Post Thanks / Like

I Now Cut The Paint Now What Should I Do...

I just finished cutting the paint on my car I only did the trunk, hood and roof becuase they were oxidized, the sides are perfect.

I used Rubbing Compound to cut the paint, right after I cut I immediately layed down 2 coats of Simoniz 100% pure Carneuba wax. The other day I went to Rondex and I showed the guy my car and he said it turned out beautiful and he showed me a product by Meguiars, it was the Meguiars Polymer Sealant, so I picked it up and then put down 2 coats of that.

Now I asked the guy at Rondex if I need to put another layer of wax over top of the sealant, he said no, but other people are saying I should.

I really want the car to stay shiny like it is right now, it does sit outside but rarely ever gets driven in rain and is always stored over winters.

What should I do, do I need another coat of wax on top of the sealant?

Also when I decide to wax my car again do I wax the cut area`s or do I just use polymer sealant for now on?

Mod Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sealant should last longer than the carnauba wax. Topping the sealant to me is a preference. Some like and some don`t.

Post Thanks / Like
    Generally you put the sealant down first topped by the carnauba.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I know, I didnt have the sealant with me when I cut the paint so I layed down wax to protect the paint for a bit till I get a sealant and yeah I got it the next day. it should be sealed right? even though I do have wax under the sealant?

BTW thanks for the fast replies guys I really appreciate it.

But I`d still like to know some of the answers to those questions:-p

Post Thanks / Like
    78-Caprice,
    Your on this site because your are obsessed about car care. Why layer products so much? What are you gonna do next month? Sealant is for people who only detail their cars one or two times a year. Two coats of wax is plenty to protect your car for a few months, even then you`re probably gonna end up stripping old wax during its next detail. If you like sealants, thats ok, just put it down before the wax. One coat a piece will do you great for 6 months.
    I`ve been busy but I`ll try to make some time.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s not a definite, but there is a good chance you have no sealant on there, as Meg`s, as well with plenty of other polymer sealants, have bonding issues with carnauba.

Do you think your finish was perfect or great after compounding? Most will usually step down from a compound to a polish to really bring out the shine. This might be a possibility on the next detail. From there, I would use the sealant, then the carnuba and maintain applying the carnauba on a monthly basis.
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by denverdetail
    78-Caprice,
    Your on this site because your are obsessed about car care. Why layer products so much? What are you gonna do next month? Sealant is for people who only detail their cars one or two times a year. Two coats of wax is plenty to protect your car for a few months, even then you`re probably gonna end up stripping old wax during its next detail. If you like sealants, thats ok, just put it down before the wax. One coat a piece will do you great for 6 months.
    WELL, I`ve had the car cut before by a "proffessional" and all he told me to do was wax it with carneuba when I got home I waxed it several times (3 times a month) and the very next day I got it back from the cutting I could already see the oxidation start on the paint.

SO... that`s why I`m gonna try a sealant this time, but I did lay down carneuba first then I used the Polymer Sealant.

So each time I wax the car again I should seal the parts where I cut the first time then lay down my wax?

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW my paint job is Acrylic Enamel not a Clear Coat paint job.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would use a glaze, top with the selant and then maybe a caot of wax.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I decided to do 1 coat of carnueba wax over the Meguiars Polymer sealant.

would the sealant still be under the coat of wax I just put down?

Thread Information