Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 03-28-2006

Default DA buffer ok for plastic?

Ok, now that I have my new porter cable DA7424 I want to find any excuse I can to use it.

Fortunatly I have a 2005 Dodge Caravan (company car) I can experiment with before I work on my own car.

Question:

The non textured head light lenses are pretty scratched up.

Can I use my PC DA buffer to work in the mother's alum. mag polish with a foam pad and then follow that with Mother's plasitc polish and again polish it with my PC DA Buffer?

Would this be easier and better than by hand?

On my 2005 GMC Yukon, would it be recommended that the above steps be done on the plastic lenses and tail lights just as routine maintenece, even if I do not notice any scratching?

If yes, would the above detailing school of thought apply to windshields as well?

Thanks a bunch,
Old 03-28-2006
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: DA buffer ok for plastic?

If the Caravan headlights are dull/yellow, and rough to the touch, by all means have at it with the Mag & Aluminum Polish, followed by Plastic Polish.

On the Yukon, I'd forgo to Mag & Aluminum Polish, and just do the Plastic Polish.

The windshield is glass, which is much harder than plastic. I wouldn't bother with it, as you'll end up with product down in any pits in the windshield, which can be quite annoying.
Old 03-28-2006

Thanks,

I am not clear whether your answer indicated if it is ok to use my PC DA buffer with the mother's mag and plastic polish on the headlamp lenses.

Is using the PC DA better and easier than by polishing by hand?

Also specifically on my 2005 GMC Yukon, should I be polishing the headlamp lenses as regualr maintenence?

If so, how often? once or twice a year?

I am thinking that doing this every so often would be good as sometimes I may not realize how lenses can get sctratched and dull until you polish them.
Old 03-28-2006
Mothers® Polish

Yes, using the PC7424 with both products is fine on the minivan.

Since the Yukon's lights are in better shape, I'd just use the Plastic Polish and the 7424 on them.

I'd use the 7424 and Plastic polish for maintenance every 6 months or so.
Old 03-28-2006

Makes great sense!

I want to thank you and everyone who helps out with all my questions. I am fairly new to all this but really enjoy doing it as a hobby.
Old 03-28-2006

One more question,

I just looked to see what mothers product I had. I have the Mother's Incredible Billet metal polish.

Any reason I cannot use this on my leadlamp lenses instead of the regular Mother's aluminum and mag polish?

Thanks again,
Old 03-28-2006
Administrator

Mag & Aluminum Polish has more cutting power... we recommend that for initial cuts on plastic for that reason.

Besides, it's much cheaper than Billet Polish.
Old 06-30-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest T. View Post
Yes, using the PC7424 with both products is fine on the minivan.

Since the Yukon's lights are in better shape, I'd just use the Plastic Polish and the 7424 on them.

I'd use the 7424 and Plastic polish for maintenance every 6 months or so.
Just got curious... If I were to use the PC7424, what lake country foam pads could we use for the Plastic Polish and the Mag & Aluminum Polish? Thanks.

My auto detailing experiences:
http://autodetailingexperience.blogspot.com/
Old 06-30-2007
Administrator

Keep in mind that you should probably be on the conservative side when selecting a pad to cut as well as to polish. If the lenses are so bad off that you expect a separate cutting stage and a polishing stage, then use consider the orange or the yellow (most aggressive) for cutting. For polishing, you could probably use white polishing or the black finishing pad.

If you're doing a light polishing, I'd probably choose the black finishing pad.

Like most things, it's not an exact science as personal preference and needs weigh in.

You might find that a PC is not the ideal machine for most wheel or headlight designs, which is why the PowerBalls work so well.
Old 06-30-2007

Thanks for the reply admin.

My auto detailing experiences:
http://autodetailingexperience.blogspot.com/
Old 07-01-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
You might find that a PC is not the ideal machine for most wheel or headlight designs, which is why the PowerBalls work so well.
I tried using the Mini-ball on a 2001 Chrysler Sebring headlights without significant improvement over what I could do by hand.

Would the Mag Wheel and Alum polish mentioned in this thread be more aggressive than that Plastic Polish? I have some Chrome polish but I doubt that will work any better than the plastic polish.
Old 07-01-2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnot View Post
I tried using the Mini-ball on a 2001 Chrysler Sebring headlights without significant improvement over what I could do by hand.

Would the Mag Wheel and Alum polish mentioned in this thread be more aggressive than that Plastic Polish? I have some Chrome polish but I doubt that will work any better than the plastic polish.
Mag Polish would indeed be more aggressive. You could also use PowerMetal (a liquid version). Be sure you lift the hood and/or mask the surrounding area with low-tack painter's tape to protect the finish. You'll still want to follow with Plastic Polish, but the extra cut in the aluminum polish should improve your results.
Old 07-01-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Mag Polish would indeed be more aggressive. You could also use PowerMetal (a liquid version). Be sure you lift the hood and/or mask the surrounding area with low-tack painter's tape to protect the finish. You'll still want to follow with Plastic Polish, but the extra cut in the aluminum polish should improve your results.
Thanks. I forgot to mention I have not used PowerPlastic either but I am guessing this would not be as good as the PowerMetal, etc products.
Old 07-01-2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnot View Post
Thanks. I forgot to mention I have not used PowerPlastic either but I am guessing this would not be as good as the PowerMetal, etc products.
"Good" is relative to the purpose. If the purpose is to cut through some haze, the Mag Polish or PowerMetal are what you want. Either plastic polish is just fine to finish with.

Granted, not every headlight can be resurrected -- some may be too far gone due to yellowing throughout, or internal issues, but it's worth a try.
Closed Thread

Tags
mag and aluminum polish, plastic headlights