #39002. It can be used by hand or machine. Apply it with a Meguiar`s burgandy pad. Set your pc at 5 or 6 and hang on. Follow the 3M stuff with DACP on a polishing or cutting pad and you should have a pretty decent end result.

Tom :cool

The 39002 is ok; it is a bit on the fine side for "compounding" though.

I`ve used it on minor surface scratches before, however, I would still suggest looking into 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound #05954.

It`s a bit more abrasive, and makes quick work of eliminating those scratches when used with a rotary.

I`m even using the #05954 right now to recondition some aluminum rims. Having awesome results thus far as well!
    83 SVT Cougar
    95 Tbird
    89 Saleen Mustang

Obsessed?

- Yeah, ain`t it cool!

Post Thanks / Like
    i dot have a rotary , only a PC.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Below Reality
    The 39002 is ok; it is a bit on the fine side for "compounding" though.

I`ve used it on minor surface scratches before, however, I would still suggest looking into 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound #05954.

It`s a bit more abrasive, and makes quick work of eliminating those scratches when used with a rotary.

I`m even using the #05954 right now to recondition some aluminum rims. Having awesome results thus far as well!

Be VERY careful if your going to use this stuff, its like liquid sand paper! You can actually see the grit in it. One my old Maxima I wiped through paint by only using it by hand! Only my 15 year old, very hard white Caddy paint can take a little bit of it without showing noticeable damage.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    errrr now youre scaring me. this paint is about almost a year old, because she got it repainted...

Post Thanks / Like
    I would stick with a regimen of several polishes using a PC and the appropriate pads in a situation like this. IMO Freedre`s suggestion is much safer.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information