Post Thanks / Like

SSR1 and Wool or SSR2/3

Got my order yesterday of QD+, SSR1, and Trim restorer (thanks Jeremy - the service has been absolutely TOP NOTCH as are the products!!!) and tried the SSR1 on my somewhat swirled trunk.

It removed some of the really fine swirls and left an AWESOME finish, but the swirls were still there. I tried by hand and with my el-cheapo buffer (not ready to take the plunge w/the PC) and still no dice.

Would applying the SSR1 with the synthetic wool pad that came with the buffer add a little bite to just get some SSR2 or 3 and try that? I also have a tube of ScratchX that I`m thinking I may try to use up (so the wife will let me get more PB`s stuff).... Rumor has it that the car (Infiniti G35) has thin paint/clearcoat, so this will probably be a once or twice deal (I`m 100% more careful when washing it now).

Any help will be greatly appreciated. You guys are the best!

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    you would need at least SSR2 or SSR2.5(which will be arriving in about 2 weeks) to remove swirls by hand...SSR1 is only meant for the very fine swirls and it polishes up the finish to a nice shine before the application of a wax or sealant...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Nissan paint is thin but your not going to tear it up with SSR1 by hand - Try a panel with the scratch X the follow it up with SSR1 for a glossy finish - getting out swirls by hand is hard but if you work slow and in small areas you should be able to accomplish what your after. (and some big forearms when your done!)
    You have activated my special ability....

Boss_429
    I would stay away from any kind of wool pads, unless you have a machine (rotary), and know how to use it, as you will probably end up with some serious swirls/hazing after the wool pad.

Just my two cents though? :dunno

Post Thanks / Like
    What exactly is the purpose of ScratchX? What would it do differently that PP, SSR1, SSR2, etc.?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rockford33
    What exactly is the purpose of ScratchX? What would it do differently that PP, SSR1, SSR2, etc.?
    I believe that Scratch X has a LOT of fillers. Consequently it does not get rid of swirls, it just hides them. The SSR`s get rid of them.

You NEED a PC.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I`ll try the ScratchX and see what happens. Following with SSR1 is what I plan to do - the tunk and sections I did with it the other day look awesome. Followed up with Klasse AIO + PB`s QD+ and it really shines and looks awesome, but still has spiderwebs/swirls.

I know I need a PC, but the wife already complains about my obscession with keeping the car clean and the amount of products I have for that purpose. So, dropping $150 on a PC is not an option right now. I`ll just have to be comfortable with building my forearms or using the el-cheapo buffer I have. I`ll ditch the wool and just go by hand for now. At least I`ll look like the Terminator when I`m done!

Not sure aobut the fillers in ScratchX - After a week of ownership, I had a surface scratch (looked like someone scraped up against my car with a zipper from a jacket) and I used ScratchX (how I ended up with the tube) and it`s been 4 months and it has not reappeared. So, I think there are some abrasives in it. But, according to Meguars`, it`s safe to use as often as you like. But, I don`t beleive that.

Thread Information