Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

Collinite #476s review

I just received the Collinite #476s that I ordered from www.thebestwax.com for $12.95 + $5.95 shipping via DHL. Product was received in 4 days & they included a MF towel & MF applicator.

You can get a better price at http://www.mactecllc.com/collinite.asp, I think the price is $14.50 & shipping is free. If they ship USPS Parcel Post or Media Mail (cheap) it could take 2 weeks to get it .... your choice.

The packaging is 100% old school; it`s a 4.25" OD metal tin holding 9oz & it closes like a paint can so caution is advised when opening or the wax could dry out due to a bent lid.

I had no trouble opening mine but a novice could easily go overboard with excessive effort & distort the lid. There`s a 3.125" opening to get at the wax so any of the popular applicators (MF, terry, or foam) will be a bit awkward `cause they cannot be completely inserted into the can.

Instructions are printed on the bottom of the can but I`ll get to that later.

My sense of smell left me years ago & no one else is around so who knows what it smells like. The wax is white & it`s hard .... I mean HARD. I tried pressing down in the middle & I hardly left a thumb print. Now I`ll have to decide if I want to use this stuff on the car or put a hole in the middle, insert a wick and use it for a candle.

No idea what the % of carnauba content is, Collinite did not respond to that question.

I rubbed my thumb around & it finally started to melt a bit after 5 seconds.

I`m still layering-up with FMJ for the winter so I only did half my spoiler with #476s, I did the other half with s100. Using a water-dampened MF applicator the #476s went on easy. The instructions say you should let it dry to a haze....don`t do it. If you do, you might need a belt sander to take it off.

On the advice of others, I did not test this so I left it on for about a minute (it`s only 58* today so drying is prolonged) & buffed it off with a dry MF towel. I did not notice any dust but a spoiler provides small surface area & is not really a good test for dussting.

I compared the #476s half to the s100 half & I don`t see much difference but my Accord Coupe is Satin Silver so a darker color may provide a better test. Also, I don`t have "golden eyes" when it comes to comparing products but IMHO I think it looks as good as s100.

Collinite claims #476s is detergent proof so only time will tell; I`ll post my thoughts in the spring. They have also said #476s can be layered, they recommend waiting an hour between layers.

Collinite CS & thebestwax.com both said that #476s is not a cleaner wax. It does contain petroleum distillates (the label states "Combustible mixture - keep away from fire or flame") but Collinite CS said the applicator used would have more effect on removing FMJ (in my case) than #476s.

I don`t know how I can tell if FMJ is still underneath the wax or not .... definite leap-of-faith in my book.

This wax is so hard I`d venture a guess that this could be considered a lifetime supply so a little does go a very long way.

Collinite #845 is a liquid version of #476s & is available off-the-shelf at some CarQuest shops but, according to Collinite CS, #476s last longer `cause it`s a paste.

Winter durability is what I`m looking for but I found posts at other BB`s where people use Collinite products exclusively all year long. For what it`s worth, one guy in Texas said #476s was the only wax he could keep on his truck that would last 3 months, all the other carnauba products he tried burned-off too quick in the heat.

For additional Collinite info, look at these threads:

http://www.detailcity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7504

http://www.detailcity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7416
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collinite #476s review

I just received the Collinite #476s that I ordered from www.thebestwax.com for $12.95 + $5.95 shipping via DHL. Product was received in 4 days & they included a MF towel & MF applicator.
    NYV6Coupe was the MF any good? If you paid 12.95 and got the MF towel and applicator for free then maybe it is a better deal then the price at mactecllc.com. I haven`t ordered yet, I was kind of waiting on you. What do you think about the free MF stuff as compared to free shipping?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

It must have been about 10 or 12 years ago that I tried a Collinite paste carnauba. Sounds like the same container and definitely sounds like the same removal problem I had. I used mine once and gave it away.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Iuse the #845 its a lot easier to work with.The only problem that I had with the above writeup is that they(mentallic) ships FEDEX ground which is 5 working days the most coast to coast and you can get a shipping number to follow your shipment

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah FEDEX Home Delivery. Took 1 week to get to my house from PA to NC, but I got Insulator Sample to which rocks! NO shipping number however

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OI812
    NYV6Coupe was the MF any good? If you paid 12.95 and got the MF towel and applicator for free then maybe it is a better deal then the price at mactecllc.com. I haven`t ordered yet, I was kind of waiting on you. What do you think about the free MF stuff as compared to free shipping?
    OI812: I have better MF towels & applicators so these are just average and, if I could do it over again, I`d probably go with free shipping. Costs less & delivery time is probably the same.

woob: thebestwax.com did provide me with a DHL tracking # & it was delivered on-time.

charles: removal is not a problem as long as you don`t let it dry. When I do the hood, I plan on dividing into quarters. Apply the to the first quarter & second quarter, then take off the first quarter. Apply the third quarter, then take off the second ....and so on. Not quite a WOWO approach but similar.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Thread Information