Post Thanks / Like

Newbie and need advice...

Hi everyone! I just found this forum and I just signed up. I`ve been an auto enthusiast for a while, and I`m looking to get into the detailing business professionally.

I currently work a 40 hr/wk job that basically just pays the bills, but I want to do something that I really like--working on cars all day My problem is, I don`t know where or how to get started in the business. Right now, I definitely need my regular job, since my wife is pregnant, but I also would like to become a professional detailer ASAP!

How can I transition into this business? If I start part-time, how and where can I perform these jobs? Any advice for a very hungry and confused soul is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Regards,

Kon C

Post Thanks / Like

Read, read, read, then ...

Welcome.

Best advice, read the forums, read until you understand and can get a better feel for the larger picture techniques and products. Tough part will be to remember that not all products and/or techniques discussed here will be the most appropriate for detailing as a business, but a large part will. There is not a "quick" answer that I have found, read, learn, understand and then practice practice practice. There are a couple of people in the Ohio area, few of us are a bit north of you, but we are close enough to help out if you need to try something and do not have the right tools.

Good luck and happy detailing.

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Detailing Seminar

I am just like you and I just started my own mobile car detailing business. I work on the weekends with a buddy of mine. We own Advance Detail and you can see our site at www.advancedetail.com.

I started by going to a detailing seminar put on by Detail King. www.detailking.com. It was on a weekend in Pittsburgh, PA were you learn marketing techniques, pricing, and most importantantly car detailing tips and what products to use in a certain situation.

Let me know if you have any questions. We`ve been in business for about a month and have picked up a few customers already. Its also great because I go to school in Boston during the week and go home to CT to detail on the weekends. I bring in an extra 200 - 500 depending on the jobs we have scheduled.

Post Thanks / Like

An Image of a job we just finished

Here`s a Job we just finished, it was a lamboghini diablo VT

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to DC. IMO, becoming a professional detailer is not something that can be done ASAP. You could certainly begin getting paid to detail ASAP but becoming a true professional takes time, practice and experience.

Dwayne here at DC has some Meguiars videos that can help as a primer. Meguiars offers seminars geared toward professional detailers and extreme enthusiasts that you could attend. Maybe see if you can do a p/t apprenticeship at an auto body place or detailing shop nearby. Read a lot, ask lots of questions and practice practice practice. Process and procedure is way more important than what polish or wax you are using.

Good luck.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like

replies...

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do. It`s definitely a start in the right direction. Thanks for all your inputs, keep em coming!
    Regards,

Kon C

Thread Information