Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 06-28-2007

Default Hello Everyone

Hello Everyone

Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I'm new on this board and would like to introduce myself. My name is Ian, I have an 2001 ford mustang gt. I live in Toronto Ontario, Canada. I don't have much experince in detailing but I'm willing learn. I want to do the clay bar and three step process to my car. I have a question about one of the products. I have a product that is called mothers original wax cleaner. I am wondering what is the difference between step 3 and mothers original wax clearner. Are these products the same?
Old 06-28-2007

Default Re: Hello Everyone

Welcome. Check out the www.detailguide.com. It is helpful.

Mother's Cleaner Wax is a one step carnauba product. It cleans you paint by polishing it, and it leaves behind a protective coat of wax.

The Ultimate Wax System consists of three phases: P1 - Pre-wax Cleaner; P2 - Sealer & Glaze; and P3 - Pure Carnauba wax. P1 is a polish that preps the surfaces. P2 is a glaze that helps hide surface defects and adds a glossy shine, and P3 is a wax that adds the protection.

The Cleaner Wax really combines the phases of the UWS. It is good for people who are crunched for time. It works well especially on paint in good condition. The UWS is more intensive and time consuming, but the three individual steps usually provide better over all results, especially on darker colors.

I would wash, clay, and then decide which route works best for you. Both methods provide very good results.
Old 06-28-2007
Administrator

Welcome, 01mineralgt!

The product you have is our original Carnauba Cleaner Wax. It's a very fine product, so much so that we include a 4 ounce bottle in our California Gold Clay Bar kit. It's what is considered a "one-step product."

For some cars, three steps is better -- your mineral gray might like the extra TLC that a 3-step Ultimate Wax System gives, but it depends on the condition of the vehicle and how careful your eye is (and your ambition).

Do you have light oxidation? Do you have light (or prominent) spiderwebbing? What have you been doing (or not) and what don't you like about the way the car looks now?

All these can help us help you determine your approach.

Of course, keep in mind that just because you use a one-step this time, doesn't mean you can't use the 3-step next time; once you "install" the 3-step, you can simply maintain it for the season with just periodic coats of Pure Carnauba Wax (step 3) or spray wax after every wash or so.

And you're right, a great start is to use the clay. Wash thoroughly and then detail before claying or waxing. You could then try the Carnauba Cleaner Wax in a test area and see how it looks. If you think it's not getting rid of some of the defects to your liking, move on to the 3-step. The big difference is step 2, Sealer & Glaze, which helps fill the spiderwebbing and give it depth.

You can't go wrong with the 3-step Ultimate Wax System, that's for sure, so long as you don't mind the extra steps. Mineral gray is a color that, if the finish is lacking, can really pop with the 3-step. But if you only have time for Carnauba Cleaner Wax this time around, then do the 3-step in a month or two.
Old 06-28-2007
Administrator

How come Bama said what I said but with fewer words???
Old 06-28-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
How come Bama said what I said but with fewer words???
Living with my wife, I have learned to get to the point. If I didn't, I would never get to talk.
Old 06-28-2007

Thanks guys, this what I was looking for. I just wanted to check with the experts first. I am certainly going to do the 3 step process. My paint is currently in really good shape. However I do want the paint to "pop", so I will do the 3 step. Thanks again
Closed Thread