Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Glazes under UPP and EX

Seems a little talked about trend is to use a glaze prior to UPP or EX. I plan to try it on my silver truck and dark blue car in the next month or two (I have fresh coats of UPP and EX on them now). Many of you like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and I have read a few good comments about the ClearKote Vanilla Moose Wax Hand Glaze. To be honest, the Meguiars naming convention confuses me, so I have not taken the time to reveiw their products in depth, even though many of you like and use them regularly.

So, what`s your glaze of choice? And does it reduce the longevity of UPP or EX?
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve found using my Polish w/ Carnuba like a glaze works very well for hiding and protecting before EX...

instead of working it into a prepared surface...lay it out lightly like a glaze or wax and then let it haze and wipe away without intense buffing ...all by hand preferably...then by hand top it with EX for an outstanding shine
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glazes under UPP and EX

Originally posted by rtbrick
    Seems a little talked about trend is to use a glaze prior to UPP or EX. I plan to try it on my silver truck and dark blue car in the next month or two (I have fresh coats of UPP and EX on them now). Many of you like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and I have read a few good comments about the ClearKote Vanilla Moose Wax Hand Glaze. To be honest, the Meguiars naming convention confuses me, so I have not taken the time to reveiw their products in depth, even though many of you like and use them regularly.

So, what`s your glaze of choice? And does it reduce the longevity of UPP or EX?
    If you want to use a glaze prior to either UPP or EX I would suggest either 3M PI-III Machine Glaze or Meg`s Speed Glaze if you have any swirls or other light finish problems. I have used the 3M PI-III Machine Glaze under both EX and UPP and it does not hamper either product. The PI-III Machine Glaze doesn`t leave behind any residue (at least not enough to cause any problem with either product) and leaves a nice glossy, smooth finish. The Meg`s Speed Glaze contains what Meguiars calls a "paintable polymer" so I would guess UPP would adhere fine. I should qualify that by saying I haven`t personally tried that combo. Maybe someone else here can help out with that combo. The Speed Glaze will definetely not hamper EX`s capabilities.

If your finish is already spiffy with no real problem areas then I would most likely pick 3M PI-III Finishing Glaze. The PI-III Finishing Glaze is also supposed to contain a bit of polymer protection which should be a good foundation for either UPP or EX.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Leader of the Banned windsor the troll's Avatar
    I would have gotten away with it again if it wasn't for you meddling kids! ;)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think the carnuba under the sealant will allow the sealant to bond and perform properly.
    Please correct me if I am mistaken

Post Thanks / Like
    If I use a Glaze I put Wax (Souvran,S100, Blitz) on top of it....not a Polymer..
    I do like Meguiars Machine Glaze...
    jeff

Leader of the Banned windsor the troll's Avatar
    I would have gotten away with it again if it wasn't for you meddling kids! ;)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff,
    I think I will go with S100 wax instead of EX because of prep and bonding issues with sealants.
    Much easier IMO

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation UPP and Glaze

UPP works just fine when applied over Megs #81 Hand Polish - which is actually a glaze. According to Meguiars it is "paintable."

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=26882

Post Thanks / Like
    With EX, I have not had an issue with it bonding to most glazes. I have tried 3M IHG, PB polish w/carnauba, SSR2, and meg`s speed glaze.
    The UPP on the other hand seems to be a bit pickier. I usually stick to 3M IHG though I have had good luck with meg`s #5 and #9. With UPP I always use UPC after any glaze so that could be cleaning all the oils left behind by the glazes and allowing UPP to bond.

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by EBPcivicsi
    With EX, I have not had an issue with it bonding to most glazes. I have tried 3M IHG, PB polish w/carnauba, SSR2, and meg`s speed glaze.
    The UPP on the other hand seems to be a bit pickier. I usually stick to 3M IHG though I have had good luck with meg`s #5 and #9. With UPP I always use UPC after any glaze so that could be cleaning all the oils left behind by the glazes and allowing UPP to bond.
    Wouldn`t that sort of defeat the purpose of using the glaze . There are glazes that will work no problemo with UPP. The three I mentioned in my previous post come to mind.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve read hundreds of posts on many forums and have had no one have any bonding problems with EX...over and under so many different products that make my mind spin

So far to this day...the best picture..and mind you I think pictures are really only good for the guy who took them...(2 dimensional like tv infomercials) .....that Souvern over EX was the best I`ve seen in pictures, but then again only one person has seen my new paste wax over EX

Post Thanks / Like
    Glazes like #7 & IHG have alot of oils. It seems to me that these oils which is what gives them there impressive look would hamper the bonding of polymers. I prefer using Clearkote`s Vanilla Moose Wax Glaze under both UPP and EX, but one thing it has no fillers and the name like many products really doesn`t represent it perfectly. Vanilla Moose has a higher gloss than #7 & IHG and has some of that deep wet look that AIO doesn`t. I also like the VM because you can use it in direct sunlight and it`s easy to use. EX has a slightly oily look, but UPP lacks that, by using VM with UPP you can add some depth that AIO will not. But remember we are talking about high quality products which all work amazing and it becomes subjective upon the individual on what slighty different look you prefer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: i smell something !!!!

Originally posted by detaled by hans
    do you say new paste or pasta ...sometime u new yourkers talk funny????
    we don`t talk funny ...yu`all down south do...

you`ll just have to wait a few more weeks for details....

but what i can tell you...it will be a limited production and only sold through Dwayne ...here at premiumautocare.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NattyBumppo

Wouldn`t that sort of defeat the purpose of using the glaze . There are glazes that will work no problemo with UPP. The three I mentioned in my previous post come to mind.

Natty
    Natty, when working with UPP, I just like to make sure the surface is very clean. Is it overkill? Probably with some glazes, but with the meg`s glazes that I have on hand I feel the UPC is neccessary and does not take away from the look(plus it is so easy I don`t mind doing it). When I invest in some PI-III MG, I am sure I will skip the UPC.

Post Thanks / Like

Question NEW PASTE WAX?

Oh my! `NEW PASTE WAX?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes..and that`s all I`m saying other than it will only be available here....and it`s about 10oz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information