Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Car Detailing

I am getting a new Pathfinder, black. I know that it won`t be satisfactory when I get it from the dealer and wondered if since if using Meguires 3 step process would be too soon or should I just use the Gold class wax. I think I would do all the steps by hand since I do not have a buffer yet, or should I get one to ensure that the first time I clean it, in step 1, I get any over spray and debris off the paint that may have gotten on the paint from the fatory and during the transport process. I say Meguires because I already have those products on hand, but am open to anything that will yield good results.
    I also have a queston on terry towels. Would using fabric softener help when washing the towels to ensure that they don`t scratch the paint or is washing and drying sufficient? Also if I get new towels should I wash them first before I use them on the vehilce or can I start using them straight from the store, or at least run them through the dryer to avoid unecessary lint?
    R3
    It`s better upside down and in the dark...!

Post Thanks / Like
    First do not let the dealer prep the paint.

You can use the first two steps from the megs system and then use gold class.

There is many variations, it all depends on the look you want.

Posted edited.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say DO NOT let the dealer touch the paint(I think that is what edshwab1 meant to say), they are a bunch of HACKS! I would wash clay then start researching products here and find out what products will give the look and protection you want. The meg`s three step will be fine if that is what you have, there are better products available.

About the towels, DO NOT use fabric softener or dryer sheets, ever. DO wash the towels before you use them . Also, make sure that they are made in the USA. If you stay here long enough you will be looking into microfiber in no time. By the way, WELCOME to DC!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m with you on NOT letting the dealership do any thing to the paint. You want to clay the car almost all the new cars that I have worked on have rail dust. This is small bits of metal that comes from the fritcion of the trains wheels hitting the rail. On black you won`t be able to see it but I`d bet that its there.
    After that you should not need a swril remover, but on black it might be nessary.
    I`d polish then glaze and finish with a good wax or sealant. I drive a black car and this is about what i have been doing since I brought it in 99
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Perpetual Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whoa, Nellie! Almost all of them are a bunch of hacks. (We clay and polish our cars reasonably properly).

OK, now don`t let the dealer do your car.

If it was mine, I`d 3-step and make Meg`s #20 Poly Sealant or Meg`s Medallion Premium Paint Protectant step 3 (black car going into the fall.winter months).

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate the dealership and letting them detail. For new cars that are swirl free I would just apply a nice Sealent IE EX,UPP,Klasse Twins and then top with a Carnuba IE S100,P21S,Pinnicle Souveran. Hope this helps enjoy the new ride
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips, I `m taking notes, serioiusly. I have a little book I have to take everywhere so I have already listed the products I want to try and of course DC so I can find this place when I get home. I think I will finsh up the Meguires I have and the probably graduate to Poor Boys. I was looking at the Platinum product line. The Accord we have is silver but I can never seem to get a satisfactory shine on it. I was considering those product but that is some bucks. Probalby try that when I make Capt or something. I don`t like to mix and match too much, but adjustments must be made in pursuit of perfection.
    R3

Post Thanks / Like
    UPP on silver will make it "pop"

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Thomasfl
    UPP on silver will make it "pop"
    UPP looks great on every car I have applied it on, but the light colors just come alive! Silver looks sooo nice with UPP.

REACTOR`03, though I personally do not find UPP to be that expensive you can take comfort in the fact that it lasts forever. If you applied a couple of layers on your car and maintained it properly, you could easily get 4 months of good protection out of it. Good luck with whatever you choose, there is tons of good info here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll try to look for the UPP. Is that a Poor Boy product or am I confusing it with the EX? I was considering ordering the whole line, from PB probably will some time next month. I don`t recall seening a paint clearner from Poor Boy, but I guess the Meguires setp 1 will be fine. I think I have a lot of it left. That will come up with to a nice chunk of change considering I want to get the porta Cable 7424. I am a little hesitant since I have never used one and it will be a brand new car. Will doing it by had produce pretty good results? It will take time but by then I wil have lots of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    UPP is not Poorboys its from Platnium. Good luck with the whole line I believe tassadar has the whole line.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like

NO FABRIC SOFTENER

I heard you can use a "used" softener. Is this true?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m going to start smuggling detailing products, into the house. There is so much good stuff to buy I am not sure where to start. I think I willl start with the Platinum line. I have tride claying before but I don`t think I ever did it right.
    I know I have to clay the car because of the rail dust. I`m going to be real cautious. Now the UPP, does that get better with layers? How does that compare to trade Secret? Will I get good results if I do it all by hand?
    R3

I need to get out of this desert and detail something real bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by REACTOR `03
    I`m going to start smuggling detailing products, into the house. There is so much good stuff to buy I am not sure where to start. I think I willl start with the Platinum line. I have tride claying before but I don`t think I ever did it right.
    I know I have to clay the car because of the rail dust. I`m going to be real cautious. Now the UPP, does that get better with layers? How does that compare to trade Secret? Will I get good results if I do it all by hand?
    R3

I need to get out of this desert and detail something real bad.
    The platinum gets better with layers. I have applied as many as three with depth and shine increasing with each layer, after three I am not sure there is much difference as far as looks. To compare UPP with trade secret is probabaly not a fair comparison as UPP is a sealant and TS is a carnauba based product. You could always do three layers of UPP then top it with TS

Though I prefer to apply the UPP by PC and finishing pad because of the thin uniform layer I get, I have applied by hand many times with good results.

Keep researching products and find out exactly what you need for your detailing goals. Trust me within a year from now you will have more products than you know what to do with. It is all about finding products that work for you. Good luck in your future detailing ventures.

Boss_429
    Originally posted by EBPcivicsi

The platinum gets better with layers. I have applied as many as three with depth and shine increasing with each layer, after three I am not sure there is much difference as far as looks. To compare UPP with trade secret is probabaly not a fair comparison as UPP is a sealant and TS is a carnauba based product. You could always do three layers of UPP then top it with TS

That pretty much sums it up! I certainly would have nothing to add to that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information