Post Thanks / Like

3 Keys to detail biz success

Thought I`d start a thread to see what some of you thought were your 3 most important factors in succeeding with a professional detailing business. Here`s mine in order of importance.

1. Exposure...the more people who know about you and what you do, the better!! This means marketing, advertising, word of mouth, etc...

2. Professionalism...I think one of the biggest hurdles we must overcome is the publics preconception that we are just lowley car washers. I believe that a professional approach, in mannerisms (calling a customer Mr. or Mrs.), appearance (wear clean, neat clothes with my company name and logo on it) , and business transactions (appointment setting, confirmations, professional receipts, follow-up letters, etc) are what set me apart from others.

3. Raport building...Though we are detailers, we are also salespeople. The #1 rule in sales is that people will buy from people they like. So true! I do my best to establish a raport with people, if they have kids, ask how old and what their hobbies are. Two things people love talking about their kids and their work (if they like either that is). I have the gift of gab so its easy for me to strike up a conversation. A good raport can take you far with repeat services and referrals. You can do a great job with a detail and a customer will say "that detailer did a nice job" or have good raport and the customer will say "man, Bryan really knows what he`s doing, he did an awesome job!"

Ok, so these are mine. You`ll notice that I didn`t put quality of work in my top three, though very important, these three beat it out for the top spots. There are many pros and novices here, what would your top three success factors be?
    I`ve been busy but I`ll try to make some time.

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing that most businesses over look is customer service - businesses that go out of their way for me get lifetime customers - poor customer service will lose me quickly and I will tell everyone I know (equally great CS will get me talking all over town too - because it is rare). Case in point is Dwayne at PAC. He has gone above and beyond and If I can buy it at PAC I will..even if it is cheaper somewhere else. I would rather pay a little more knowing I will have great CS. That makes it 100% more of a value to me.
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Customer service is number one in my book! If I go somewhere and get crappy customer service I walk out. If I have to go down the road and pay 3 times the amount for good service I do. I am one of these business owners that call people back asap instead of getting to it when I feel like it.

I had this problem with two local shops a few months ago. I wanted springs for my car. I was going to go with one shop but he never got back with me, the second shop did the same thing, the third shop was a tad bit more but got back with me in 5 minutes so guess who I went with? Just be sure to treat your customers great and don`t leave them hanging on anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yah I am still waiting for my call back from Best Buy Customer Service that was supposed to be in 24-48 hours...that was last tuesday. You know how much money I spend at Best Buy??? a lot - not any more
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear that groebuck! It sucks!

My cousin always gets mad at me cause we will go eat and I expect to be greated and at least asked what I want to drink or that someone will be right with me. Not to long ago they sat us, walked away and made us wait while they took the two tables that came in after us order. I was not a happy camper to say the least. I guess I am weird like that. It was like the scene from "Resivoir Dogs" LOL and I was Mr. Pink.

I figure if I am giving you money and paying for product or services I want to be treated like it no matter what it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest part of success is exploiting and owning your target market. If you`re good at doing wholesale accounts with dealers or focusing on high end cars, then do it. I live in a rather poor county and those that have their cars detailed have expendable income. Someone here said give away a detail at a golf tourny, and that`s a great idea. We have a private golf course in the county where all the wealthy people go ($4k a year!), and my friend is a member so I have an in. These are the people who most likely not blink at a $175-200 detail given it`s a good job. Since they all socialize together, that one guy who got the freebie will tell his friends. Have a target market and focus on it, although not passing up any other oportunities that come your way. Don`t let your market go to you, you go to your market. Any chance you get to "whore" yourself in a social situation, do it. I went to my cousins sons bday party over the weekend and got 4 details and sold an Xpel kit. Don`t make it obvious, but if someone gives you a chance to bring up what you do, take advantage of it.

There is no price to quality. If there`s something out there that`s twice as expensive, but works better, I get it. Sure I can get volume detailing polish at $18/gal, but it won`t perform nearly was well or produce the results of say a Poorboys at $50/gal. Every Billy Buffer Jockey will try and get by with the cheapest of everything in the shortest amount of time. He may make some money for awhile, but it`s quality that sells in the long run. Never do a rush job.

Like Denver said, professionalism is very lacking in this field. This is still looked at as a lower class profession even though I know some people here make VERY good money. Most places have company clothes, but look is only part of it. BTW solid color Ralph Lauren polo shirts can had for $10 each at outlet stores, I`m getting some and having them embroidered...how many detailers show up in Ralph Lauren? The art of BSing with clients (don`t have customers have clients) is also important. I`ll spend about 15min or more talking to them after thier car is done. I`ve found the longer the time between BSing and when they pay me, the bigger the tip. I got a $30 tip last week and talked with the guy for about 30min. That`s $60/hr for talking. Always follow up with a post card/letter about a month later thanking them and send a Christmas card. Also be knowledgeable about the products you use and how you use them. Don`t be affraid to explain to people exactly what you`re doing to their car, they aren`t going to start a rival detail shop if they find out. If they have a question answer it. Sometimes the cars are $100k+ we`re working on and that`s their hard earned money, they have a right to know. Also respect the cars as much as the people.
    Last edited by shotime; 07-07-2004 at 06:02 PM.

Thread Information