Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 05-06-2006

Default Scratch Remover: better for stain removal too?

The description of Mothers Scratch Remover on Mothers web page contains only "scratch".

Beside scratches, is Scratch Remover more effective at removing tough stains than Mothers Pre-Wax Cleaner or Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax? It is chemically more aggressive too?

My question is about broad range of stains.

Currently, however, I am interested in removing the following stain (sorry for no picture).
On the lower part of rear quarter panel (painted plastic part), there is black stain right behind the rear wheel. I guess it is mixture of tire rubber and road grime. My rear wheel drive car has no traction control or differential lock. So the rear tires spun a lot in winter. This black stain was not removed by car washing or waxing with TurtleWax Platinum wax which seems to have weaker cleaning ability than Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax.

P.S.
Does Mothers Scratch Remover damage plastic trim?
Old 05-06-2006
Administrator

Default Re: Scratch Remover: better for stain removal too?

ktlimq,

Welcome back!

It is not clear from your description if there remains any residue, but it sounds like you had a "tar problem" and thus a bug and tar remover, mineral spirits or gum turpentine may help soften it for removal. Test in an inconspicuous area first.

Remove as much of the debris as you can before using your favorite cleaner wax product. If your cleaner wax product makes no improvement, you might try a pre-wax cleaner; if that does not help, a scratch remover product might.

Often times on a permanent stain there will be evidence of a deterioration of the paint surface.

One has to be careful that in attempting to remove such an invasive stain on any material might also mean removing the clearcoat or some of the basecoat -- whether it is painted plastic or painted metal, you are still treating paint.

You probably realize that paint on plastic surfaces can tend to be delicate, so extra care must be taken.

Without a picture, it is difficult to say the best approach to recommend, but sometimes stains are something that we have to live with.
Old 05-07-2006

Default Re: Scratch Remover: better for stain removal too?

This is the one area of the car where I have successfully used Dawn dishwashing detergent. I am a firm believer that Dawn is too harsh to wash an entire car with ... however .... the grease-cutting ability of Dawn might be just the ticket to get your stain out. Plan to wax the area when you're done.

'15 Dodge Challenger SRT - B5 Blue
'17 Dodge Durango R/T - Granite Crystal
Closed Thread