Post Thanks / Like

is this like a PC?

Hey all..

Have seen these ones advertised on ebay - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....category=32053 - just wondered if that looks any good ... variable speed - but it doesnt actually say random orbit.... I also dont know if I could put the megs pads onto it.

WHat do people think? let me know soon please as I`ll buy it if it`ll do the job!

Also..whats the purpose of variable speed? I.e. when would I use it slowly...and when faster?

Detail City Design Team Willard's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    are you in Carnegie, Victoria
    Australia
    ,, that where it is and they don`t ship to usa...

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks like a rotary buffer to me. It takes a lot of practice to not do damage to your paint with a rotary. A PC actually has a random orbit and does not spin fast at all.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

I need more sugar!!!!!! KleanFreak's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    kim do you honestly think that using a rotary is as hard as everyone makes it out to be?

I was like everyone else scared to use one and once i did it wasnt that bad you just got to take it slow have some patience and be careful.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Willard
    are you in Carnegie, Victoria
    Australia
    ,, that where it is and they don`t ship to usa...
    I do think he is in Australia.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep im in Australia Thats why I looked at that auction ..... o`wise from US, its gonna be like $50 alone for shipping (thats a big problem really...). If I could get that porter cable that dwayne has here in Aus, I would. See, it works out about $200AUS when the shipping is included (ship. probably more than $50)... I realyl dont think its worth spending so much.

So tell me, why is it harder with a rotary? I planned to just let it very lightly tough the surface, not applying any downward pressure (other than to keep it on the car)... and making sure its always moving, fairly slow up and down (air direction) but without holding it on the one area for any amount of time. Isnt this all there is to it? Basically, this is how I would operate it:

1. On clean bonnet, apply a small amount of prod.- also apply a bit onto the buffing bit. Then, gently hold the buffer onto the bonnet and switch it on.
    2. Make sure its always moving at a slow, but constant speed.
    3. Work on maybe a 2 feet by 2 feet area at a time.
    4. Stop once the product has been applied enough, then buff off with a MF towel or whatever.

This one`s speed is variable ... from 600rpm (which would be fairly slow ?). But yeh, what sort of damage can be done? like..I can see if you dont keep it perfectly parallel it would etch those marks, and if you held it in one place it could maybe burn - what else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, will it create more swirl marks because it is not random orbit???

Thread Information